Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,086 Members 54,131 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

I rooted when I got the phone and want to upgrade to 4.4.2 from 4.2.2

Tip us?
 
Patrickq1236
Old
(Last edited by Patrickq1236; 20th April 2014 at 09:11 AM.)
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 7
Join Date: Apr 2014
Default I rooted when I got the phone and want to upgrade to 4.4.2 from 4.2.2

I have the 4.2.2 rooted, and I'd like to upgrade to 4.4.2, is it really as simple as just getting a 4.4.2 ROM? or are there any other things I need? I'm sorry I'm pretty new when it comes to android stuff, it scares me really the thought of accidentally getting a $700 paperweight.

other information:
baseband version is M919UVUAMDL
kernel version is 3.4.0-453951 se.infra@SEP-133#1
build # is JDQ39.M919UVUMADL

OK so an update. I guess I literally don't have any idea what I'm doing, I just spent about 2 hours reading around here and honestly couldn't find a single guide or even where to start on how to do this, install a custom rom or anything. I seriously regret rooting and wish I could just do this OTA...... the root benefits do not outweigh what i'm expected to know to upgrade now
 
JORDVN
Old
(Last edited by JORDVN; 20th April 2014 at 09:46 AM.)
#2  
JORDVN's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 68
Posts: 246
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Las Vegas

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
I have the 4.2.2 rooted, and I'd like to upgrade to 4.4.2, is it really as simple as just getting a 4.4.2 ROM? or are there any other things I need? I'm sorry I'm pretty new when it comes to android stuff, it scares me really the thought of accidentally getting a $700 paperweight.

other information:
baseband version is M919UVUAMDL
kernel version is 3.4.0-453951 se.infra@SEP-133#1
build # is JDQ39.M919UVUMADL

OK so an update. I guess I literally don't have any idea what I'm doing, I just spent about 2 hours reading around here and honestly couldn't find a single guide or even where to start on how to do this, install a custom rom or anything. I seriously regret rooting and wish I could just do this OTA...... the root benefits do not outweigh what i'm expected to know to upgrade now
Hello friend, do not be discouraged. Do you have access to a PC? I sure hope so. First things first, download the latest version of TWRP recovery, it's great. Flash it via ODIN in the PDA slot. Okay now you have a good new recovery, now you need the latest baseband. What you need to do is download the NB4 baseband before you do anything as far as getting a ROM. There are tutorials in the general section of the T-Mobile s4. You're going to download the modem, flash it via ODIN by extracting the zip and placing it into the phone slot of odin(the tutorials are way better at the steps then I am) then flashing, and then you'll be on the newest baseband(modem). Then you need to find yourself a ROM. Thess can be found in the Android development section of the T-Mobile s4. I personally recommend Insane Kitkat. But find one that you like... I hope this helped friend. Let me know.


Edit: if you're not sure how to get to any of these things, Google them! Google NB4 modem T-Mobile s4, Google TWRP T-Mobile s4.. Etc.. It's easy!

Edit edit: here friend, links

http://odindownload.com
This is Odin

http://teamw.in/project/twrp2/179

Scroll down to the part where it says download the latest odin flashable TAR This is the latest version of TWRP

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2678774

[MDL Bootloader Only!] How to flash 4.4.2 NB4 Modem

This is the step by step tutorial to flash the modem. It has link for downloading modem and odin. Be sure to follow EVERY STEP exactly

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2683507

[ROM] Insane Kit Kat[TW- NB4][AROM

Here's the ROM

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda app-developers app
Addicted to ROMs. My body is always ready
The Following User Says Thank You to JORDVN For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Patrickq1236
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 7
Join Date: Apr 2014
So I JUST did the NB4 thing you linked and it worked fine, I already downoaded the insane rom, it looked cool.
I guess my next question is, what exactly do I do to install the rom?
 
JORDVN
Old
#4  
JORDVN's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 68
Posts: 246
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Las Vegas

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickq1236 View Post
So I JUST did the NB4 thing you linked and it worked fine, I already downoaded the insane rom, it looked cool.
I guess my next question is, what exactly do I do to install the rom?
Alright so you've got nb4 modem and twrp recovery now? Did you make sure nb4 stayed? Is it in your phone info? The baseband should end in NB4 now. We'll once you have the ROM, place it on your external sd card then boot into recovery by turning off your phone. Now hold the volume up key + Power until the device boots into Samsung logo and you'll see blue letters at top left, let go of buttons at that point. You'll see TWRP image then you're in your recovery. Now you're gonna go to advanced option or whenever the advanced wiping option is located. Wipe system, internal, etc. Wipe everything EXCEPT external SD card and the last option, don't wipe external because that's where the ROM is. Now, go back to home of the TWRP, DO NOT REBOOT. Now click install, navigate to your external sd card and find the ROM. Select it and it select full install. You're given a bunch of different options as to what you want added. After it installs, reboot and you're good to go. Thess instructions can be found on the page where you got the ROM. He tells you to do a full wipe, etc. Let me know how it goes.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda app-developers app
Addicted to ROMs. My body is always ready
The Following User Says Thank You to JORDVN For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Patrickq1236
Old
(Last edited by Patrickq1236; 20th April 2014 at 07:20 PM.)
#5  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 7
Join Date: Apr 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by JORDVN View Post
Alright so you've got nb4 modem and twrp recovery now? Did you make sure nb4 stayed? Is it in your phone info? The baseband should end in NB4 now. We'll once you have the ROM, place it on your external sd card then boot into recovery by turning off your phone. Now hold the volume up key + Power until the device boots into Samsung logo and you'll see blue letters at top left, let go of buttons at that point. You'll see TWRP image then you're in your recovery. Now you're gonna go to advanced option or whenever the advanced wiping option is located. Wipe system, internal, etc. Wipe everything EXCEPT external SD card and the last option, don't wipe external because that's where the ROM is. Now, go back to home of the TWRP, DO NOT REBOOT. Now click install, navigate to your external sd card and find the ROM. Select it and it select full install. You're given a bunch of different options as to what you want added. After it installs, reboot and you're good to go. Thess instructions can be found on the page where you got the ROM. He tells you to do a full wipe, etc. Let me know how it goes.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda app-developers app
soooooooo yeah. I did that. moved the zip over to the SD card, booted into recovery mode, wiped, went back to install and now I can't find the zip. i know it's there because I double checked to make sure it was moved. it would help if TWRP wasn't so picky and chooses the FIRST thing i come close to tapping. I think I just screwed up

So I think I just found it, it was way at the bottom, and I like I said I couln't move anything without going somewhere else, almost always.
 
JORDVN
Old
#6  
JORDVN's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 68
Posts: 246
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Las Vegas

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickq1236 View Post
soooooooo yeah. I did that. moved the zip over to the SD card, booted into recovery mode, wiped, went back to install and now I can't find the zip. i know it's there because I double checked to make sure it was moved. it would help if TWRP wasn't so picky and chooses the FIRST thing i come close to tapping. I think I just screwed up

So I think I just found it, it was way at the bottom, and I like I said I couln't move anything without going somewhere else, almost always.
I'm confused friend. So you moved it to your external sd card? And when you went into the install option in TWRP you made sure you were in the external sd card section? At the top it says internal by default every time and you have to tap it then navigate to external then find your file. Easiest way is to make a folder on external called "ROM" place it in there, then go into recovery and flash. What do you mean by TWRP being picky?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda app-developers app
Addicted to ROMs. My body is always ready
 
Patrickq1236
Old
#7  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 7
Join Date: Apr 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by JORDVN View Post
I'm confused friend. So you moved it to your external sd card? And when you went into the install option in TWRP you made sure you were in the external sd card section? At the top it says internal by default every time and you have to tap it then navigate to external then find your file. Easiest way is to make a folder on external called "ROM" place it in there, then go into recovery and flash. What do you mean by TWRP being picky?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda app-developers app
I got it now, and the phone is working fine, thank goodness lol. But what i meant was as soon as I would try to scroll no matter where I taped to start scrolling it wouldn't give me the chance to move my finger, it wouldn't even recognize that I even tried to move, it would just go
 
JORDVN
Old
#8  
JORDVN's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 68
Posts: 246
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Las Vegas

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickq1236 View Post
I got it now, and the phone is working fine, thank goodness lol. But what i meant was as soon as I would try to scroll no matter where I taped to start scrolling it wouldn't give me the chance to move my finger, it wouldn't even recognize that I even tried to move, it would just go
Well, glad to hear that your device is now working

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda app-developers app
Addicted to ROMs. My body is always ready

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


TRENDING IN THEMER...