Android App Review: Google Inbox to Improve Your Life – XDA TV

Recently, Google+ exploded with the announcement of Google Inbox, as … more

Damp the LG G3 Thermal Throttling

As our mobile devices grow thinner and more powerfulwith each passing generation, it’s inevitable … more

Google Play Developer Distribution Agreement Due Tomorrow

Every once in a while, Google updates theGoogle PlayDeveloper Distribution … more

LG to Release Octa-Core “Nuclun” SoC in the LG G3 Screen

LG is set to follow the likes of Samsung and other manufacture its own … more
Post Reply

Extract .zip Android ROM

OP Sparrow40k

21st April 2014, 08:11 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 1
 
40 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2014
This is most likely a really newbie question..
But does anyone know how I can extract the .zip ROM file from an Android phone. The best I could find were people that were doing a backup of there phone (I don't know if they are .zip or not). But I want to somehow extract the .zip from the phone and be able to flash like a custom ROM.

Thanks in advance!
21st April 2014, 01:07 PM   |  #2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 563
 
2,957 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2010
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow40k

This is most likely a really newbie question..
But does anyone know how I can extract the .zip ROM file from an Android phone. The best I could find were people that were doing a backup of there phone (I don't know if they are .zip or not). But I want to somehow extract the .zip from the phone and be able to flash like a custom ROM.

Thanks in advance!

I understand what you are looking for, but there is not a way to do that. The backup and restore method would be as close as you could get, but the method to backup leaves the various partitions in .img file formats which the custom recovery (has to be a custom recovery like ClockWorkMod, TWRP, etc) would be able to read, copy, and restore. Does the same thing that you are looking for, just in a different way.
21st April 2014, 01:59 PM   |  #3  
OP Member
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 1
 
40 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by es0tericcha0s

I understand what you are looking for, but there is not a way to do that. The backup and restore method would be as close as you could get, but the method to backup leaves the various partitions in .img file formats which the custom recovery (has to be a custom recovery like ClockWorkMod, TWRP, etc) would be able to read, copy, and restore. Does the same thing that you are looking for, just in a different way.

If I am unable to extract a .zip of the ROM, how do I work on the ROM and do things like port it?
All the websites I look at say to download the .zip, but my phone (JiaYu G4s) doesn't have a ROM available. The closest would be the JiaYu G4; which to my (very small) knowledge is no good to me because the internals are all different.
21st April 2014, 02:33 PM   |  #4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 563
 
2,957 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2010
Donate to Me
More
That's one of the major downsides to having a phone that isn't supported by the manufacturer or the dev community. Technically, the manufacturer is supposed to release the source code per GPL, but most of the ones that use MediaTek chips never do.

http://www.xda-developers.com/androi...e-license-fee/

I'm not sure how devs that work on those devices do it...


Edit: Found it

http://phonegist.blogspot.com/2014/0...-mediatek.html
Last edited by es0tericcha0s; 21st April 2014 at 02:40 PM.
21st April 2014, 03:01 PM   |  #5  
OP Member
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 1
 
40 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by es0tericcha0s

That's one of the major downsides to having a phone that isn't supported by the manufacturer or the dev community. Technically, the manufacturer is supposed to release the source code per GPL, but most of the ones that use MediaTek chips never do.

http://www.xda-developers.com/androi...e-license-fee/

I'm not sure how devs that work on those devices do it...


Edit: Found it

http://phonegist.blogspot.com/2014/0...-mediatek.html

So, by following the steps on the link provided. I actually am able to create a .zip from the ROM installed on the phone?
21st April 2014, 04:56 PM   |  #6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 563
 
2,957 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2010
Donate to Me
More
That's the idea. I dunno if that one is compatible with your chipset, but you will have to find the version that does and should be able to get started.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in Android Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting by ThreadRank