5,606,588 Members 35,470 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Hints n Tips

Tip us?

alldroid
Old
(Last edited by alldroid; 30th December 2013 at 11:14 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 194
Default Hints n Tips

Just thought a little hints and tips thread may help new users,so please share any you may think will help new users,or even old users who may not be aware.I will update this post as more are added.Here's a couple from me you may or not know.

although you cannot directly edit an icons default size there is a workaround.When creating your theme,instead of adding an apps icon from your apps list,click on the plus sign at the bottom and select add image,select an icon you wish to use and click add.You can then resize this via style/scale.Remember though to assign the new icon to an app by using hotspot.

made a theme and none of your icons work,or it simply reverts back to the edit screen when selected ? remember to switch on hotspot after adding,this will prevent this.

working on a theme and not sure what colours work ? try here http://www.pictaculous.com/

Using photoshop to create wallpapers ? here's a tip to help get seamless multiple screen.This is just an example but will work with all images used for wallpapers.On my phone the resolution is 480X800 so for a three screen theme I want to create an image three times the size ie 1920X800,the height should always be the same.Once you have image you want,go into your toolbox and click on the slice tool.Then right click on the image and select divide slice.In the box that appears the bottom section select divide vertically and enter a number,in this case it's 1920 divided by three which will give three screens of 480X800.Click on save for web and away you go three seamless screens.
support Prostate cancer visit www.prostatecanceruk.org/menunited and sign up NOW

So long and thanks for all the fish
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alldroid For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dj_mol3y_x8
Old
Thanks Meter 389
Some tips and hints from me
Here goes

1. When ever creating a new theme do a full export not just save the widgets as many users are finding after a re-boot all the work they have done has gone. And there is a big difference between save widget and export and they are save widget will allow you to save a widget so for ex you could make a clock once then have the same clock on 2 or more screens.
Where's export will save the whole theme. So even if you are left with a black screen after a reboot all that is needed is to reapply the theme.

2. For each everything widget added make sure no to have more then 18 hot spots as when you go back to your screen after edit items will disappear.
The work around is to add 2 everything widgets to each page 1 for the top half and one for the bottom half

3. To add extra fonts to themer place the .ttf file in MyColorScreen-themer-everythingwidget-customfonts

4. To add extra weather icon set place the weather icon folder in MyColorScreen-themer-evrythingwidget-weathericons
I will soon do a tutorial on how to make your own weather icon folders.

5. To add theme that are not downloaded from themer.
Place the theme.zip file to MyColorScreen-themer-expoted-zip

6. To get a preview of you theme in browse theme exported my themes. Just take a screen shot of your home screen and place it in MyColorScreen-themer-exported-thumbs
REMEMBER to rename the screen shot to the same name as the theme

All the best

Moley

Sent from my RAZR I screen to your screen using a strange thing known as the world wide web
SIII evolution ics rom for x8
testing build 4 v3 (by dj_mol3y_x8 & rishabh.raj37)
if you like my work please hit the THANKS button!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dj_mol3y_x8 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ThemerSupport
Old
Official Themer Rep
Thanks Meter 341
Thanks @alldroid and @dj_mol3y_x8,

We also advise people to watch the Themer videos on the MyColorScreen YouTube channel that comes with a few tips and tricks.

Here is the link: http://bit.ly/1eDDcz9
Apply beautiful themes to your phone in one click with Themer by MyColorScreen.

Learn more at ThemerApp.com.
The Following User Says Thank You to ThemerSupport For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

[SIC]
Old
Thanks Meter 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_mol3y_x8 View Post
Some tips and hints from me
Here goes

1. When ever creating a new theme do a full export not just save the widgets as many users are finding after a re-boot all the work they have done has gone. And there is a big difference between save widget and export and they are save widget will allow you to save a widget so for ex you could make a clock once then have the same clock on 2 or more screens.
Where's export will save the whole theme. So even if you are left with a black screen after a reboot all that is needed is to reapply the theme.

2. For each everything widget added make sure no to have more then 18 hot spots as when you go back to your screen after edit items will disappear.
The work around is to add 2 everything widgets to each page 1 for the top half and one for the bottom half

3. To add extra fonts to themer place the .ttf file in MyColorScreen-themer-everythingwidget-customfonts

4. To add extra weather icon set place the weather icon folder in MyColorScreen-themer-evrythingwidget-weathericons
I will soon do a tutorial on how to make your own weather icon folders.

5. To add theme that are not downloaded from themer.
Place the theme.zip file to MyColorScreen-themer-expoted-zip

6. To get a preview of you theme in browse theme exported my themes. Just take a screen shot of your home screen and place it in MyColorScreen-themer-exported-thumbs
REMEMBER to rename the screen shot to the same name as the theme

All the best

Moley

Sent from my RAZR I screen to your screen using a strange thing known as the world wide web
Nice, was kinda of an eyesore however there's one theme that's hussling me.
I've tried all kinds of different variants i.e "Dark Orange", "dark_orange", "darkorange" without luck, any ideas?

"On Time" works fine which just makes it even more strange
ST18i Black: JellySandwich 7.x
GT-I9100: Chameleon v3.0.4 Samsung/AOKP hybrid[4.1.2]@213dpi powered by Apolo JB 4.13 TWRP -RIP

[sic] Sic (=thus, so), invariably bracketed and usually set in italics, is used to indicate that a preceding word or phrase in a quoted passage is reproduced as it appeared in the original passage.
Sic at its best is intended to aid readers who might be confused about whether the quoter or the quoted writer is responsible for the spelling or grammatical anomaly.

ThemerSupport
Old
Official Themer Rep
Thanks Meter 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by [SIC] View Post
Nice, was kinda of an eyesore however there's one theme that's hussling me.
I've tried all kinds of different variants i.e "Dark Orange", "dark_orange", "darkorange" without luck, any ideas?

"On Time" works fine which just makes it even more strange
Hi,

There's a space after the Dark Orange .zip file ("Dark Orange .zip"), that might be giving you the issue. Hope this helps!
Apply beautiful themes to your phone in one click with Themer by MyColorScreen.

Learn more at ThemerApp.com.
The Following User Says Thank You to ThemerSupport For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

[SIC]
Old
Thanks Meter 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThemerSupport View Post
Hi,

There's a space after the Dark Orange .zip file ("Dark Orange .zip"), that might be giving you the issue. Hope this helps!
Haha right over my head, thanks
ST18i Black: JellySandwich 7.x
GT-I9100: Chameleon v3.0.4 Samsung/AOKP hybrid[4.1.2]@213dpi powered by Apolo JB 4.13 TWRP -RIP

[sic] Sic (=thus, so), invariably bracketed and usually set in italics, is used to indicate that a preceding word or phrase in a quoted passage is reproduced as it appeared in the original passage.
Sic at its best is intended to aid readers who might be confused about whether the quoter or the quoted writer is responsible for the spelling or grammatical anomaly.