Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,579 Members 43,371 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Can anyone confirm if the Moto G would work on AT&T with a data block?

Tip us?

deepen915
Old
(Last edited by deepen915; 22nd January 2014 at 10:43 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 37
Default Can anyone confirm if the Moto G would work on AT&T with a data block?

I read the other thread above me, and the guy said AT&T didn't detect is as a smartphone in their system. I want to make sure 100pct before I buy it off of Amazon. And I will be getting the Global GSM version. also I read there is a GPe version? but on Google's site, it says compatible with AT&T, so I would assume it is probably flagged at AT&T.

referring to this thread BTW: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2585854

"It won't connect to mobile network. Called AT&T and they said the IMEI is not recognized in their system as a phone, and as such, will not be assigned a data plan."

slippers67
Old
Thanks Meter 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepen915 View Post
I read the other thread above me, and the guy said AT&T didn't detect is as a smartphone in their system. I want to make sure 100pct before I buy it off of Amazon. And I will be getting the Global GSM version. also I read there is a GPe version? but on Google's site, it says compatible with AT&T, so I would assume it is probably flagged at AT&T.

referring to this thread BTW: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2585854

"It won't connect to mobile network. Called AT&T and they said the IMEI is not recognized in their system as a phone, and as such, will not be assigned a data plan."
No issues here. I'm on AT&T, and simply took the sim card out of my One X and plugged it into my global gsm moto g. Selected the AT&T APN, rebooted, and no issues with data over HSPA.

deepen915
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by slippers67 View Post
No issues here. I'm on AT&T, and simply took the sim card out of my One X and plugged it into my global gsm moto g. Selected the AT&T APN, rebooted, and no issues with data over HSPA.
no, I DON'T want the Data plan to be active lol, that was my question. I am trying to use it with a line that has a data block. Currently there is an international unlocked LG P500 on the line. AT&T sees it as unknown..

shlurpee
Old
Thanks Meter 2
It won't work. This is what happened to me. At first they blocked data, then they turned me on to a pay-as-you-go data plan, which was $2/mb. It added up very quickly to $60. So I would not recommend using this device without a data plan attached.

deepen915
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by shlurpee View Post
It won't work. This is what happened to me. At first they blocked data, then they turned me on to a pay-as-you-go data plan, which was $2/mb. It added up very quickly to $60. So I would not recommend using this device without a data plan attached.
oh dammit -_- .. I thought I finally found a non flagged phone for AT&T.. do you have any other phone suggestions to use without being caught as a smartphone by AT&T?

mcca555
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
oh dammit -_- .. I thought I finally found a non flagged phone for AT&T.. do you have any other phone suggestions to use without being caught as a smartphone by AT&T?
have you tried just turning off data. Even if they put you on pay as you go, you could disable data.

I am wondering the same thing.

deepen915
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 37
So I've had the Moto G for a week now.. I disabled data before inserting the SIM. So far, no issues (crossing fingers) with being detected. the AT&T My Devices page shows it as a Motorola device, but no image. I also haven't received any data plan texts from AT&T. I disabled background data as well, just to be safe. Let's hope for the best!

xaudiblex
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
So I've had the Moto G for a week now.. I disabled data before inserting the SIM. So far, no issues (crossing fingers) with being detected. the AT&T My Devices page shows it as a Motorola device, but no image. I also haven't received any data plan texts from AT&T. I disabled background data as well, just to be safe. Let's hope for the best!
deepen915, any update on whether they forced a data plan on you?

Thanks in advance!

deepen915
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by xaudiblex View Post
deepen915, any update on whether they forced a data plan on you?

Thanks in advance!
nope 2 months and no issues.. It showed up as Unknown Motorola device.

But we have now switched to the 10GB Mobile Share Value plan so that won't be an issue for us.