Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,846 Members 37,595 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Light flow/LED problem

Tip us?
 
Andyw2100
Old
#21  
Member
Thanks Meter 6
Posts: 53
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewnelson View Post
It is not possible to fix because of the limitation of the LED.
I don't know what the above refers to.

If it refers to what I said about the LED not staying lit while the screen is on, or not lighting again after the screen has been on, the poster above me in the thread said his --IS-- functioning that way, and I was just commenting that I have not yet been able to get mine to work that way.
 
djr83
Old
#22  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 29
Posts: 252
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyw2100 View Post
I don't know what the above refers to.

If it refers to what I said about the LED not staying lit while the screen is on, or not lighting again after the screen has been on, the poster above me in the thread said his --IS-- functioning that way, and I was just commenting that I have not yet been able to get mine to work that way.
Yeah, I'm not sure what he was refering to. If it was about not getting more colors which was what I asked about in the first post then it has already been confirmed that it depends on the hardware. Confusing post indeed.
 
Andyw2100
Old
#23  
Member
Thanks Meter 6
Posts: 53
Join Date: Feb 2008
DJR83--Do you think the differences we are seeing could be due to different phone setups / manufacturers / rooting methods? Because if not, I'd love to get my light to be able to stay on with the screen on, the way yours does, and also come back on, after the screen has been on, once it is off again, if the alert has not been cleared.

Would you mind taking a look at the settings I described a few posts back, and see if I missed anything that you've done?

Thanks!
 
djr83
Old
#24  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 29
Posts: 252
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyw2100 View Post
DJR83--Do you think the differences we are seeing could be due to different phone setups / manufacturers / rooting methods? Because if not, I'd love to get my light to be able to stay on with the screen on, the way yours does, and also come back on, after the screen has been on, once it is off again, if the alert has not been cleared.

Would you mind taking a look at the settings I described a few posts back, and see if I missed anything that you've done?

Thanks!
My thoughts about this is that it's all controlled through software, even some of the limits (not the color limits of course). My old Nexus 4 couldn't have the LED on while the screen was on, yet it still happened sometimes anyway. Obviously not a hardware limit then.
Root may of course be needed (I have root) but I don't believe rooting methods matter.

If I can get it to stay on, then I'm sure you can too.
 
EddyOS
Old
#25  
EddyOS's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,048
Posts: 13,307
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Liverpool, Merseyside
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyw2100 View Post
I don't know what the above refers to.

If it refers to what I said about the LED not staying lit while the screen is on, or not lighting again after the screen has been on, the poster above me in the thread said his --IS-- functioning that way, and I was just commenting that I have not yet been able to get mine to work that way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by djr83 View Post
Yeah, I'm not sure what he was refering to. If it was about not getting more colors which was what I asked about in the first post then it has already been confirmed that it depends on the hardware. Confusing post indeed.
That user is randomly replying to posts or copying/pasting replies - ignore them!
OnePlus One A0001 (Sandstone Grey) 64GB
ROM: CyanogenMod 11S (XNPH33R) | Bootloader: Stock | Recovery: TWRP 2.8.0.1 | Radio: Stock | Kernel: Franco Kernel r19

Google Nexus 5 D821 (Black) 32GB
ROM: Android 4.4.4 (KTU84P) | Bootloader: HHZ11K | Recovery: Stock | Radio: 2.0.50.1.16 | Kernel: Stock

If you have a question, great - but DO NOT PM ME WITH IT!!! | [GUIDE] Return your EU M8 to 100% Stock (S-OFF Required) | [GUIDE] Return your OPO to 100% Stock
 
keijers
Old
#26  
Member
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 66
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by djr83 View Post
When the LED is alternating between two colors (or more on other phones) it's probably two (or more) notifications and you've got the settings to loop through them all. Standard setting is to do this when you have the charger plugged in IIRC.

The LED is working with the screen on for me and I think it always has on the M8. On my Nexus 4 it turns off when I turn on the screen and the LED turns on again if I don't clear it and turn off the screen. Great if you don't want to read the message right now and still don't want to miss it later. Since the LED is always working wether or not the screen is on, this is not a problem on the M8.

But if it's possible to alternate with both colors on the same notification, that would be a great way to get a third "color". Could you check if it is like I said or if it really is dual color?

EDIT:
I got it to work! In mixer you can set one color to solid and one to flash to get both. So there are actually a difference on green + amber and amber + green. This will give us a total of 6 options: green, flashing green, orange, flashing orange, orange + flashing green, green + flashing orange.

EDIT2:
The non-flashing color isn't very strong, so I'm not sure how useful this really is.
http://youtu.be/CIRPbcZqV0U
I would really reproduce your settings. But I can't figure out how. The only thing is (maybe) that my phone is not rooted.

When I select direct mode and the alternative direct mode, it doesn't work at all. With direct mode it works only with the green light (flashing, not solid)

Could you please tell me your settings? Or make a screenshot of it?
 
djr83
Old
#27  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 29
Posts: 252
Join Date: Mar 2010
Since this seems to be a problem many are having, I've made a guide for it: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=52101531

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes