Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,543 Members 37,165 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Unsure of which rom to choose for a Lumia 520 to debrand.

Tip us?

joebells
Old
(Last edited by joebells; 10th March 2014 at 07:17 AM.) Reason: another question
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Unsure of which rom to choose for a Lumia 520 to debrand.

Hi, got my girlfriend a 520 AT&T gophone and she is using it in the USA with straight talk. We went to try internet sharing and see that AT&T has disabled it, and removed the data sense app. I've been spending the last week reading about the debranding process. I have the Nokia tools downloaded and setup and ready except for which ROM to choose.

I really am at a loss as to which ROM I should download. I was ready to download 059S2D1 RM-915 LIGHT SWAP ENG GLOBAL
Then read 059S2X9 RM-915 VAR BR CV was a good choice and have also read 059S340 RM-915 VAR APAC AU CV is a good choice.

I've read the swap Roms are generic which sounds good but what does the light part mean?

The BR I'm guessing is Great Britain?

The AU I'm guessing is Australia, but can't figure out what APAC stands for.

Seems CV stands for generic? So really all three of these Roms should be pretty similar except for what language they default to?

Sorry about all the questions I have spent a bunch of time reading just want to make sure before I possibly have her phone out of commission for a while by choosing a bad rom. I couldn't find any kind of abbreviation decoder for the Nokia Roms.

Thank You

Edit: There doesn't seem to be any ROM for USA with CV or am I just not finding one? I'm guessing Nokia must only sell the phone through carriers in the us so no need to release a Generic ROM for the USA.

yousefs
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Bro, you don't Need new ROM to debrand, search Google for " Lumia 520 Debranding", i'm sure you'll find a solution, there are a complete sites just made to tell you how to debrand your phone

Sent from my ST25i using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk

joebells
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by yousefs View Post
Bro, you don't Need new ROM to debrand, search Google for " Lumia 520 Debranding", i'm sure you'll find a solution, there are a complete sites just made to tell you how to debrand your phone

Thank You, I appreciate the response but I again searched using your exact phrase, also adding without ROM and a few variations. They all still reference the need to flash a non carrier specific version of my phones rom. I can't find a single reference to being able to enable internet sharing and data sense using the stock AT&T ROM.

DaviUnic
Old
(Last edited by DaviUnic; 10th March 2014 at 07:03 PM.)
Thanks Meter 25
CV stands for country variant. Basically a generic ROM (no carrier crap), but only comes on unbranded and unlocked devices sold in specific country/region.

Another ROM worth trying (if it exists for the 520), is the developer ROM. As generic as it can be, no carrier crap + all features enabled (Data Sense, etc.).

yousefs
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebells View Post
Thank You, I appreciate the response but I again searched using your exact phrase, also adding without ROM and a few variations. They all still reference the need to flash a non carrier specific version of my phones rom. I can't find a single reference to being able to enable internet sharing and data sense using the stock AT&T ROM.
Ok, to be honest, i'm not alot experienced in wp8 smartphones so you might be right, sorry for wasting ur time

Using Tapatalk

killer23d
Old
Thanks Meter 65
The tethering lock is a network feature. I tried to debrand my 521 to the firmware that Nokia shipped with a replacement motherboard, I am still getting the message on T-Mobile that I have to buy that feature.

Sent from my Nexus 5

MameTozhio
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1255

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer23d View Post
The tethering lock is a network feature. I tried to debrand my 521 to the firmware that Nokia shipped with a replacement motherboard, I am still getting the message on T-Mobile that I have to buy that feature.

Sent from my Nexus 5
That's because the Lumia 521 is a carrier exclusive phone.

---------- Post added at 01:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebells View Post
Hi, got my girlfriend a 520 AT&T gophone and she is using it in the USA with straight talk. We went to try internet sharing and see that AT&T has disabled it, and removed the data sense app. I've been spending the last week reading about the debranding process. I have the Nokia tools downloaded and setup and ready except for which ROM to choose.

I really am at a loss as to which ROM I should download. I was ready to download 059S2D1 RM-915 LIGHT SWAP ENG GLOBAL
Then read 059S2X9 RM-915 VAR BR CV was a good choice and have also read 059S340 RM-915 VAR APAC AU CV is a good choice.

I've read the swap Roms are generic which sounds good but what does the light part mean?

The BR I'm guessing is Great Britain?

The AU I'm guessing is Australia, but can't figure out what APAC stands for.

Seems CV stands for generic? So really all three of these Roms should be pretty similar except for what language they default to?

Sorry about all the questions I have spent a bunch of time reading just want to make sure before I possibly have her phone out of commission for a while by choosing a bad rom. I couldn't find any kind of abbreviation decoder for the Nokia Roms.

Thank You

Edit: There doesn't seem to be any ROM for USA with CV or am I just not finding one? I'm guessing Nokia must only sell the phone through carriers in the us so no need to release a Generic ROM for the USA.
APAC = Asia Pacific

Any of the Country Variants would be fine most likely. I'd go with the Australia one.. just because it's certain to be the Australia one. BR could stand for something else.
HTC One V (August 27th 2012 - August 3rd 2013, still own) -> LG Nexus 4 (August 3rd 2013 - January 11th 2014, still own) -> Nokia Lumia 520 (January 11th 2014 - present)

I'm not as active as I used to be. I still show up from time to time.

fonix232
Old
Thanks Meter 363

DONATE TO ME
The two-letter parts are usually country codes, in the case of BR it should be Brasil.
From experience I can say that all firmwares released for the RM-914 059S6X9 are carrier-free (though they are Danish by default!). I'm not sure that the radio difference would cause trouble though.

But if you go through the possible variants using NaviFirm+, you should be able to see the carrier-free ones. They usually have no provider name (e.g. ATT, Vodafone, T-Mobile, Verizon, Telenor, 3, etc.) in the version name Look for UK/US variant of the firmware under the proper model number.
If you like my work, invite me for a drink or two!

Devices:
  • Alcatel OT-995
  • Nokia Lumia 520

joebells
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer23d View Post

Sent from my Nexus 5

This seems to be the case, I just finally got a chance to flash her phone(we don't have internet at home so I have to go out to download stuff and we both work) I chose 059S340 RM-915 VAR APAC AU CV and it flashed successfully. Unfortunately it is still giving me the same message about contacting att....

It did at least enable the data sense app so now she can see how much data she is using. I wonder if I got the phone unlocked if it would let it tether?

I appreciate all the responses.