[FIX] LG G2 LS-980 EFS Recovery

Search This thread

OfficialPerson

Apr 3, 2014
New York
After installing a KK beta build rom I noticed my cell service was disabled so I checked the settings/status and everything showed up
as unknown including imei. Here's the full process I went through until finally fixing/restoring service on my phone.

NOTE: all of this was possible because I still had two very important files called modemst1.img and modemst2.img
these are what hold the important info about the phone including imei and such. Luckily @autoprime has a script in ioroot that'll backup
these files if you're on JB but if you're on KK you have to MANUALLY back them up. With that being said if you don't have these files
then this guide isn't for you.

So the first thing I tried (after restoring my nandroid backup which I found out didnt backup those modemst files) was take the two modemst files from my ioroot folder on my computer and putting them on the internal storage of the phone in a folder called EFS_Backup. I renamed the two files to efs1.img and efs2.img (if you don't have the option to show the files extension in the name enabled then you would just type in efs1 and efs2 or else the filename would end up efs1.img.img etc.) After that I put the phone into recovery (twrp) and plugged the usb cable. Then I ran cmd as administrator and typed these commands:

adb shell

su

dd if=/sdcard/EFS_Backup/efs1.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/modemst1
dd if=/sdcard/EFS_Backup/efs2.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/modemst2

It said that it copied them however I checked the folder with root browser and it still showed the empty modemst files (my backup ones were 3mb). So I tried the commands while the phone was booted up I granted root access and it said it copied again but still nothing. Around this time I got into a bootloop and was getting stuck so I flashed a KK baseband which helped me at first. At this point @dr87 gave me a flashable efs zip file to use which I'm going to attach to this post. To use it you have to drag your two modemst backups into it name then efs1 and efs2 then flash the zip in recovery.

Like the other steps though that didnt seem to replace the modemst files and I was stuck without service. I then got a bootloop again and tried flashing my nandroid backup with the KK baseband but this time it wouldn't work so I went back to the KK beta build so I could boot up again. I tried running the dd commands again this time with the efs files on the root directory on the internal storage of the phone. The command I used for that was this:

dd if=/sdcard/efs1.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/modemst1

I got the same results as before. However another member said something about running the dd commands in stock recovery so I decided to do a zvc tot and try running the dd commands in the stock recovery. I downloaded the zvc tot from here: http://downloads.codefi.re/autoprime/LG/LG_G2/LS980/Stock_Firmware

I extracted the tot from the zip file and put it on my desktop and then I followed the sprint version of this guide:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2432476

Scroll down to the part where it says RETURN TO STOCK TOT Method! AT&T & Sprint Verzion & The Few International TOTs I have available

Follow those instructions there however after step number 10 where you set your G2's port to COM 41 turn off and unplug your phone then after 13 where you click the yellow arrow in LG Flash Tool put your G2 back into download mode and the Flash Tool will then connect to your device and start the process. Once that was finished I went through the setup and was about to reboot to get to stock recovery when I noticed something.......MY CELL SERVICE WAS BACK!!!! Apparently with the custom roms replacing the modemst files didn't stick but after moving to stock zvc it seemed to replace it and I'm now back up and running. If you have any questions let me know and I'll get back to you as soon as I can. Wish you all the best.

P.S. I would like to give a very big thanks to @GizmoKaca he really helped me alot through this whole process.

Attachments

• flashable-efs.zip
    142.6 KB · Views: 1,326
Last edited:
Reactions: GizmoKaca

LoveistheGroove

Jul 5, 2010
Salt Lake City, Utah
After installing a KK beta build rom I noticed my cell service was disabled so I checked the settings/status and everything showed up
as unknown including imei. Here's the full process I went through until finally fixing/restoring service on my phone.

NOTE: all of this was possible because I still had two very important files called modemst1.img and modemst2.img
these are what hold the important info about the phone including imei and such. Luckily @autoprime has a script in ioroot that'll backup
these files if you're on JB but if you're on KK you have to MANUALLY back them up. With that being said if you don't have these files

So the first thing I tried (after restoring my nandroid backup which I found out didnt backup those modemst files) was take the two modemst files from my ioroot folder on my computer and putting them on the internal storage of the phone in a folder called EFS_Backup. I renamed the two files to efs1.img and efs2.img (if you don't have the option to show the files extension in the name enabled then you would just type in efs1 and efs2 or else the filename would end up efs1.img.img etc.) After that I put the phone into recovery (twrp) and plugged the usb cable. Then I ran cmd as administrator and typed these commands:

adb shell

su

dd if=/sdcard/EFS_Backup/efs1.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/modemst1
dd if=/sdcard/EFS_Backup/efs2.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/modemst2

It said that it copied them however I checked the folder with root browser and it still showed the empty modemst files (my backup ones were 3mb). So I tried the commands while the phone was booted up I granted root access and it said it copied again but still nothing. Around this time I got into a bootloop and was getting stuck so I flashed a KK baseband which helped me at first. At this point @dr87 gave me a flashable efs zip file to use which I'm going to attach to this post. To use it you have to drag your two modemst backups into it name then efs1 and efs2 then flash the zip in recovery.

Like the other steps though that didnt seem to replace the modemst files and I was stuck without service. I then got a bootloop again and tried flashing my nandroid backup with the KK baseband but this time it wouldn't work so I went back to the KK beta build so I could boot up again. I tried running the dd commands again this time with the efs files on the root directory on the internal storage of the phone. The command I used for that was this:

I got the same results as before. However another member said something about running the dd commands in stock recovery so I decided to do a zvc tot and try running the dd commands in the stock recovery. I downloaded the zvc tot from here: http://downloads.codefi.re/autoprime/LG/LG_G2/LS980/Stock_Firmware

I extracted the tot from the zip file and put it on my desktop and then I followed the sprint version of this guide:

Scroll down to the part where it says RETURN TO STOCK TOT Method! AT&T & Sprint Verzion & The Few International TOTs I have available

Follow those instructions there however after step number 10 where you set your G2's port to COM 41 turn off and unplug your phone then after 13 where you click the yellow arrow in LG Flash Tool put your G2 back into download mode and the Flash Tool will then connect to your device and start the process. Once that was finished I went through the setup and was about to reboot to get to stock recovery when I noticed something.......MY CELL SERVICE WAS BACK!!!! Apparently with the custom roms replacing the modemst files didn't stick but after moving to stock zvc it seemed to replace it and I'm now back up and running. If you have any questions let me know and I'll get back to you as soon as I can. Wish you all the best.

P.S. I would like to give a very big thanks to @GizmoKaca he really helped me alot through this whole process.

I have exactly the same issue and can't do anything. Phone boots up fine but no cell or data. I don't have those 2 files...is it something I can download? I really need help. I'm so frustrated, especially because it's my FRIEND's phone. Help me, please!

See this: http://xdaforums.com/sprint-g2/help...nal-please-t2814919/post54122384#post54122384

THANK YOU!!!!

jcwxguy

Mar 22, 2011
im sorry, but those files are unique to each phone, each one is different. It is not something you can download. Best thing to try is tot back to 100% stock, then hope he has insurance on the phone and take it to a repair center, once they determine it cant be fixed, they will order a replacement (or give you one), if he doesnt have insurance, hope its under warranty and do a RMA to LG

OfficialPerson

Apr 3, 2014
New York
I have exactly the same issue and can't do anything. Phone boots up fine but no cell or data. I don't have those 2 files...is it something I can download? I really need help. I'm so frustrated, especially because it's my FRIEND's phone. Help me, please!

See this: http://xdaforums.com/sprint-g2/help...nal-please-t2814919/post54122384#post54122384

THANK YOU!!!!

I'm sorry to hear about your predicament. When you rooted your phone did you use ioroot? What version were you on when you rooted i.e. Jelly Bean, Kit Kat, etc.?

LoveistheGroove

Jul 5, 2010
Salt Lake City, Utah
Autorec and twrp are different then ioroot which is rooting. But since you were on KK then I'm pretty
sure when you rooted it didn't automatically backup your EFS files. When you go into settings to where
it say PRL, IMEI, MEID, etc. does it say unknown for all of them? Or do some of they have numbers and
stuff?

I used iroot and all of those are blank or unknown :(

Is it really that easy to permanently ruin a phone? Wow.

I'm sure it is, I just can't believe it's impossible to fix.

OfficialPerson

Apr 3, 2014
New York
I used iroot and all of those are blank or unknown :(

Is it really that easy to permanently ruin a phone? Wow.

I'm sure it is, I just can't believe it's impossible to fix.

Hmm ok and yeah things can go down south very easily which is why they put
warnings all the time but people (including myself) usually take them lightly lol.
However it may not be permanently ruined I read a post a couple days ago about
someone taking the optimus g and writing the prl imei and other info himself with
certain programs. He mentioned ways to get those numbers for your specific phone
I'm not exactly sure if it'll work but it may be your only option at this point. I'm going
to see if I can find the post again and put the link here. This is a pretty advanced
process though I've never done it myself so don't really know that much about it.
If anything though are you insured?

LoveistheGroove

Jul 5, 2010
Salt Lake City, Utah
Hmm ok and yeah things can go down south very easily which is why they put
warnings all the time but people (including myself) usually take them lightly lol.
However it may not be permanently ruined I read a post a couple days ago about
someone taking the optimus g and writing the prl imei and other info himself with
certain programs. He mentioned ways to get those numbers for your specific phone
I'm not exactly sure if it'll work but it may be your only option at this point. I'm going
to see if I can find the post again and put the link here. This is a pretty advanced
process though I've never done it myself so don't really know that much about it.
If anything though are you insured?

Thank you and please do if you can. I know the codes to program them. I just don't have them.

I have insurance. Last effort though.

Please share if you can!

Billy

LoveistheGroove

Jul 5, 2010
Salt Lake City, Utah

adb shell

su

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I think I have great news. I looked in my ioroot folder and found both of the files (3 MB each) that are modemst1.img and modemst2.img.

I created a folder on the Internal called EFS_Backup, and I copied and pasted those two files into the new folder, renaming them efs1 and efs2. They renamed and stuck in the folder just fine, but running the ADB commands didn't work. So I used the flashable EFS zip in TWRP and it said FAILED.

I'm thinking since I have these 2 files I should be able to fix this, right???? But...the thing that's driving me nuts is that LG Flash Tool, no matter what version, will NOT work on my device anymore. Not with either of my PC's.

Does anyone have a suggestion for what to do now that I found those modem files in my ioroot folder?

I feel like this is the closest I have gotten and now I'm stuck. LG Flash Tools never worked on Windows 8. The OLDER versions worked fine with .tot files BEFORE all of this happened, in Windows 7. Now even Windows 7 won't work to use LG Flash Tools, after I created this mess.

Can anyone PLEASE help me take these 2 files and get them to fix my EFS? I really don't know what I'm doing, clearly, or I would have backed up my EFS first. Problem here is probably same everywhere...I've always done this, never bothered with Nandroid or EFS backups, but also never had the issue of only having an internal memory on an Android device. Stupid mistake.

I would greatly appreciate any help that can be offered. I have one more day and I can still take this phone back...IF I can fix it. Thank you in advance!

PS: I Have my ESN, MEID HEX, MEID DEC, IMEI, ICCID AND IMSI - ALL POPULATED WITH NUMBERS IN SETTINGS. WHAT IS "UNKNOWN" IS MY PHONE NUMBER AND MY PRL.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

adb shell

su