[ROM][4.4.2] OmniMetal [05-24-2014] (Linaro Omni rom)

Which would you rather have

• ART runtime working

Votes: 25 34.7%
  • Built with linaro toolchain for overall speed

Votes: 47 65.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

cmoG530

Sep 7, 2009
Any news on an updated release? I love this ROM and would like to see it updated. It's 1 out of two ROMs that data works flawlessly for me.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

vyny9e6y.jpg
lol

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

hawk687

Jan 24, 2010
I feel you, just did the same thing, but got the s5. I love it, but already miss the community.

I could root, but then I truly void warranty and can't take advantage of jump.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Wait so we can't unroot the s5 and still have a warranty? I'm thinking of getting it too but no warranty is a problem.

ABN85

May 21, 2010
Wolfe City, TX
Anytime I root my phones I don't care about a warranty cuz I know from the start that I'm voiding it. I've never tried to have a rooted phone replaced under warranty and never will. Not preaching, I just think if you're gonna root, you should accept responsibility for that. Only situation I could see it being okay is if it's a known problem with the device caused by the manufacturer, i.e. faulty speaker, charging port, etc. Other than that, whether you brick it or break it, it's your fault.

Sent from my GNex on OmniMetal 4.4.2

hawk687

Jan 24, 2010
Anytime I root my phones I don't care about a warranty cuz I know from the start that I'm voiding it. I've never tried to have a rooted phone replaced under warranty and never will. Not preaching, I just think if you're gonna root, you should accept responsibility for that. Only situation I could see it being okay is if it's a known problem with the device caused by the manufacturer, i.e. faulty speaker, charging port, etc. Other than that, whether you brick it or break it, it's your fault.

Touche... Had multiple headphone jack issues with like 2-3 rooted/non-rooted fascinates back in the day. Just don't want something like that to happen again and not have a warranty for a manufacturing defect. Needed my voodoo sound on my fassy :)

That said I totally agree with you.

Reactions: ABN85

ABN85

May 21, 2010
Wolfe City, TX
Touche... Had multiple headphone jack issues with like 2-3 rooted/non-rooted fascinates back in the day. Just don't want something like that to happen again and not have a warranty for a manufacturing defect. Needed my voodoo sound on my fassy :)

That said I totally agree with you.

My cousin went thru like 6 different fascinates, glad I decided against buying that phone.

AirBoss24K

Aug 24, 2012
Bethlehem
So I tried to turn on my phone today and it won't boot up. It's stuck at the screen with the green android winking continuously for at least 30 min now. I'm on the 1-11-14 build. What do I do now? this has never happened to me before. How can I fix it?

I actually just had this happen to me today. Somewhat concerned about it because I don't remember what build I'm even on. Pretty sure it was a Linaro build from around the same time. I'm not really sure what the issue is but figured I'd attempt to wipe the caches and now I'm stuck at the "Android is upgrading..." screen. It appeared to "upgrade" all my apps but it's now stuck trying to start them and I've been sitting here for about 15 minutes to no avail. Rather depressing.

cmoG530

Sep 7, 2009
I actually just had this happen to me today. Somewhat concerned about it because I don't remember what build I'm even on. Pretty sure it was a Linaro build from around the same time. I'm not really sure what the issue is but figured I'd attempt to wipe the caches and now I'm stuck at the "Android is upgrading..." screen. It appeared to "upgrade" all my apps but it's now stuck trying to start them and I've been sitting here for about 15 minutes to no avail. Rather depressing.

Just wipe data and reflash the ROM again. Nothing to be depressed about. :)

AirBoss24K

Aug 24, 2012
Bethlehem
Just wipe data and reflash the ROM again. Nothing to be depressed about. :)

Turns out I was on the 12-19 build. I believe this is prior to Omni growing in popularity. I'm not sure what caused the random crash, but I ended up restoring to my last backup which was in late December (rookie mistake, I know), and then just wiping everything to test the XDA waters. I can say with certainty, it was the longest time I went without flashing a ROM or even updates to the ROM. I was just generally content with it. Well done!

I saw PA making a comeback and figured I'd give theirs a try just for kicks. Works pretty smoothly, though many complain of location lock issues and data switching problems; I have yet to see any of these issues and have 0 complaints, it's a good ROM. I've been inactive in this thread for some time, but it looks like Omni is generally pretty reliable as far as those items are concerned. I may eventually make the switch back if I start having issues, but so far PA is looking like a decent daily driver, despite being in beta.

creaky

Apr 22, 2011
Been having some issues with AdAway on this ROM. When I apply updates and reboot, I get a bootloop on the Google black screen. Any ideas? Or suggestions for other ad-blocking apps?

raing

Nov 24, 2009
Been having some issues with AdAway on this ROM. When I apply updates and reboot, I get a bootloop on the Google black screen. Any ideas? Or suggestions for other ad-blocking apps?

You could try adfree. I've been using it without problem for a long time. You have to download the APK from their website (http://adfree.bigtincan.com/) and then manually install it, since it got pulled from the play store a while back.

Reactions: creaky

GotSka81

Jul 27, 2010
Audio Dropouts

Before I ask, I promise I tried to search the threads for Omni here and on...other sites...but could not find an answer. I love me some Omni, but the most recent build has a flaw that has been driving me crazy and I'm hoping there's someone here who knows of a fix. While playing audio (doesn't seem to matter what app I'm using, but for the record the apps being used are "DoggCatcher" and the Google Music app) and driving my audio will get choppy and eventually just stop. Sometimes it just stops without the choppiness. When this happens, the app still reports that the audio is playing, but no progress is being made in the progress bar and there's no audio. The app will cycle a pause, but nothing happens. The only solution to get the audio back is to kill the app and start it again. The audio can be playing for 15 minutes or 15 seconds before the issue strikes. It also doesn't matter if the audio is being streamed or is played from a local file.

My only thoughts are that maybe dropouts of data are causing the apps to crash? So far none of the changes I've tried have worked. I reloaded the ROM a few times with no change, and other ROMs don't have the issue on the same phone.

Thoughts? Anyone?

p34rp34r

Jan 4, 2013
Before I ask, I promise I tried to search the threads for Omni here and on...other sites...but could not find an answer. I love me some Omni, but the most recent build has a flaw that has been driving me crazy and I'm hoping there's someone here who knows of a fix. While playing audio (doesn't seem to matter what app I'm using, but for the record the apps being used are "DoggCatcher" and the Google Music app) and driving my audio will get choppy and eventually just stop. Sometimes it just stops without the choppiness. When this happens, the app still reports that the audio is playing, but no progress is being made in the progress bar and there's no audio. The app will cycle a pause, but nothing happens. The only solution to get the audio back is to kill the app and start it again. The audio can be playing for 15 minutes or 15 seconds before the issue strikes. It also doesn't matter if the audio is being streamed or is played from a local file.

My only thoughts are that maybe dropouts of data are causing the apps to crash? So far none of the changes I've tried have worked. I reloaded the ROM a few times with no change, and other ROMs don't have the issue on the same phone.

Thoughts? Anyone?

Sounds a bit like an issue several others, including myself, had. My problem was random pausing when volume was very high while using an aux cable to the car. Someone else had a pausing issue with an aux cable to a stereo, also at high volume. I noticed the issue was worse when using headphone volume boost >2 in apps like Trickstermod. What seemed to make the problem "go away" for me was using headphone boost =1. However, I am also running latest SmittyV kernel and Omnirom nightly, so maybe one of those things "fixed" this issue.

GotSka81

Jul 27, 2010
Sounds a bit like an issue several others, including myself, had. My problem was random pausing when volume was very high while using an aux cable to the car. Someone else had a pausing issue with an aux cable to a stereo, also at high volume. I noticed the issue was worse when using headphone volume boost >2 in apps like Trickstermod. What seemed to make the problem "go away" for me was using headphone boost =1. However, I am also running latest SmittyV kernel and Omnirom nightly, so maybe one of those things "fixed" this issue.

Thank you so much for the reply! I found some things throughout this thread that sounded vaguely like the problem I was experiencing, but kept getting caught on the idea that the audio was "pausing" (which seems to be the wording used by others) as opposed to just...stopping. Like you said, my volume is always at max when the issue occurs, and it's feeding into an aux in for my car stereo. I'm not using any kind of headphone boost or even equalization, but maybe I'll give the nightly a whirl and see what happens. I haven't found a ROM that made my GNex bearable like this one has, and it's been killing me that this audio issue is ruining my experience!

47th_Ronin

Jan 17, 2012
@metalspring

Saw that you were gonna give us one for the road and I for one can't thank you enough for that but mostly for just being you.
One of the nicest most helpful guys on this forum without a doubt (along with @MWisBest Hell tbh for a while there I thought you two were the same guy lol)

Hate to see you go but we all gotta go sometime.

So long and thanks for all the fish!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

windfrenzy

Nov 24, 2010
Fingers crossed that since @metalspring tweaked @bsmitty's kernel for Tuna that he'll grace us with at least one more version of OmniMetal. I can't imagine the smoothness of that combination.

That does sound exciting, but the latest Omnimetal with metal's SmittyV ver. 2 is working great already. It would be nice to have the kernel baked into the ROM with whatever settings he feels work best.

Reactions: Ozzie12 and RLC44

metalspring

Nov 5, 2011
Well here is a test build if anyone wants to try it lol

Nothing really special yet, just all these optimizations, just adding the latest version of dirtyv kernel, plus the fixes needed to run them (and clang had to be built with -O3 instead of -O4, which just means LTO wasnt enabled in clang compiler, but link time opt was enabled in gcc which builds most of the code anyway).
https://github.com/metalspring/android_build/commit/4d75087c4e135570516b68a57ca8c2789e80dc39
https://github.com/metalspring/android_build/commit/c831f535a48aea75068e996c39f85c601d24f7b7
https://github.com/metalspring/android_build/commit/86536e2f19daf7624042e59dd20a20d1fbb0d8e1
https://github.com/metalspring/android_build/commit/7f07405f3b1ffe152b63b5d1af763b47673fc2e8

FYI, it might be a good idea to reflash the latest version of dirtyv anyway, since I didnt add the ramdisk changes in this build (it was mostly just to get the optimization commits and fixes tested).

So here it is for any of you feeling up to testing-
omni-4.4.2-toro.zip

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Presenting OmniMetal rom for the Verizon Galaxy nexus where speed is king
    This will be a semi nightly build and a work in progress
    OmniMetal

Standard disclaimer-
    Code:
    * Your warranty is now void.
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.

Credits and thanks to-
    @Mwisbest for all his source with various fixes and optimizations
    @bsmitty83 for his great kernel source
    MBQ_ for help with github
    Linaro for thier optimizated toolchains and code
    Omni Rom for the awesome base
    Vanir Aosp for all their code fixes and enhancements
    Anyone else that contributed to source
    Google and Linux for open source goodness
    And of course anyone that uses my roms :)

Current Modifications by me
    fix for mobile network settings for toro
    -O3 optimizations
    Switch to linaro 4.8 toolchain
    Added a little more gcc optimizations
    Change animation scale in developer settings to .5 (helps with graphics some and gives an overall snappier feel)
    Various tweaks and modifications for performance
    Switch to Dirty_V

To-do List
    Suggestions?

Downloads
    OmniMetal-toro

PA gapps

Installation
    Use only the latest cwm (6.0.4.3) or latest TWRP (2.6.3.1)
    Backup current rom in recovery
    Wipe cache and data (I suggest wiping system as well but its optional)
    Flash rom
    Flash Gapps
    Reboot
    Enjoy some OMNI goodness

Known Issues
    None?

Like my rom or work?
    Donate to me

XDA:DevDB Information
    OmniMetal, ROM for the Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Contributors
    metalspring
    ROM OS Version: 4.4.x KitKat
    Based On: Omni Rom

Version Information

Created 2013-11-18
    Last Updated 2014-06-01
    new omnimetal build uploading now (should be about 15-20 minutes)
    new features include but arent limited to navbar resizing, navbar customization, volume music controls and more power menu options
    Also switched to linaro 4.8 toolchain for the rom (with working ART), and sabermod 4.8 for the kernel and also added in even more bug fixes and *hopefully* fixed the reboot issues (those that had these issues please test this as much as possible)

Sorry no quick settings yet but they are still being worked on

Edit: finished uploading, it can be found here (same link as in OP)-
    https://www.mediafire.com/folder/pwddjjivtxv05/omnimetal-toro
    Sorry for the extended absence, I just needed a little time off :p
    Going to work on getting everything set up again soon, but probably no builds for at least a few days
    merry christmas everyone, as a special gift here is carbon rom 4.4 and vanir 4.4 (sorry, ART still isnt working with vanir though so dont try it unless you want a bootloop lol)
    Only changes I made was including askp kernel in both and building carbon with linaro 4.7 toolchain

carbon rom 4.4.2-toro

vanir 4.4.2-toro

Enjoy and dont spend all christmas playing flashing (roms i mean lmao) and enjoy time with family or however you celebrate christmas

side note- maguro and toroplus versions will come later too
    Suggested Apps, Settings and Various Other Goodies

My personal settings for maximum performance
    DirtyV kernel (included in rom)
    TCP Congestion Control: Cubic
    Read Ahead Buffer Size: 1024
    I/O Scheduler: FIOPS
    Frequencies-
    230000 Min
    1500000 Max
    700000 Max Screen Off
    350000 Min Screen on
    Governor: Ondemand
    Dynamic Fsync: On (Please turn this off while adjusting settings to avoid issues if these settings dont work with your phone)
    Temperature Limit: 80
    GPU OC: 512 MHz
    ZRam: Off
    SmartReflex: Core, IVA MPU All On

Optimal Display Settings-
    Content Adaptive Brightness- Off
    Contrast: -14
    Gamma Adjustment: 6
    Gamma Offsets-
    Red: - 6
    Green: 0
    Blue: 8
    Color Multipliers-
    Red: 200
    Green: 200
    Blue: 265

Other Settings for Performance-
    Force GPU Rendering: On
    ART Runtime
    Window Animation Scale: .5
    Transition Animation Scale: .5
    Animator Duration Scale: .5

NEPHILIMS CUSTOM KERNEL SETTINGS (For balance of performance and battery life)

Useful Apps/Addons
    Xposed Framework (Not compatible with ART runtime)
    For Music Lovers- VIPER4Android (Please follow instructions in thread op and use SuperSu)
    Google Dialer with nearby places and search
    Photosphere Addon

Anything you think should be here? Just tell me and it will be added :)