XDA LG Development Challenge Winners

Almost 3months ago, we set out with LGto findtwo amazing apps that developers could put together … more

Wearable Apps w/ Andreas Göransson – XDA:DevCon 2014

XDA:DevCon 2014 in Manchester, UK featured quite a few interesting topics as … more

Browse Your Files with Ease using MK Explorer

Google has made quite an effort in perfecting the powerful and multi-faceted OS that we know as … more

How to Fix the Nexus Available Storage Bug – XDA TV

Is your Nexus device only showing half of the available storage as it should? Many … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Unsure of which rom to choose for a Lumia 520 to debrand.

OP joebells

10th March 2014, 08:01 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

6 posts
Hi, got my girlfriend a 520 AT&T gophone and she is using it in the USA with straight talk. We went to try internet sharing and see that AT&T has disabled it, and removed the data sense app. I've been spending the last week reading about the debranding process. I have the Nokia tools downloaded and setup and ready except for which ROM to choose.

I really am at a loss as to which ROM I should download. I was ready to download 059S2D1 RM-915 LIGHT SWAP ENG GLOBAL
Then read 059S2X9 RM-915 VAR BR CV was a good choice and have also read 059S340 RM-915 VAR APAC AU CV is a good choice.

I've read the swap Roms are generic which sounds good but what does the light part mean?

The BR I'm guessing is Great Britain?

The AU I'm guessing is Australia, but can't figure out what APAC stands for.

Seems CV stands for generic? So really all three of these Roms should be pretty similar except for what language they default to?

Sorry about all the questions I have spent a bunch of time reading just want to make sure before I possibly have her phone out of commission for a while by choosing a bad rom. I couldn't find any kind of abbreviation decoder for the Nokia Roms.

Thank You

Edit: There doesn't seem to be any ROM for USA with CV or am I just not finding one? I'm guessing Nokia must only sell the phone through carriers in the us so no need to release a Generic ROM for the USA.
Last edited by joebells; 10th March 2014 at 08:17 AM. Reason: another question
10th March 2014, 12:42 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 7

85 posts
More
Bro, you don't Need new ROM to debrand, search Google for " Lumia 520 Debranding", i'm sure you'll find a solution, there are a complete sites just made to tell you how to debrand your phone

Sent from my ST25i using Tapatalk
10th March 2014, 04:31 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

6 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefs

Bro, you don't Need new ROM to debrand, search Google for " Lumia 520 Debranding", i'm sure you'll find a solution, there are a complete sites just made to tell you how to debrand your phone

Thank You, I appreciate the response but I again searched using your exact phrase, also adding without ROM and a few variations. They all still reference the need to flash a non carrier specific version of my phones rom. I can't find a single reference to being able to enable internet sharing and data sense using the stock AT&T ROM.
10th March 2014, 04:44 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 25

122 posts
CV stands for country variant. Basically a generic ROM (no carrier crap), but only comes on unbranded and unlocked devices sold in specific country/region.

Another ROM worth trying (if it exists for the 520), is the developer ROM. As generic as it can be, no carrier crap + all features enabled (Data Sense, etc.).
Last edited by DaviUnic; 10th March 2014 at 08:03 PM.
10th March 2014, 07:55 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 7

85 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebells

Thank You, I appreciate the response but I again searched using your exact phrase, also adding without ROM and a few variations. They all still reference the need to flash a non carrier specific version of my phones rom. I can't find a single reference to being able to enable internet sharing and data sense using the stock AT&T ROM.

Ok, to be honest, i'm not alot experienced in wp8 smartphones so you might be right, sorry for wasting ur time

12th March 2014, 12:05 AM   |  #6  
Flag Vancouver
Thanks Meter: 66

303 posts
More
The tethering lock is a network feature. I tried to debrand my 521 to the firmware that Nokia shipped with a replacement motherboard, I am still getting the message on T-Mobile that I have to buy that feature.

Sent from my Nexus 5
17th March 2014, 10:52 PM   |  #7  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 1,284

2,246 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer23d

The tethering lock is a network feature. I tried to debrand my 521 to the firmware that Nokia shipped with a replacement motherboard, I am still getting the message on T-Mobile that I have to buy that feature.

Sent from my Nexus 5

That's because the Lumia 521 is a carrier exclusive phone.

---------- Post added at 01:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebells

Hi, got my girlfriend a 520 AT&T gophone and she is using it in the USA with straight talk. We went to try internet sharing and see that AT&T has disabled it, and removed the data sense app. I've been spending the last week reading about the debranding process. I have the Nokia tools downloaded and setup and ready except for which ROM to choose.

I really am at a loss as to which ROM I should download. I was ready to download 059S2D1 RM-915 LIGHT SWAP ENG GLOBAL
Then read 059S2X9 RM-915 VAR BR CV was a good choice and have also read 059S340 RM-915 VAR APAC AU CV is a good choice.

I've read the swap Roms are generic which sounds good but what does the light part mean?

The BR I'm guessing is Great Britain?

The AU I'm guessing is Australia, but can't figure out what APAC stands for.

Seems CV stands for generic? So really all three of these Roms should be pretty similar except for what language they default to?

Sorry about all the questions I have spent a bunch of time reading just want to make sure before I possibly have her phone out of commission for a while by choosing a bad rom. I couldn't find any kind of abbreviation decoder for the Nokia Roms.

Thank You

Edit: There doesn't seem to be any ROM for USA with CV or am I just not finding one? I'm guessing Nokia must only sell the phone through carriers in the us so no need to release a Generic ROM for the USA.

APAC = Asia Pacific

Any of the Country Variants would be fine most likely. I'd go with the Australia one.. just because it's certain to be the Australia one. BR could stand for something else.
18th March 2014, 03:26 AM   |  #8  
Flag Debrecen
Thanks Meter: 364

684 posts
Donate to Me
More
The two-letter parts are usually country codes, in the case of BR it should be Brasil.
From experience I can say that all firmwares released for the RM-914 059S6X9 are carrier-free (though they are Danish by default!). I'm not sure that the radio difference would cause trouble though.

But if you go through the possible variants using NaviFirm+, you should be able to see the carrier-free ones. They usually have no provider name (e.g. ATT, Vodafone, T-Mobile, Verizon, Telenor, 3, etc.) in the version name Look for UK/US variant of the firmware under the proper model number.
22nd April 2014, 01:14 PM   |  #9  
OP Junior Member

6 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer23d

Sent from my Nexus 5

This seems to be the case, I just finally got a chance to flash her phone(we don't have internet at home so I have to go out to download stuff and we both work) I chose 059S340 RM-915 VAR APAC AU CV and it flashed successfully. Unfortunately it is still giving me the same message about contacting att....

It did at least enable the data sense app so now she can see how much data she is using. I wonder if I got the phone unlocked if it would let it tether?

I appreciate all the responses.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread