Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,619 Members 46,847 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Is the S5 tri-band ?

Tip us?

xenokc
Old
Thanks Meter 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordLugard View Post
Spark in NYC has been a disappointment for me. Haven't seen or noticed any improvements at all (I have an LG G2). Typically test as low as 2Mb to as high as 9Mb usually, which is just fine by me. Fast enough to stream stuff without buffering (most times) but it's just not consistent.
Frankly I'll trade some of that theoretical 40Mbps LTE speeds for better LTE coverage and 3G speeds and the ability to talk and surf over 3G and LTE any day. (I know it's not a big deal for lots of folks but i sure enjoyed it when I had the Galaxy S3 and Note 2).

Definitely jealous of your speeds though.
Yeah, that near 40Mbps is just at the site where I live and I don't really need it with Google Fiber. 30-40M is consistent at home but not common around town. I tried speed tests while on bus around midtown/downtown KC and it typically ranged from 6-30Mbps. I did see near 60Mbps but it was at the downtown Sprint store.

Lack of concurrent voice/data bothers me too. It's a real shame other carriers are heading this direction too as VoIP by carriers won't be common for a while. Can try Google Voice VoIP in the meantime.

mrjeff2
Old
Thanks Meter 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunundrum78 View Post
it says it right below

" when a Sprint LTE Triband device is in Sprint LTE coverage it parks only in LTE. And doing so means it cannot transmit calls without Circuit Switched Fallback (CSFB) on the network side. CSFB and eCSFB (Enhanced Circuit Switched Fallback) are network controls that will allow a single mode/single path network to operate in two modes, both CDMA and LTE"
Where does it say it will allow a single mode/single path network to operate in two modes simultaneously?

eyecon82
Old
Thanks Meter 1648
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjeff2 View Post
Where does it say it will allow a single mode/single path network to operate in two modes simultaneously?
The article stated "or" and after the update "and"

In programming terms, "and" means simultaneously especially if "or" was stated before

Is this just 2 different interpretations or are you guys 100 percent confident?

I spoke with a tier 3 sprint tech support rep and he even indicated that simultaneous voice and data over LTE will be implemented once all the spark towers have been upgraded

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

themuffinman
Old
(Last edited by themuffinman; 14th April 2014 at 11:27 PM.)
Thanks Meter 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyecon82 View Post

In programming terms, "and" means simultaneously especially if "or" was stated before

I spoke with a tier 3 sprint tech support rep and he even indicated that simultaneous voice and data over LTE will be implemented once all the spark towers have been upgraded

Its just two different interpretations but know that I am 100% sure of this. The tier 3 tech is definitely wrong and for what its worth I am part of the staff over on s4gru if that will give me any credibility. The way that one particular sentence is worded can be interpreted differently but once you read the entire paragraph and the following paragraphs you should get a better grasp of what Robert is trying to say. Based on how these tri-band phones are engineered right now there is no way for them to do both voice and lte simultaneously, it can only be connected to one or the other at any given moment. Obviously, this could change over time but it will be based on the hardware of the device and not the network in this particular case. In my previous post, I also provided a link to the thread over on s4gru.com that talks about this issue in great detail. You are more than welcome to join and ask any question you like. There are a lot knowledgeable people there that will give you a far better answer to anything you can come up with compared to talking to anyone at sprint.

ldduran25
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thumbs down galaxy s5

My sprint s5 will not switch from 3g\wifi to LTE without me turning on airplane mode or rebooting my phone. Anybody else having this issue?

neotremer
Old
Thanks Meter 0

DONATE TO ME
Sprint Spark is not swappable. It does not support simultaneously data. Which is crap. Also the other issue is that it defaults to the "new" bands. Not the current LTE band they have been using. I wont go to a spark device till i know i can change the priority and or disable the "new" bands.

crazyape415
Old
(Last edited by crazyape415; 22nd April 2014 at 12:43 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyecon82 View Post

The tech is probably correct, but the phone would need to be VoLTE (Voice over LTE) capable. From the article, I gathered that current phones are SVLTE (Samsung S4, etc) or CSFB/eCSFB (Samsung S5, LG2, etc), but not VoLTE. When all towers are upgraded, Voice and data over LTE (VoLTE) will be available _BUT_ we will need to buy a VoLTE capable phone to use voice and data simultaneously on the Spark network.

CSFB, as stated in prev posts, tells the phone to go to voice mode to answer a call and thus disconnects you from data. I'm making the need to buy a VoLTE capable phone assumption based on the fact that CSFB is not needed when VoLTE becomes live for Sprint (if the Tier 3 Tech is right) since the article does not state whether current phones will VoLTE capable via an OTA or if it's a hardware issue (meaning we all need to buy new phones).