Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,246 Members 39,577 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Q. About flashing older rom

Tip us?

Ztrindberg
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 36
Default Q. About flashing older rom

Hello. I have searched but not found any clear answer. I wonder if I have version MJ7 under AP can i then flash a older rom without problems?

Is it only if having kitkat then I can't flash older rom? Or is it even when being on jelly bean?

I ask because I need to keep knox ok but I want root. So i thought I flash a older rom and root and keep knox ok?

radicalisto
Old
Thanks Meter 1386

DONATE TO ME
You won't be able to flash anything below MJ7 if that's what you currently have. And with MJ7 there is no way to root without tripping KNOX either I'm afraid.
// LG G3 (D855) // Stock // Stock //

S3(White) > M7(Red) > Note 3(Black) > Nexus 5(Black) > M8(Gunmetal) > LG G3 (Titan Grey)
The Following User Says Thank You to radicalisto For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

antique_sonic
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztrindberg View Post
Hello. I have searched but not found any clear answer. I wonder if I have version MJ7 under AP can i then flash a older rom without problems?

Is it only if having kitkat then I can't flash older rom? Or is it even when being on jelly bean?

I ask because I need to keep knox ok but I want root. So i thought I flash a older rom and root and keep knox ok?
In addition to what @radicalisto wrote earlier...
even you are in KK, you can't flash older ROM. And yes, any newer ROM which come with a new bootloader, once u flash it, most possibilities, you can't go back to earlier one.
so, if you are now on MJ7, and plan to have KK on it, I suggest you update first before you root your device.

~WJ~
Learn.... Learn.... & Learn
Learn till you die, and you will die a happy man

Q & A for XNote Galaxy S5 (All Questions about X-Note Galaxy S5 PORT) :
[Q&A]X-Note G900F S5 PORT
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to antique_sonic For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Ztrindberg
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by radicalisto View Post
You won't be able to flash anything below MJ7 if that's what you currently have. And with MJ7 there is no way to root without tripping KNOX either I'm afraid.
Thank you. I thought it was possible when I am still on jelly bean. So I was wrong. Sad it's not possible to flash older.
On my Note 1 I could flash anything from jelly bean.

Ztrindberg
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by antique_sonic View Post
In addition to what @radicalisto wrote earlier...
even you are in KK, you can't flash older ROM. And yes, any newer ROM which come with a new bootloader, once u flash it, most possibilities, you can't go back to earlier one.
so, if you are now on MJ7, and plan to have KK on it, I suggest you update first before you root your device.

Ok thanks. I will not update to kitkat. Because I don't want to trip knox when rooting.

Skickat från min SM-N9005 via Tapatalk

antique_sonic
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1087
Quote:
Ok thanks. I will not update to kitkat. Because I don't want to trip knox when rooting.

Hehehe.
U r on the dead end at the moment if u need to root safely, since u r on MJ7 alrd. U stay or u upgrade, if u want root result is the same.
Difference only on how many times u need to reroot.

Sent from somewhere under the sky, at the corner of this rounded earth.
~WJ~
Learn.... Learn.... & Learn
Learn till you die, and you will die a happy man

Q & A for XNote Galaxy S5 (All Questions about X-Note Galaxy S5 PORT) :
[Q&A]X-Note G900F S5 PORT
The Following User Says Thank You to antique_sonic For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ddogishere
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:

Have you tried kingo or Vroot?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk 2

Ztrindberg
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddogishere View Post
Have you tried kingo or Vroot?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk 2
No i have not tried anything yet. Because I though I could flash older rom while I still was on jelly bean.

So sad this of Samsung. Really sad. Less freedom.