Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,359 Members 41,169 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Sony Xperia Z Ultra: Latest file > SD Card swapping not working? Best ROM to fix?

Tip us?

smokinfish
Old
(Last edited by smokinfish; 21st April 2014 at 01:38 AM.) Reason: subscribe to emails
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Talking [Q] Sony Xperia Z Ultra: Latest file > SD Card swapping not working? Best ROM to fix?

I cannot live without being able to swap files from the phone to my card

Please someone point me in the right direction? If I have to put a Custom ROM on it I will, I'm not being stuck with this for another year..

I put Paranoid Android on my old Note Mk1 - didn't mind it but was a bit meh.

Any advice appreciated..

Sadman Khan
Old
Thanks Meter 236
For transferring files from phone to memory card you can use the File Commander app. No other third party app will work once you are on Kit Kat. This is due to sd card restrictions implemented by google under kit kat

Sent from my C6802 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

---------- Post added at 07:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:24 PM ----------

Also if you are rooted, there is an app on the playstore called SDfix or something like that. It males the sd card writable agaim

smokinfish
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Thanks for this info, SK

File Commander just appeared on my phone, I did not install it? Or did I?

It's all a bit 187 Lockdown this restriction though, reeks of "control," and the ability to off phones in riots etc...

#Googpression

Thanks again
The Following User Says Thank You to smokinfish For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

LordManhattan
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 5,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinfish View Post
Thanks for this info, SK

File Commander just appeared on my phone, I did not install it? Or did I?

It's all a bit 187 Lockdown this restriction though, reeks of "control," and the ability to off phones in riots etc...

#Googpression

Thanks again
File Commander was bundled with the Kitkat update, so Sony is probably just trying to give its non-rooted users an option without reverting the permission and pissing off Google.

There is however a reason why Google is doing this and they've explained it several times. It boils down to security. An SD card is removable; your NAND is not. I've also read about a bunch of devs that hates SD cards because of issues with having to develop for something that has removable storage, so it can **** up their app if the user simply removes the SD card (and a bunch of other reasons). I get it, but this whole thing is poorly executed by Google and the OEMs. Don't want us to use removable storage? Well stop giving us the option. OEMs will have to drop SD support and give us devices with 64GB+.

You can read my about this by googling.

Sent from my C6833 using Tapatalk

Sadman Khan
Old
Thanks Meter 236
Exactly. They should just make the new phones with AT LEAST 64 GB of storage to avoid these problems. And honestly, during the update to Kit Kat, it should be mentioned somewhere in the changelog, that there are such restrictions. Most people get to know this after the update and some don't even know how to revert back and hence the complaints.

smokinfish
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Thanks again for the info, I personally never remove my memory card but obvs it happens..

Is there any reason why File Commander keeps crashing when I try to open it? It gets some way into drawing the thumbnails of pics folder that I'm in, then just bombs out. Is it rubbish?

Just when I thought my prayers were answered....

Sadman Khan
Old
Thanks Meter 236
See if yours is the latest version on playstore. That didn't happen to me :/ or you can try to wipe data in settings>apps>file commander