[Q] Galaxy display is very pixelated after Android update

Search This thread

Thorfell

Apr 17, 2014
Hi, hope someone can help me.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 (GT-I9500), it was on Android 4.3 and I upgraded to Andorid 4.4.2 via Kies.
This was a legitimate provider update.
Immediately on the first boot the Samsung Logo was blocky and pixelated, so was the Samsung animation.

This blocky-ness persists on the desktop and any app I open.
UNTIL I lock the screen and unlock it. Then everything becomes clear again.

I since then I installed a new 4.4.2 ROM via Odin, but no luck.
I have ClockWorkMod installed too. The strange thing is that when I boot into recovery mode (into ClockMod) the resolution is fine.

Any ideas?
Help would be greatly appreciated.

Trozzul

Jun 21, 2012
Seattle
Hi, hope someone can help me.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 (GT-I9500), it was on Android 4.3 and I upgraded to Andorid 4.4.2 via Kies.
This was a legitimate provider update.
Immediately on the first boot the Samsung Logo was blocky and pixelated, so was the Samsung animation.

This blocky-ness persists on the desktop and any app I open.
UNTIL I lock the screen and unlock it. Then everything becomes clear again.

I since then I installed a new 4.4.2 ROM via Odin, but no luck.
I have ClockWorkMod installed too. The strange thing is that when I boot into recovery mode (into ClockMod) the resolution is fine.

Any ideas?
Help would be greatly appreciated.

can you give us a pic?

Thorfell

Apr 17, 2014

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-04-17-17-50-59.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-04-17-17-50-59.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 446
  • Screenshot_2014-04-17-17-51-18.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-04-17-17-51-18.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 430

Thorfell

Apr 17, 2014
I just took a look at the screenshots I attached.
They look fine!

that's very odd. What would cause the screen to display the images badly but save the screenshots as normal?

Thorfell

Apr 17, 2014
well if CWM looks fine, try flashing twrp and see if twrp is pixely, if not get back to stock 4.2.2 or 4.3 and see whats up. maybe you had a bad install on 4.4?

I tried flashing back to 4.3, but Odin Failed.
I am trying to get a different 4.4.2 ROM now.

Once I download the new ROM (my bandwidth is terrible), do you think it's worthwhile to re-partition in Odin as well to fix the blocky issue?
Do you think it could be boot loader related?

Trozzul

Jun 21, 2012
Seattle
I tried flashing back to 4.3, but Odin Failed.
I am trying to get a different 4.4.2 ROM now.

Once I download the new ROM (my bandwidth is terrible), do you think it's worthwhile to re-partition in Odin as well to fix the blocky issue?
Do you think it could be boot loader related?

thats up to you for the re partitioning, you know what it does right? as for Odin, did you get your firmware from here Sammobile.com? is download mode the same way as well?

Thorfell

Apr 17, 2014
thats up to you for the re partitioning, you know what it does right? as for Odin, did you get your firmware from here Sammobile.com? is download mode the same way as well?

I fugure if the pixelation is config related or a corruption then a repartition would fix it.

I will put a 4.3 XFA rom from sammobile and see if the problem goes away. It will have to be on after the easter weekend though

Thorfell

Apr 17, 2014
I fugure if the pixelation is config related or a corruption then a repartition would fix it.

I will put a 4.3 XFA rom from sammobile and see if the problem goes away. It will have to be on after the easter weekend though

No matter what I do, I can't get a 4.3 ROM on my galaxy.
I have flashed back to an official Samsung 4.4.2 for my region but the blocky-ness is still there.
I'm going to take the device to a Samsung store and see what they say.

Thanks for the advice.

Thorfell

Apr 17, 2014
No matter what I do, I can't get a 4.3 ROM on my galaxy.
I have flashed back to an official Samsung 4.4.2 for my region but the blocky-ness is still there.
I'm going to take the device to a Samsung store and see what they say.

Thanks for the advice.

Latest update: The Samsung Service centre is not particularly helpful.
I left my phone there yesterday and explained the problem.
Got the phone back and all they had done was wipe the data and reinstall Android. It has not fixed the pixelated problem.

I explained the problem again in excruciating detail and have left the phone with them once again.
let's see what happens.

Can anyone tell me what actually kicks off the graphics processing as soon as the phone boots?
As in when the very first image is displayed on boot (the Samsung logo with device model number).
Is it the bootloader? If so any ideas on what I can do to reinstall the standard samsung one?

Thorfell

Apr 17, 2014
Problem solved.
So after all of that Samsung replaced my screen and it sorted the problem out!

Still, it's very odd that it failed immediately after the 4.4.2 update.