5,600,725 Members 38,900 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[PHOTOS] ISOCELL camera discussion - my review is up!

Tip us?

olaf63
Old
Thanks Meter 20
I find S5 images too contrasty AND in shade a bit underexposed. For this besides the great detail i prefer S4 ones more.

gavinfabl
Old
Thanks Meter 347
Cadover Bridge, Dartmoor
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-04-16 20.29.21.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	286.3 KB
ID:	2697562  
A New Tech Blog
http://www.gavinsgadgets.co.uk

14 part review of HTC One M8, S5, Gear Fit+ 15 more http://gavinsgadgets.wordpress.com/review-links/

17 Smartphone Camera Shootout incl S5, M8, 1020, http://gavinsgadgets.wordpress.com/2...y-nokia-apple/
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gavinfabl For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

system.img
Old
Thanks Meter 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by olaf63 View Post
I find S5 images too contrasty AND in shade a bit underexposed. For this besides the great detail i prefer S4 ones more.
HDR solves your problems.

olaf63
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by system.img View Post
HDR solves your problems.
Hdr is good but i prefer a more classic approach and in shady scenes i have to rise exposition. Not so point and shoot indeed.

BoneXDA
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by olaf63 View Post
Hdr is good but i prefer a more classic approach and in shady scenes i have to rise exposition. Not so point and shoot indeed.
That's cause the S5 avoids white clipping, it's a conscious choice. You're always one tap from HDR or can use different metering, leave them on and not bother...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaznxplaya View Post
L

Sent from my s5, you Mirin?
Gotta love the natural color balance.

Pako7
Old
Thanks Meter 254

DONATE TO ME
Results "blind test" cameras on smartphones spent a week ago MobileReview. Also numbered and a named source images and the opinion of the testing RomeoWhite (MR)

PS .. the dough is not SGS5 flagship, I would say, on the sidelines.. I'm badly shocked But somehow in poor light in front of all
The Following User Says Thank You to Pako7 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

brazcub
Old
Thanks Meter 24

DONATE TO ME
Went hiking up there hill behind my house today and took this selfie using voice command.

Sent from my SM-G900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1398052962583.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	2699195  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brazcub For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

leoaudio13
Old
Thanks Meter 173

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pako7 View Post
Results "blind test" cameras on smartphones spent a week ago MobileReview. Also numbered and a named source images and the opinion of the testing RomeoWhite (MR)

PS .. the dough is not SGS5 flagship, I would say, on the sidelines.. I'm badly shocked But somehow in poor light in front of all
Gah its ranked 6th ... how lame :P

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

gavinfabl
Old
Thanks Meter 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoaudio13 View Post

I'm enjoying the S5 camera. Yes it's got weaknesses but it's great in the rain
A New Tech Blog
http://www.gavinsgadgets.co.uk

14 part review of HTC One M8, S5, Gear Fit+ 15 more http://gavinsgadgets.wordpress.com/review-links/

17 Smartphone Camera Shootout incl S5, M8, 1020, http://gavinsgadgets.wordpress.com/2...y-nokia-apple/
The Following User Says Thank You to gavinfabl For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ecopy
Old
(Last edited by ecopy; Today at 07:27 AM.) Reason: syntx
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoaudio13 View Post

Hehe, this list is NOT A RANK =) it's just a list of competitors to link the numbers on photos to the smartphones' models. More of that, a half of the pie diagrams shows us "WORST PICTURE" vote results. So to avoid misunderstanding, I'd translate the conclusion which the author put in the end of that text

Here it goes.

Conclusion
At the end I want to give simply statistics on the frequency of a mentioning of smartphones in categories of the best and worst pictures.

The best pictures category.
Four times among the best there were pictures made with Nokia Lumia 1020 (a mode of 38 Mpix), Samsung Galaxy S5 and Sony Xperia Z2 (auto, 8 Mpix). Three times LG G2 and Sony Xperia Z2 (manual mode) got on the top. Samsung Galaxy Camera 2, HTC One smartphones (M8) and Apple iPhone 5S appeared among the best quality pictures only one time. Also we have one smartphone which never got to the top 3, it is Nokia Lumia 1520.

If we want to elect the absolute leader in the category, Sony Xperia Z2 smartphone is the one. Four times the pictures made in "auto, 8 Mpix" mode, and three times – in manual mode, seven times in total.

The worst pictures category.
One device was chosen among the worst quality pictures six times, and surprisingly, it's FujiFilm X20 camera (the average cost of 20 000 rubles (Aprox. 570 USD, (ecopy))). It is possible to tell that this device is rather for vanity, than qualitative on optics and other parameters (actually, it is not so), it is possible to tell that it performs well in a manual mode and isn't intended for shooting in "auto" (and it is the truth, in the manual X20 mode it is capable to give out tremendous shots), but the fact remains. The majority of the voted people is more often than other pictures as the worst chose the pictures taken with a camera of 20 000 rubles cost. And this clearly proofs of that smartphones not simply caught up with digital compact cameras in the matter of quality of shooting, but also overtook the majority of them. Five times Nokia Lumia 1020 (that is strange) was choosen among the worst as well as Nokia Lumia 1520 (logically, among the best it was in general never). Four times among the worst were mentioned the pictures made with HTC One (M8). One smartphone was never chosen as the worst photos on quality – Samsung Galaxy S5.

If to choose the worst smartphone in category, Nokia Lumia 1520 appeared to be the one, its photos were chosen as the worst the greatest number of times. The X20 camera, of course, acted even worse, but it is not after all the smartphone. On the second place counting from the end – HTC One (M8), on the third – Nokia Lumia 1020.

---------- Post added at 10:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 AM ----------

By the way, my S5 sometimes has a pink spot How i hoped that they got rid off of this after 3 years with S2 .. grrr..

The Following User Says Thank You to ecopy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]