Sony SmartEyeglass SDK Developer Preview Released

A little over a month ago in Tokyo, Japan, Sony unveiled its new SmartEyeglasstechnology. … more

XDA and Leaseweb: Server Trial/Moto 360 Contest (Winners!)

About a month ago, we held a contest along with XDA’s host, Leaseweb, to … more

Updated Android Lollipop Preview Images – XDA TV

The Android Lollipop Preview Images are now available! That and much more news is … more

Get a Complete Set of Logs with Andy Log

The importance of proper logging is undeniable. No, we’re not talking about lumberjack work. … more

WIND T889V - Random Restarts, Stuck at Note 2 Logo, Now Black + White Screen

OP Obie2014

19th April 2014, 01:34 PM   |  #11  
Thanks Meter: 0

8 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obie2014

I guess this thing must have stumped the community or something.

I ended up using my credit card's extended warranty insurance to get this thing repaired. Samsung refused to cover this because it is 2 months out of warranty.

A store that I got quoted from said that it's a problem with the design of the 16 GB internal memory chip itself, and Note 2s have a has a high chance of failure. The highest the Chinese version. Wind Mobile's Note 2 also apparently has a high rate of dying.

The repair store that I actually got the repair done said that Wind Mobile's firmware has issues that causes hardware failure.

Take that however as you will. Hopefully this information will help others in similar situations.

Remember to check your credit card's benefits to see if they have an extended warranty coverage!

Thank you for submitting this, I think I got the same problem that I posted here - http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2719880

I didnt buy my note 2 new, I got it used, so I was wondering how much did they quote you for the reparation before using your credit card's benefit?
20th April 2014, 04:58 PM   |  #12  
OP Junior Member

9 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snwww

Thank you for submitting this, I think I got the same problem that I posted here - http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2719880

I didnt buy my note 2 new, I got it used, so I was wondering how much did they quote you for the reparation before using your credit card's benefit?

Samsung didn't give a care about what happened to me, as far as they were concerned I was a month and a half passed my one year warranty so they told me to pay a $50 quotation fee and the authorized store estimated the cost to be around $300-$400.

I didn't bother to call up Wind Mobile to ask them to repair my phone for free, since I'm not going to make a fool of myself pretending that a long time customer somehow makes me eligible for a $699.99 phone for free and threatening to cancel, putting myself even a worst price plan on another wireless company's + tab fees. They're a wireless service provider, not a phone manufacturer.

Luckily my credit card extended warranty benefits said I'm qualified for the warranty. They also said that as long as the repair job was done in a store and with proper paper works (quoted price, proof of purchase, proof of statement, proof that my Note 2 IMEI is the same on the repair quote as on my original purchase), they'll accept it.

The criteria was that I had to have had paid for my phone in 'full' on my single credit card, which I did. They accept my purchase as full even though it was contract subsidized price, which was $499.

The extended warranty coverage only goes up to $499, since that's how much I paid for my phone anyways.

The local repair shop knew exactly what my phone's problem was the moment I walked in and said I had a Wind Mobile Note 2 that needed repairs. He said, "Let me guess, gray screen with black lines? Random restarts and hanging at the logos prior to it? Bingo. I've had 50 or so Note 2s from Wind Mobile since the last month (This was in late April). Your memory chip is dead."

That... sucked, to get analyzed so thoroughly and precisely just by saying I had a Wind Mobile Note 2. It angered me too, since this was apparently a common issue, a defect with the memory chip and Samsung will not take ownership.

The good thing was that the repair job was quoted at $180 + taxes. Far lower than what Samsung had quoted me. Not only was Samsung not going to take ownership for a known defect, they were going to fleece their customer too with outrageous repair bills.

The credit card company accepted the quote and sent me a check for $180 + taxes, and I got my phone repaired.

I guess what I'm saying here is it might not be the end of the road for us if your phone breaks from manufacturer defect, if you had the phone for less than two years. Check the benefits on your credit card that you used to pay for your phone and see if you have extended warranty. It's apparently a very basic benefit so most cards should have it.
21st April 2014, 04:58 PM   |  #13  

8 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obie2014

Samsung didn't give a care about what happened to me, as far as they were concerned I was a month and a half passed my one year warranty so they told me to pay a $50 quotation fee and the authorized store estimated the cost to be around $300-$400.

I didn't bother to call up Wind Mobile to ask them to repair my phone for free, since I'm not going to make a fool of myself pretending that a long time customer somehow makes me eligible for a $699.99 phone for free and threatening to cancel, putting myself even a worst price plan on another wireless company's + tab fees. They're a wireless service provider, not a phone manufacturer.

Luckily my credit card extended warranty benefits said I'm qualified for the warranty. They also said that as long as the repair job was done in a store and with proper paper works (quoted price, proof of purchase, proof of statement, proof that my Note 2 IMEI is the same on the repair quote as on my original purchase), they'll accept it.

The criteria was that I had to have had paid for my phone in 'full' on my single credit card, which I did. They accept my purchase as full even though it was contract subsidized price, which was $499.

The extended warranty coverage only goes up to $499, since that's how much I paid for my phone anyways.

The local repair shop knew exactly what my phone's problem was the moment I walked in and said I had a Wind Mobile Note 2 that needed repairs. He said, "Let me guess, gray screen with black lines? Random restarts and hanging at the logos prior to it? Bingo. I've had 50 or so Note 2s from Wind Mobile since the last month (This was in late April). Your memory chip is dead."

That... sucked, to get analyzed so thoroughly and precisely just by saying I had a Wind Mobile Note 2. It angered me too, since this was apparently a common issue, a defect with the memory chip and Samsung will not take ownership.

The good thing was that the repair job was quoted at $180 + taxes. Far lower than what Samsung had quoted me. Not only was Samsung not going to take ownership for a known defect, they were going to fleece their customer too with outrageous repair bills.

The credit card company accepted the quote and sent me a check for $180 + taxes, and I got my phone repaired.

I guess what I'm saying here is it might not be the end of the road for us if your phone breaks from manufacturer defect, if you had the phone for less than two years. Check the benefits on your credit card that you used to pay for your phone and see if you have extended warranty. It's apparently a very basic benefit so most cards should have it.

Wait so they wanted you to pay 50$ to know how much it would cost you to repair ? I'm not sure I'm following, is the 50$ the fee you pay to have it JUST diagnosed? Clearly I'd just buy another phone rather than paying the 600 repairing fee, this is outrageous.

I can't use any credit card advantage, I paid for the phone used through kijiji with cash.

God fu***** damn it. I already threw a nexus 4 away by dropping it within two days of owning it, now I have to pay again for a f****** phone and it's manufacturers mistake? ughhh

Another 200$ out the window, I love technology!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread