Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,019 Members 52,083 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] is it possible to change key functions?

Tip us?
 
arash2901
Old
#1  
arash2901's Avatar
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
Posts: 97
Join Date: Feb 2012
Question [Q] is it possible to change key functions?

I was wondering if there is a way to change key functions on note 3, for example: by pressing menu key we can see recent apps instead of menu
I would be thankful if anyone can suggest a solution to do this
It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity.
Albert Einstein
 
carnagecjb
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 34
Posts: 174
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Lexington, KY
Quote:
Originally Posted by arash2901 View Post
I was wondering if there is a way to change key functions on note 3, for example: by pressing menu key we can see recent apps instead of menu
I would be thankful if anyone can suggest a solution to do this
There are actually a couple different ways to do it...

You can used Xposed mod, with either Xposed Additions or MenuBeGone
(I've never used either of these methods...)

or, the way that I do it, manually edit the \system\usr\keylayout\Generic.kl file.
When I do it, I make the following two changes:
Change key 139 from MENU to BACK
Change key 158 from BACK to APP_SWITCH
Then I use button savior to add the menu for those things that need it...
(I'm coming from Nexus devices, so having the keys with back on the left, and app switch on the right is how I'm used to it...)
The Following User Says Thank You to carnagecjb For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Dejan Sathanas
Old
#3  
Dejan Sathanas's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 2,631
Posts: 1,279
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Hell
Ever wondered to use Google search ? Just saying.

Sent from my N9005
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7piTcDllnY
 
arash2901
Old
(Last edited by arash2901; 22nd April 2014 at 05:14 PM.)
#4  
arash2901's Avatar
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
Posts: 97
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnagecjb View Post
There are actually a couple different ways to do it...

You can used Xposed mod, with either Xposed Additions or MenuBeGone
(I've never used either of these methods...)

or, the way that I do it, manually edit the \system\usr\keylayout\Generic.kl file.
When I do it, I make the following two changes:
Change key 139 from MENU to BACK
Change key 158 from BACK to APP_SWITCH
Then I use button savior to add the menu for those things that need it...
(I'm coming from Nexus devices, so having the keys with back on the left, and app switch on the right is how I'm used to it...)
thanks
that's helpful (kind of!)
I was able to change function of key like starting camera by pressing menu key, but still don't know how to put recent app instead of menu?
--------------------------------------------
[problem solved,found it]
thanks a million man
big help
It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity.
Albert Einstein
 
carnagecjb
Old
#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 34
Posts: 174
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Lexington, KY
Quote:
Originally Posted by arash2901 View Post
thanks
that's helpful (kind of!)
I was able to change function of key like starting camera by pressing menu key, but still don't know how to put recent app instead of menu?
Quick and easy answer:
Change key 139 from MENU to APP_SWITCH

The Following User Says Thank You to carnagecjb For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes