Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,793 Members 40,839 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q]

Tip us?

yahyanael
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Question [Q]

Hello there , I want to ask about custom Roms as cyanogen mod and PAC and all those teams out there.
First of all ,, the android that they make is similary to the stock one that I can get it from Google website to open it on jdk simulator. Then what is the deal in making custom roms??
And what about Samsung Galaxy Roms features.. Are they closed source? So there is no one can steel there features and use them in other Roms ???
I wish some one answer me because I am so confused about this .. Thanks

Trozzul
Old
Thanks Meter 193

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by yahyanael View Post
Hello there , I want to ask about custom Roms as cyanogen mod and PAC and all those teams out there.
First of all ,, the android that they make is similary to the stock one that I can get it from Google website to open it on jdk simulator. Then what is the deal in making custom roms??
And what about Samsung Galaxy Roms features.. Are they closed source? So there is no one can steel there features and use them in other Roms ???
I wish some one answer me because I am so confused about this .. Thanks
So to start from my understanding of the beginning, Samsung or HTC or LG and such will plan out a device, they put all the stuff they want on it ( as in the battery size, the specific GPU and CPU), and towards the end they slap on what version of android they want. this android is Stock like what you see with cyanogenmod or Aosp roms ( they are almost stock but with a few modifications like CPU governors and I/Os) from there they are able to put in all the features they want to feature on the device (so if you think about it, Samsung makes their own Custom rom for the phones but its very professional and are made for the General population where we are the few developers that aren't very professional.) like for Samsung, you will only see S Memo on Samsung phones (so yes Samsung Features are closed source if you develop a rom you are able to put features that come from the Stock rom you get when you buy the phone.), its possible to put s memo on other devices like one of HTC's, but is sorta illegal since Samsung owns s memo. for custom roms, we as developers are able to put stock android features into a rom because Google made android open source. (its not quite open source in some areas) now if you have a Samsung phone and want to make a rom based on Touchwiz (the normal Samsung Ui) or HTC phone and want to base a rom off Sense (Htc's Ui) we are allowed to do this only on these specific phones, otherwise making a Sense rom on a Samsung phone would be illegal and they would ask you to take down a download link. im sorry you had to hear me rant and i hope this made sense! if it sounds like i left anything out please ask.
"Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: 'we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.'
"How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
"You must be,' said the Cat, 'or you wouldn't have come here."

Motorola Moto X
Stock KitKat 4.4.4 XT1060
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
Rom: Cyanogemod 11 (4.4.4) P5113

Asus Nexus 7
Stock (4.4.4) Broken Digitizer, any recommendations?
Both Stopped turning on for no reason
Nikon Coolpix s800c
Stock Gingerbread (2.3.3)
The Following User Says Thank You to Trozzul For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

yahyanael
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
OK I understood a part, but im still confused about Cyanogen mod part .. I mean what is that thing that they do and others cant do so every Dev make a ROM sayed it based on Cyanogen mod ??