Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,633 Members 37,675 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

WiFi and LTE at the same time?

Tip us?

nickhowell25
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default WiFi and LTE at the same time?

Does anyone have a issue while being on WiFi and the LTE is still being didplayed? My device does this is there a way to eliminate the LTE while being on WiFi?

Sent from my 831C using xda premium

Sim-X
Old
Thanks Meter 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickhowell25 View Post
Does anyone have a issue while being on WiFi and the LTE is still being didplayed? My device does this is there a way to eliminate the LTE while being on WiFi?

Sent from my 831C using xda premium
This phone prefers LTE, I have a very week and unstable LTE at my house so it's constantly cutting in and out. When I'm at home or work I set the phone to CDMA only. Look under mobile data settings. My battery lasts WAY longer and don't have a problem with getting calls. There is zero benefit to being on LTE when you are using wifi. Since LTE at the moment is data only. Only annoying part is switching it back and forth. I wish there was a widget for it or could set tasker to do it automatically.

Sent from my HTC One M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

nickhowell25
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sim-X View Post
This phone prefers LTE, I have a very week and unstable LTE at my house so it's constantly cutting in and out. When I'm at home or work I set the phone to CDMA only. Look under mobile data settings. My battery lasts WAY longer and don't have a problem with getting calls. There is zero benefit to being on LTE when you are using wifi. Since LTE at the moment is data only. Only annoying part is switching it back and forth. I wish there was a widget for it or could set tasker to do it automatically.

Yea

drigout
Old
Thanks Meter 10
LTE is built in to the SoC so when activated, it doesn't turn off. Unlike previous phones who had an external LTE radio, the battery usage is minimal. So overall you are saving battery. and true if you have weak or no LTE signal turning it off will help.

Sent from my 831C using xda app-developers app

nickhowell25
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by drigout View Post
LTE is built in to the SoC so when activated, it doesn't turn off. Unlike previous phones who had an external LTE radio, the battery usage is minimal. So overall you are saving battery. and true if you have weak or no LTE signal turning it off will help.

Sent from my 831C using xda app-developers app
SoC Im struggling to figure out what that means?

drigout
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickhowell25 View Post
SoC Im struggling to figure out what that means?
SoC = System on a Chip so LTE, CPU, GPU, CDMA, 3G etc... Are all on 1 chip the Snapdragon 801. Older phones had separate components and used more power but the components could be turned off when not needed. When you are switching to CDMA only you are not just turning off LTE you are changing the core settings on the chip.

scottw3
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sim-X View Post

I most definitely agree. I have an Airave at home and I have to manually switch to CDMA only while at home for the phone to connect to it. I have a very weak LTE signal so the phone automatically tries to connect to it. Very frustrating. Called airave supprt who said they are aware of the problem and are trying to work on a solution, but for now just manually switch to CDMA only when I get home.