Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,034 Members 47,228 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

what's the other hole for?

Tip us?
 
djricekcn
Old
#1  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
Posts: 235
Join Date: Sep 2010
Default what's the other hole for?

What's the other hole at the bottom of the USB for? I noticed that the USB cable that comes with the S5 covers both holes but I've been using a Micro USB to charge it...does it make it charge faster or something?
 
gilbnx
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 7
Posts: 132
Join Date: Dec 2005
USB 3.0 standard plug.

Sent from my SM-G900T using xda premium
Gil B.
T-Mo Samsung Galaxy S 5

Ex. T-mo SGS-4, T-mo SGSIII,SGS II, Samsung Captivate GB, Tilt-2...
 
djricekcn
Old
#3  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
Posts: 235
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbnx View Post
USB 3.0 standard plug.

Sent from my SM-G900T using xda premium
i see...so it's mainly for data transfering then? or does it charge faster to compared with microusb (looking from bottom, i only have it plugged in the right side with micro usb)
 
chastity
Old
#4  
Member
Thanks Meter 20
Posts: 76
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Houston
Quote:
Originally Posted by djricekcn View Post
i see...so it's mainly for data transfering then? or does it charge faster to compared with microusb (looking from bottom, i only have it plugged in the right side with micro usb)
It charges a lot faster indeed.
Chastity

- It's a freezer burn compared to cool
 
paesan
Old
#5  
Member
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 99
Join Date: Mar 2010
The difference is usb 3 vs usb 2. If you are using for instance an S4 cable you are connected at usb 2 speeds. The cable supplied with the S5 has 2 parts because it is usb 3 connection. You will definitely get a faster data transfer speed using the usb 3 cable. I would guess that charging would be faster also but I can't verify that. One of the big upgrades in the S5 is usb 3 compared to usb 2 for the S4.
 
Eric214
Old
#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 117
Posts: 547
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Philly
Quote:
Originally Posted by paesan View Post
The difference is usb 3 vs usb 2. If you are using for instance an S4 cable you are connected at usb 2 speeds. The cable supplied with the S5 has 2 parts because it is usb 3 connection. You will definitely get a faster data transfer speed using the usb 3 cable. I would guess that charging would be faster also but I can't verify that. One of the big upgrades in the S5 is usb 3 compared to usb 2 for the S4.
That's also reliant on the fact that your PC or whatever it is you are connecting to is USB 3. You can't get USB 3 speeds if your connecting to a USB 2 port on the PC.
Current Phone

T-Mobile 32GB - Rooted Wicked v5 (TWRP 2.6.3.8)

Current Tablet
Galaxy Note 10.1 32GB 2014 Edition

Retired Phones
Galaxy S4 (VZW MDK) sold to pay for my Note 3
Droid Bionic - Traded for Note 3
Droid X - Now a WiFi phone.
 
fastfed
Old
#7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 58
Posts: 858
Join Date: Feb 2008
It's the one where she goes "AHHHHHHHHHH"

and you go "sorry"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fastfed For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Eric214
Old
#8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 117
Posts: 547
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Philly
DOH!
Current Phone

T-Mobile 32GB - Rooted Wicked v5 (TWRP 2.6.3.8)

Current Tablet
Galaxy Note 10.1 32GB 2014 Edition

Retired Phones
Galaxy S4 (VZW MDK) sold to pay for my Note 3
Droid Bionic - Traded for Note 3
Droid X - Now a WiFi phone.
 
ruler501
Old
#9  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 11
Join Date: Oct 2012
The faster charging only applies to charging from plugging into a computer. USB 3.0 ports have higher maximum output than USB 2.0

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

Benchmark Your CPU Performance with Mini CPU Integer Script

When it comes to device testing, there are two types of people on XDA. The first … more

Rid Yourself of Charging Annoyances with No Wake on Charge Xposed Module

Almost every OEM has skinned and otherwise modifiedAndroid to suit … more