Thread Closed

Blacklisted, but unlocked, T-Mobile Galaxy S5 on AT&T

OP JoJo2211

22nd April 2014, 03:17 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 55

393 posts
More
I'm thinking of buying blacklisted TMo GS5 (because of the unlocked bootloader & also because it's cheaper to get a blacklisted phone becuase of the stigma), if I were to unlock it would I be able to use it on AT&T or it's MVNO's? Has anywhere sucessfully tried it? Thanks,
22nd April 2014, 04:27 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 110

879 posts
Last time I checked at&t and Tmobile were sharing blacklisted list. Not 100% sure but I think that was the case a few years ago

Sent from my SM-G900T using xda app-developers app
22nd April 2014, 05:25 AM   |  #3  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,642

3,962 posts
As mentioned above and expanded I think ALL of the big phone companies share the blacklist emei's. I know I saw somewhere that other countries were gonna be doing the same. To help cut down on stolen phones that are bought and then shipped to other countries for use.

Sent From My Spiderman,Ironman,Red,Dark Blue,Green, GreyedOut BadAss Themed I337
22nd April 2014, 05:58 AM   |  #4  
Flag Silver Spring, MD
Thanks Meter: 1,629

6,508 posts
More
Well I did have a blacklisted Note 3 that I was using on at&t. I had no idea it was blacklisted until I tried selling it on Swappa. But it did work for me.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
22nd April 2014, 06:40 AM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member

393 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by barondebxl

Well I did have a blacklisted Note 3 that I was using on at&t. I had no idea it was blacklisted until I tried selling it on Swappa. But it did work for me.

That is strange. If they were supposed to be sharing the database of blacklisted phones how were you able to use it?

Does anyone know for a fact that they are sharing the database? Anybody work at AT&T or T-mObile?
22nd April 2014, 06:45 AM   |  #6  
Flag Silver Spring, MD
Thanks Meter: 1,629

6,508 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJo2211

That is strange. If they were supposed to be sharing the database of blacklisted phones how were you able to use it?

Does anyone know for a fact that they are sharing the database? Anybody work at AT&T or T-mObile?

I have no clue. I bought the note 3 from another XDA user. Used it for 3 weeks then put a listing on Swappa but it was declined cause the phone Imei was blacklisted. Phone worked perfectly fine for the few weeks I had it on AT&T.

22nd April 2014, 07:50 AM   |  #7  
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 213

1,265 posts
More
I unlock phones etc daily ... and yeah if you have a blacklisted at&t phone you Can't! Use it, unless you go overseas ... But if you have a blacklisted tmobile phone you can unlock it and use with another carrier example (At&t, red locket, h2o) with no problem ....

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JUSMEJOSE For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd April 2014, 04:32 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 15

38 posts
How does a phone that just came out get blacklisted? I'm under the un ow does derstanding that they only blacklist stolen or unpaid phones. Are you saving their now blacklisting phones from other carriers simply because they aren't looking their bootloader?

Sent from my SM-G900T using xda app-developers app
22nd April 2014, 08:45 PM   |  #9  
Flag West Milwaukee
Thanks Meter: 697

2,529 posts
More
I am not a goody two shoes - far from it - but to me there is something morally wrong with buying and supporting Black listed phones = just to save a few bucks.

you are in effect supporting the people who stole the phone in the first place - I would rather pay a premium price for a new phone and know that I am not getting a deal because of someone elses misfortune than pay less for a black listed phone just to save money,

If you have ever had a phone stolen from you - I think you would agree - buying a black listed phone is not a victimless crime it can perpetrate the original theft and we should all consider avoiding that....all black listed phones are probably not stolen - but how do you know?

my two cents
The Following User Says Thank You to mocsab For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd April 2014, 11:10 PM   |  #10  
OP Senior Member

393 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mocsab

I am not a goody two shoes - far from it - but to me there is something morally wrong with buying and supporting Black listed phones = just to save a few bucks.

you are in effect supporting the people who stole the phone in the first place - I would rather pay a premium price for a new phone and know that I am not getting a deal because of someone elses misfortune than pay less for a black listed phone just to save money,

If you have ever had a phone stolen from you - I think you would agree - buying a black listed phone is not a victimless crime it can perpetrate the original theft and we should all consider avoiding that....all black listed phones are probably not stolen - but how do you know?

my two cents

Most blacklisted phones are either financed or reported lost. That's why they are blacklisted by the carrier. I've never had anybody steal my phone or know of anyone who had their phone stolen. Those who default on their payment deserve to get their phones blacklisted but at that point they are out of the innitial $200+ anyway. So if they're looking to resell the phone to recoupe that money, I'm not sure how that should be looked down upon. Meanwhile those who lose their phones and later go on to report it as stolen because they want to get a new phone thru insurance, get no sympathy from me.

Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread