Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,535 Members 39,980 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

WiFi Not Working - MAC Unavailable

Tip us?

DarkXPSX
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default WiFi Not Working - MAC Unavailable

Firmware: Cyanogenmod 11.

A few days ago, I decided to use my tablet to read a book and listen to music using Pandora. When I tried turning on the WiFi in settings, the "ON" would show up, but it would stay faded out. Once the screen shut off, I turned it back on and the switch was back to the off position. I assumed it was just a bug in the version of Cyanogen that I was using, so I downgraded to a version of 11 that I did not have any problems with. It did not solve the issue. I used "wipe data/factory reset", "wipe cache partition", and "advanced>wipe dalvik cache" before and after the downgrade.

I also tried installing version 10.2 using Clock Work Mod Recovery v6.0.4.5, but I kept getting an error:
-----
assert failed: getprop("ro.product.device") == "acclaim" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "acclaim"
E:Error in /storage/sdcard1/cmupdater/cm-10.2-20131210-NIGHTLY-acclaim.zip
(Status 7)
-----

I also noticed that the MAC Address (Settings>About Tablet>Status) was "Unavailable".

One more thing, a couple weeks before this happened, I did have the bottom portion of the device to fall into some water. I would estimate that 1/5 of the device fell into the water. I left the device leaning against the wall for two days so that if any water did get inside, it would drain out. I tested the device out after the two days and it still worked, but I do not remember testing the WiFi. I am going to guess that this is the cause, but I would rather make sure that it is as much as possible.

So, if anyone has any ideas, I am willing to hear them.

digixmax
Old
Thanks Meter 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkXPSX View Post
Firmware: Cyanogenmod 11.

A few days ago, I decided to use my tablet to read a book and listen to music using Pandora. When I tried turning on the WiFi in settings, the "ON" would show up, but it would stay faded out. Once the screen shut off, I turned it back on and the switch was back to the off position. I assumed it was just a bug in the version of Cyanogen that I was using, so I downgraded to a version of 11 that I did not have any problems with. It did not solve the issue. I used "wipe data/factory reset", "wipe cache partition", and "advanced>wipe dalvik cache" before and after the downgrade.

I also tried installing version 10.2 using Clock Work Mod Recovery v6.0.4.5, but I kept getting an error:
-----
assert failed: getprop("ro.product.device") == "acclaim" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "acclaim"
E:Error in /storage/sdcard1/cmupdater/cm-10.2-20131210-NIGHTLY-acclaim.zip
(Status 7)
-----
To flash CM10.x, you need to use a version of CWM older than 6.0.4.5.

Quote:
I also noticed that the MAC Address (Settings>About Tablet>Status) was "Unavailable".

One more thing, a couple weeks before this happened, I did have the bottom portion of the device to fall into some water. I would estimate that 1/5 of the device fell into the water. I left the device leaning against the wall for two days so that if any water did get inside, it would drain out. I tested the device out after the two days and it still worked, but I do not remember testing the WiFi. I am going to guess that this is the cause, but I would rather make sure that it is as much as possible.

So, if anyone has any ideas, I am willing to hear them.
The MAC Address (Settings>About Tablet>Status) should show up even when WiFi is off.

If a clean re-install of CM with "wipe /data & factory reset" does not fix the problem your WiFi chip might be a goner.

DarkXPSX
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by digixmax View Post
To flash CM10.x, you need to use a version of CWM older than 6.0.4.5.

The MAC Address (Settings>About Tablet>Status) should show up even when WiFi is off.

If a clean re-install of CM with "wipe /data & factory reset" does not fix the problem your WiFi chip might be a goner.
Thanks man. I will give it a shot after I finish studying and mowing the lawn.

DarkXPSX
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I was able to downgrade and I did a factory reset in CWM. After I got to the home screen (Is that what it is called?), I tried turning on the WiFi, and it ended with the same results. So, I guess it is finally time to buy a new tablet.

Thank you for the help digixmax!