FORUMS

Voices Of XDA: Orbiting The Earth With Android

Editor’s note: This week’s feature has been written by forum … more

CloudPlayer: DIY HiFi Music Streaming Solution

In our Helpful Guide to Music Streaming Services, we mentioned several different services … more

Optimize Battery Life with This Useful App

Battery life is an important aspect of your smartphone, especially if you use it for more … more

The OnePlus 2 & The Year of Smartphone Compromises

We are very close to entering the last third of 2015, and we have now seen many of … more

HTCDev Bootloader Unlock

283 posts
Thanks Meter: 48
 
By chriskader, Senior Member on 22nd April 2014, 12:18 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
I decided to take a leap of faith and tried to unlock my bootloader using the HTCDev site and it worked. Would this make Firewater pointless?
The Following User Says Thank You to chriskader For This Useful Post: [ View ]
 
 
22nd April 2014, 12:31 AM |#2  
krazie1's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 8,586
 
Donate to Me
More
Screenshots or any proof

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
22nd April 2014, 12:33 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Malvern
Thanks Meter: 48
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazie1

Screenshots or any proof

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Not sure what proof you want. I can give you a screenshot of the email I got from HTC with my unlock key in it.
22nd April 2014, 12:43 AM |#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 198
 
More
Is there really any reason to use HTCDev since firewater can do it?
22nd April 2014, 12:45 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Malvern
Thanks Meter: 48
 
Donate to Me
More
It just seems like it would make sense to unlock it using official means if it is an option. Not saying that Firewater will cause issues but workarounds can pose risks that could be avoided by using tools provided by HTC itself.
22nd April 2014, 01:04 AM |#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 177
 
More
There is no reason to use the official HTC tool at all. I'm surprised it even works. Early tests by other users (incl myself) showed our devices being blocked on the site. Are you sure you have a Verizon HTC M8 as opposed to one for another carrier?

Anyway, with firewater, you shouldn't use it at all.
First, it voids your warranty. But most importantly of all, it does not give you S-off. Only bootloader unlock.

Firewater gives you both S-off and unlocked bootloader as well. There also have been no reports of any issues due to firewater. All it does is give you S-off. There are some legit dev phones out there that also have S-off; firewater just makes your phone equal to those dev ones.
22nd April 2014, 01:08 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Malvern
Thanks Meter: 48
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MultiDev

There is no reason to use the official HTC tool at all. I'm surprised it even works. Early tests by other users (incl myself) showed our devices being blocked on the site. Are you sure you have a Verizon HTC M8 as opposed to one for another carrier?

Anyway, with firewater, you shouldn't use it at all.
First, it voids your warranty. But most importantly of all, it does not give you S-off. Only bootloader unlock.

Firewater gives you both S-off and unlocked bootloader as well. There also have been no reports of any issues due to firewater. All it does is give you S-off. There are some legit dev phones out there that also have S-off; firewater just makes your phone equal to those dev ones.

I want to make it clear that at no point was I saying that Firewater caused issues. I simply stated that any hack or unofficial tool COULD cause issues.

As for S-Off, what is the point when you have an unlocked bootloader?
22nd April 2014, 02:09 AM |#8  
Senior Member
Flag Casper
Thanks Meter: 116
 
Donate to Me
More
I kinda sorta don't believe you. Oo Is yours Verizon?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Premium HD app
22nd April 2014, 02:20 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Malvern
Thanks Meter: 48
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchief298

I kinda sorta don't believe you. Oo Is yours Verizon?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Premium HD app

Yes its Verizon. Simply go to the HTCDev site and submit your OEM device ID. You will get an email with your unlock blob. I applied my to unlock but you do not HAVE to apply yours.
22nd April 2014, 02:22 AM |#10  
sofla2's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Naples, FL
Thanks Meter: 128
 
More
Interesting. I took my daughter's M8 and tried to unlock at HTCDev and still a no go here.
22nd April 2014, 02:25 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Malvern
Thanks Meter: 48
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofla2

Interesting. I took my daughter's M8 and tried to unlock at HTCDev and still a no go here.

Not sure what proof to provide. Do I need to record my screen while I unlock my phone using the unlock_code.bin?

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes