Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,867 Members 41,980 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: Will you still buy it if knox is implemented?
Yes, Doesn't Really Affect Me 86 24.23%
Yes If knox reset solution is found 72 20.28%
Nope,i'm happy with my current phone 19 5.35%
No F*** You Samsung 139 39.15%
Not Really Sure 39 10.99%
Voters: 355. You may not vote on this poll

Knox - will you still buy or not?

Tip us?

kaspar737
Old
Thanks Meter 99
So, even if you only root S5, Knox will be tripped? If not, how about installing custom ROMs/kernels?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

harise100
Old
Thanks Meter 214
It is less cumbersome to simply trip the Knox flag, than to enter some long codes from manufacturers homepage.

Samsung is just doing what HTC and Sony are doing long time ago. Registering who activated the root access on the phone.

So I bought the phone and installed SuperSU on the same day.

Sent from my SM-G900F using xda app-developers app
SGS5 [SM-G900F]: EchoeRom
Nexus 7 [Flo]: SlimKat 4.4.x
The Following User Says Thank You to harise100 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kaspar737
Old
Thanks Meter 99
So you are saying you'd rather permanently have no warranty than enter IMEI code once?

nikzDHD
Old
Thanks Meter 1038
Unlocking the bootloader on HTC phones officially voids your warranty as well no different than tripping KNOX. With Sony it's a bit different as you seem to lose some drm related stuff/Sony engines but I don't pay attention to Sony devices.

At the end of the day it also depends where you live and luck of the draw. In the EU we have 2 year warranties and can argue with European law. They have to prove that us tampering with the software caused hardware damage. They can refuse to fix your product but most times they just fix it despite for example tripping Knox. I've previously sent previous Samsung devices running custom firmware and had no issues in warranty. But like I said it depends but most times here in the EU we should be fine.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 11:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaspar737 View Post
So, even if you only root S5, Knox will be tripped? If not, how about installing custom ROMs/kernels?

For custom roms and kernels you need a custom recovery, by installing a custom recovery you void Knox as well as rooting. There were patches before on the Note 3 to just root without voiding Knox but this method was patched on the Kit Kat update rendering it useless.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk
Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4 I9505
Rom: DjeMBeY XXUFNC9 4.4.2 | Der Kernel: KT Kernel | Theme: Domination V2.0

Tablet: Nexus 7 2013 32GB
Rom: OmniRom 4.4.2 | Der Kernel: Stock Omni

Previous: HTC DesireHD > Samsung Galaxy SII > T-Mobile Rapport > Samsung Galaxy S (Backup) > Samsung Galaxy SIII (Brief ownership) > Samsung Galaxy Note II > HTC One X > Nexus 4
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nikzDHD For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

THFourteen
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Briefly considered not rooting mine due to this Knox business.

But after two days of struggling with the SD card crap on KitKat I couldn't cope and have rooted it.

Plus I want my sixaxis Bluetooth support too. And titanium backup. And custom ROMs.

Sent from my SM-G900F using xda app-developers app

Captain Zero
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by st3chn0 View Post
That's only good if your buying from the samsung store many of us have brought it through third party

Sent from my SM-N9005 using xda app-developers app
This was at my carrier's store. Samsung store? Who pays retail for a phone?

Sent from my SM-G900W8

kms108
Old
Thanks Meter 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Zero View Post
This was at my carrier's store. Samsung store? Who pays retail for a phone?

Sent from my SM-G900W8
I always buy from a samsung store, it's more expensive, but my friends work there and I can spend hours their to check for problems like dead pixels, scratches and other problems, I also get a very good trade in price and many free gifts. From a carrier or other stores it's like 4 pixels or more for a exchange, and they give you the evil eyes if you check too long, and even with a slight scratch they will just say it isn't a problem.
Samsung Galaxy S5 SM900F
Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini Duos I9192

Sony XBA 3
Sony MDR EX600
Sony MDR EX800ST
Xiao Mi Piston IF Edition

antichoice
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I buy LG G Pro 2
Knox and the flag are worst thing i can imagine

ShadowLea
Old
Thanks Meter 740
I'm in the EU, I have a legal insurance and I have every bit the stubbornness to take things to the media and court if they refuse me my 2y warranty by breaking EU law. So I really don't care.

Opening your Xbox voids warranty too. Even your old VHS had that sticker. Unlocking a Wii or PSP voided your warranty. To unlock the bootloader on your TF700 you had to use an official Asus tool that registered you and voided your warranty.
SM-N9005 International Galaxy Note 3, DBT NB7 Stock
SM-G900F International Galaxy S5, PHN NCE Stock
SM-P905 NotePro 12.2 LTE Black, DBT NC3 Stock

The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it. –Chinese Proverb

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

The simplest solutions are often the cleverest. They are also usually wrong.