Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,051 Members 53,748 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Switch or come from M8?

Tip us?

Crooke356
Old
Thanks Meter 132
First off, i'm impressed with this thread so far. Everyone giving their opinions and not telling anyone what they should do or that something sucks.. It's refreshing.

I own both myself and the G2. While the displays on the G2 and M8 are great and are by no means slouches, the AMOLED on the S5 is just stunning. The best on a mobile device I've ever owned. I do enjoy the back and it feels well construed. I went ahead and added wireless hotspot to my unlimited plan for another $30. I did this for more than just having it on my S5, the only device I own that isn't rooted but wanted to throw that out there for those who are worried about it affecting their unlimited data and don't mind paying the extra cash.. It only brings my bill up to $120 so it's acceptable for me. I love my devices and usually hold on to all of them but with S5, I planned on giving it a test run as I'm in love with the M8 and will not be parting with it anytime soon. But, I didn't count on my love for the S5's display. I'll be keeping it as well.. At least until the G3 comes out. A Galaxy device is like money in the bank. Great resale value. Owning all the devices that I do and cruising all the threads, it's obviously, as we all know, personal preference. Just keep at the reviews and find what features are most valuable to you.

If all my devices were held hostage and I was only allowed to keep one, it would be none of the above. It would be my developer edition Moto X, that is covered by warranty while being unlocked, rooted and running a custom ROM based the stock Moto UI.

Sorry for the novel, I always end up rambling.

Sent from my SM-G900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to Crooke356 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dts242
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciscoaudrey View Post
Im coming from S4 to S5 but due to not having root im taking it back today. Actually liked how snappy it is and smooth it works. Reason i need root is need to tether my unlimited data. Was actually considering M8 cause its roited and unlocked but i just dont know might wait for that Sony to come out soon.
KitKat kills tethering.

supermatt9
Old
Thanks Meter 7
I am exchanging my s5 tomorrow for the m8. The s5 is awesome but there's a few things I'm really looking forward to on the m8...

1. Root/s-off. This is important to me. For me having a phone without root is like having a bike with flat tires. You can still ride it, but it sucks and the bike is so much more fun with pumped up tires.

2. On screen buttons. I do not like the physical home button, and since I am left handed I HATE that the back button is in the bottom right hand corner. It's a pain for me to reach. If I could switch the back and recents button on the s5 that would go a long way.

3. Front speakers. I watch a lot of stuff on my phone and the first time I heard the speakers on the m8 I knew I was probably gonna exchange my phone.

4. Double tap to turn on. I fell in love with this feature on the G2 (kinda wish I had just kept that phone. It's a great phone. Gave it to my sister in law though). Once you get used to this feature it's hard to not have it.

Things I'll miss about the s5:
1. The screen. It. is. Beautiful.
2. Water resistant. It's been a long time since I've dropped my phone in the toilet. I'm overdue for it to happen again.
3. Removable battery. I've always like this feature.

Any thoughts on the battery life of the m8 vs the s5? I know the battery life on the G2 was quite a bit better than on my s5. Is the battery on the m8 even worse?

Lastly - what's with the sim card on the s5 not being spring loaded? IT's a PAIN to take out.

---------- Post added at 10:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dts242 View Post
KitKat kills tethering.

What do you mean? I've tethered many times on different phones running kit kat. Lack of root kills tethering. Not kit kat.

dts242
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermatt9 View Post
I am exchanging my s5 tomorrow for the m8. The s5 is awesome but there's a few things I'm really looking forward to on the m8...

1. Root/s-off. This is important to me. For me having a phone without root is like having a bike with flat tires. You can still ride it, but it sucks and the bike is so much more fun with pumped up tires.

2. On screen buttons. I do not like the physical home button, and since I am left handed I HATE that the back button is in the bottom right hand corner. It's a pain for me to reach. If I could switch the back and recents button on the s5 that would go a long way.

3. Front speakers. I watch a lot of stuff on my phone and the first time I heard the speakers on the m8 I knew I was probably gonna exchange my phone.

4. Double tap to turn on. I fell in love with this feature on the G2 (kinda wish I had just kept that phone. It's a great phone. Gave it to my sister in law though). Once you get used to this feature it's hard to not have it.

Things I'll miss about the s5:
1. The screen. It. is. Beautiful.
2. Water resistant. It's been a long time since I've dropped my phone in the toilet. I'm overdue for it to happen again.
3. Removable battery. I've always like this feature.

Any thoughts on the battery life of the m8 vs the s5? I know the battery life on the G2 was quite a bit better than on my s5. Is the battery on the m8 even worse?

Lastly - what's with the sim card on the s5 not being spring loaded? IT's a PAIN to take out.

---------- Post added at 10:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 PM ----------

What do you mean? I've tethered many times on different phones running kit kat. Lack of root kills tethering. Not kit kat.
You need more than root for tethering to work. FoxFi has stated that it will never work on KitKat. Hopefully somebody will find a way.

supermatt9
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
You need more than root for tethering to work. FoxFi has stated that it will never work on KitKat. Hopefully somebody will find a way.

Good point. In my experience I have always rooted and then flashed a rom. Whether it was a stock rooted rom or a custom build like CM, tethering was always built in.

BlueHarford
Old
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 359

DONATE TO ME
Quote:

if you use AOSP it works fine... G2 tethered all the time

dts242
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHarford View Post
if you use AOSP it works fine... G2 tethered all the time
AOSP will probably not be an option. It was only possible on the S4 when it first came out. After updates, you could only flash TW based ROM's.

jpmcnown
Old
Thanks Meter 138
Coming from S4 MDK to the S5. My brother needed a replacement phone, so I made a commitment to give the S4 to him, knowing the S5 was going to be a PITA to root. Though we don't have root, I'd rather suffer with a locked down S5, than suffer more with a rooted M8. Can't wait for something else to come along and offer another alternative.
Samsung Galaxy S5, 16+64, Locked down like an iPhone HTC One M8 32+64 /S-off/ Unlocked/ Rooted/ Rom'd, Samsung Galaxy S5, 16+64 Again (Thanks Geohot)

KennyG123
Old
RC-RT Committee / Senior Moderator / Spider-Mod
Thanks Meter 25422

DONATE TO ME
Please continue in the sticky thread for upgrading and device comparisons
Thanks
FNSM

Moderator Directory - - - FORUM RULES - - - Support Autism Awareness here

The Following User Says Thank You to KennyG123 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe