Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,872 Members 53,205 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How to unpack boot.img

Tip us?

androidous
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Exclamation How to unpack boot.img

hi i know this seems like a over asked question but my case is different at least i could find a solution .. i did look for it

so i need to unpack a boot.img and i did try with dsixda's kitchen and championswimmers kitchen but no hope .. they both say android magic header not found and doesn't unpack it.. i need to edit the bootclasspath of the kernel but there isnt a way i can without unpacking yeah ? i even tried re-naming to .elf and extracting with flashtool but that dosent give me an output either ..

does anyone know how i can do this ? or atleast a workaround ?
If I helped don't hesitate to press thanks

Phone Details
[Device] : Xperia U
[Model] : ST25i Kumquat
[Status] : Rooted / Bootloader Unlocked
[Android Version] : 4.4.4
[ROM] : [4.4.4] [UNOFFICIAL] ParanoidAndroid 4.4 [RC2]
[Kernel] : [3.0.101] BraveKernel for KitKat

shimp208
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1492

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by androidous View Post
hi i know this seems like a over asked question but my case is different at least i could find a solution .. i did look for it

so i need to unpack a boot.img and i did try with dsixda's kitchen and championswimmers kitchen but no hope .. they both say android magic header not found and doesn't unpack it.. i need to edit the bootclasspath of the kernel but there isnt a way i can without unpacking yeah ? i even tried re-naming to .elf and extracting with flashtool but that dosent give me an output either ..

does anyone know how i can do this ? or atleast a workaround ?
Try using this tool found here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...=2073775<br /> it has worked very well for me. If this doesn't work for you then I can suggest some Linux alternatives.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

androidous
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimp208 View Post
Try using this tool found here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...=2073775<br /> it has worked very well for me. If this doesn't work for you then I can suggest some Linux alternatives.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Hey thanks but ive tried that kitchen before and no luck

i figure the problem is
caused because the boot.img 's are not of standard type and do not have the standard ANDROID header therefore that kitchen wouldnt work

Quote:
Okay, unpackbootimg crashes trying to unpack the boot.img from FXP204-cm-9-20130126-UNOFFICIAL-kumquat because it has the wrong "magic" at the top. trevd pointed this out as a definite incompatibility for some devices a couple pages back. Trying trevd's split_img from the first page, it actually reports the "Wrong magic" error and shows that the file has an ELF header not an ANDROID!. Opening in HxD shows that there is no ANDROID! header later on as with some HTC devices, so ELF is the only header, and we're basically dealing with a different, unsupported filetype here. On the upside, there is no real gap in the data, so there might not be a ramdisk packed with it anyway.

enlighten me on the linux alternatives please
If I helped don't hesitate to press thanks

Phone Details
[Device] : Xperia U
[Model] : ST25i Kumquat
[Status] : Rooted / Bootloader Unlocked
[Android Version] : 4.4.4
[ROM] : [4.4.4] [UNOFFICIAL] ParanoidAndroid 4.4 [RC2]
[Kernel] : [3.0.101] BraveKernel for KitKat

shimp208
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1492

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by androidous View Post
Hey thanks but ive tried that kitchen before and no luck

i figure the problem is
caused because the boot.img 's are not of standard type and do not have the standard ANDROID header therefore that kitchen wouldnt work

enlighten me on the linux alternatives please
These are the linux alternatives they may or may not work based on what you said but might as well give them a try.
Tags
ramdisk, unpack kernel