Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,725 Members 37,978 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Qi Wireless Charging Kit turns on and off repeatedly

Tip us?

zjhehe
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Question Qi Wireless Charging Kit turns on and off repeatedly

I bought a generic Qi wireless charging kit. It has a white receiver which you open up the back cover of the galaxy s4 and then fit the prongs in place. Then closed the back cover and put it on my charger pad. The charger pad is powered by my OEM Samsung 2A output adapter so that should be plenty of power. There are two lights, one red that is constantly on which I assume is the power light. The other light is green, but it flashes. I'm not sure if it is supposed to do this, but pretty sure it is not as my phone will display a popup notification that wireless charging is enabled. One second later, the popup is gone and the battery icon no longer shows the thunderbolt charging symbol. Another second later, the notification comes back and the battery icon shows the thunderbolt charging symbol. So both the charger pad flashes and my phone's notification and battery charger icon appear and disappear every few seconds repeatedly, anyone know what is going on?

Stealyourface
Old
Thanks Meter 147
Kind of hard to tell without seeing which one you specifically have. Got any links? Have you made a good connection with the contacts on the back of the phone? And are you placing the phone in a good spot on the charger? I have 2 qi receivers like yours and I don't have these problems unless I'm using the official nexus wireless charger. I think the magnets in it do something to offset it. I have another wireless charging pad and I don't have these problems at all.

zjhehe
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealyourface View Post
Kind of hard to tell without seeing which one you specifically have. Got any links? Have you made a good connection with the contacts on the back of the phone? And are you placing the phone in a good spot on the charger? I have 2 qi receivers like yours and I don't have these problems unless I'm using the official nexus wireless charger. I think the magnets in it do something to offset it. I have another wireless charging pad and I don't have these problems at all.
I actually do have the link: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/181216698737?...84.m1497.l2649

I made sure to buy the GS4 i9500 and almost certain this is a right purchase as the prongs fit perfectly. Based on the instructions, the actual charger is under the symbol/icon, which I have tried to place perfectly. Heck, I tried so many spots with no success. I'm not sure if the receiver is faulty or if the charge pad is faulty. I'm looking into a ChoeTech and Incipio Qi charger right now as its around 30 bucks and have quite some positive reviews.

Stealyourface
Old
Thanks Meter 147
Well that thing is one of the thicker ones. And I've never liked the design of it. I'd definitely switch receivers. Then chargers if you problem still occurs.

xdm9mm
Old
Thanks Meter 54
1. check to make sure the contacts on the receiver are not getting disconnected inside the phone.
2. you need to find the sweet spot on your pad when you put your phone on it

zjhehe
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Well, I'm in the process of getting a refund on eBay. Guess I'll have to go for a more branded charger instead of some no-name generic.
Tags
charging, galaxy s4, qi charging, samsung, wireless charger