Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,817 Members 54,185 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q][I9001] Dual Boot Kernel for CM 10.1

Tip us?

Jack$
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q][I9001] Dual Boot Kernel for CM 10.1

Hi all,
I hope this is the right section for my answer.

I want to install CM 10.1 ION on my S plus, as a secondary ROM. The last version is release 4, but the dual boot kernel is released at 2013-12-26.

Is it support the changeset made in ROM?

Thanks in advance

Regards,
Jack

Gokulbalram
Old
Thanks Meter 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack$ View Post
Hi all,
I hope this is the right section for my answer.

I want to install CM 10.1 ION on my S plus, as a secondary ROM. The last version is release 4, but the dual boot kernel is released at 2013-12-26.

Is it support the changeset made in ROM?

Thanks in advance

Regards,
Jack
That is near impossible. Not because of the inability to make a dual-boot kernel, but the size of the /system partition. I'm guessing it's around 620 MB. Let's take a hypothetical situation that someone DOES make a dual-boot compatible Kernel, and you install two ROMs, Gapps will be a problem. You must be wondering "But then there's the tiny Gapps!". But in Tiny Gapps , There is a 99% (sorry for exaggeration) chance that it won't include all the libs for other google apps to work. I'm saying this by experience, If I'm wrong, you have full liberty to correct me.

Hit Thanks if I helped!

Jack$
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokulbalram View Post
That is near impossible. Not because of the inability to make a dual-boot kernel, but the size of the /system partition. I'm guessing it's around 620 MB. Let's take a hypothetical situation that someone DOES make a dual-boot compatible Kernel, and you install two ROMs, Gapps will be a problem. You must be wondering "But then there's the tiny Gapps!". But in Tiny Gapps , There is a 99% (sorry for exaggeration) chance that it won't include all the libs for other google apps to work. I'm saying this by experience, If I'm wrong, you have full liberty to correct me.

Hit Thanks if I helped!
Hi,
thanks for reply

For S+ already exists a dual boot kernel, http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2462783, and It works awesome

My question is if a old kernel version could works with last 10.1 rom version

Best regards
Jack

Gokulbalram
Old
Thanks Meter 65
Quote:
Hi,
thanks for reply

For S+ already exists a dual boot kernel, http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2462783, and It works awesome

My question is if a old kernel version could works with last 10.1 rom version

Best regards
Jack
Try reading what I wrote again, even if there is a kernel, There won't be enough space in the ROM

Jack$
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokulbalram View Post
Try reading what I wrote again, even if there is a kernel, There won't be enough space in the ROM
Sorry but I don't understand.
Four month ago I installed CM 10.1 R1 with dual boot kernel and GApps without problems. (no space problem)

Now, the rom version is CM 10.1 R4, but kernel is not update, so I don't know if a old kernel could be support the new ROM version.

I don't think that the space is the problem, because I have already install CM10.1 R1 as secondary ROM (also with GApps)

I hope I described my question clearly

Regards,
Jack

Gokulbalram
Old
Thanks Meter 65
Quote:
Sorry but I don't understand.
Four month ago I installed CM 10.1 R1 with dual boot kernel and GApps without problems. (no space problem)

Now, the rom version is CM 10.1 R4, but kernel is not update, so I don't know if a old kernel could be support the new ROM version.

I don't think that the space is the problem, because I have already install CM10.1 R1 as secondary ROM (also with GApps)

I hope I described my question clearly

Regards,
Jack
Good then, I don't know how it happened but, awesome!