Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,562 Members 37,575 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] What are the repercussions of tripping the KNOX counter?

Tip us?

BLuFeNiX
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 180

DONATE TO ME
Question [Q] What are the repercussions of tripping the KNOX counter?

I know it can't be reversed, and it could affect warranty/RMA policies, but are there any other consequences? Like disabled features?

Thanks.
If you like my work, feel free to donate, or just hit the THANKS BUTTON.

Want to make your own boot animations from an animated GIF? Check out my software! - Gif2Boot (no root required)

dustintinsley
Old
Thanks Meter 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLuFeNiX View Post
I know it can't be reversed, and it could affect warranty/RMA policies, but are there any other consequences? Like disabled features?

Thanks.
I read yesterday that you may not be able to OTAs on the S5 if Knox has been tripped. I don't know if this is correct or not as you can't get OTAs if rooted anyways.

jjlean
Old
Thanks Meter 106
Strictly from hear say I think it disables private mode .

Sent from my SM-G900T using xda app-developers app

dustintinsley
Old
Thanks Meter 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjlean View Post
Strictly from hear say I think it disables private mode .

Sent from my SM-G900T using xda app-developers app
I have seen private mode working once knox was tripped. not for me however. but i am on a deodexed rom and have not seen private mode work on any deodexed rom yet.

BLuFeNiX
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 180

DONATE TO ME
I'm guessing a soft root exploit (without using Odin) would fix this problem. I think I'll wait a while and see if one comes out.
If you like my work, feel free to donate, or just hit the THANKS BUTTON.

Want to make your own boot animations from an animated GIF? Check out my software! - Gif2Boot (no root required)

mrl0n3ly714
Old
Thanks Meter 10
i rooted via method odin [SM-G900*] CF-Auto-Root
private mode working fine,finger scan, paypal .., everything is working as usual, no custom rom yet so far.

km8j
Old
Thanks Meter 14
So when we lose ota ability.... Will someone here modify the update package so we can still get the update?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

TheArtiszan
Old
Thanks Meter 80
I still think you get OTA for it if on stock roms, just won't update using kies if I am not mistaken.

fzammetti
Old
Thanks Meter 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArtiszan View Post
I still think you get OTA for it if on stock roms, just won't update using kies if I am not mistaken.
After tripping the counter you'll find that the check for updates under About doesn't work and gives you a message about your OS being modified. I confirmed that being rooted or not doesn't matter (unrooted, didn't fix it), using ART or not doesn't matter (flipped to ART then back, didn't fix it, also tried on another phone that never used ART, same thing), and modifying system files or not doesn't matter... it appears that once the flag is tripped you're done with *automatic* updates... what I don't know yet, since there hasn't been one to try, is whether we can still install an unmodified OTA file from recovery manually... it *may* just be the check that doesn't work but install still will, which would make this a non-problem in my mind. If it doesn't install though then yes, we'll have to look for someone to modify the OTA for us, or else we'll have to play the "wait for the tar, then flash image files individually and manually with ODIN from it" game (which may not work for the system partition depending on what you've done to it... at least on my previous Sprint S4, you *could* install an OTA if you were rooted so long as you hadn't changed anything else, and I *assume* the same will be true on a T-Mob S5).
Frank W. Zammetti
Author of "Pro iOS and Android Apps for Business"
and "Learn Corona SDK Game Development"
and "Practical Palm Pre webOS Projects"
and "Practical Ext JS Projects with Gears"
and "Practical Dojo Projects"
and "Practical DWR 2 Projects"
and "Practical JavaScript, DOM Scripting and Ajax Projects"
and "Practical Ajax Projects with Java Technology"
Creator of the mobile game Engineer (www.etherient.com)
For all things me, visit www.zammetti.com

The Following User Says Thank You to fzammetti For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
flash, knox, odin, rom, root