Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,779,457 Members 51,577 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Change device resolution? (not DPI)

Tip us?

mr_pablo
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Question [Q] Change device resolution? (not DPI)

Not sure if this is the correct forum, so please move it if need be

I am looking to change the resolution of a tablet, but so it is persitent (I am currently in a position to change the firmware, so maybe a build prop setting or init.rc?)

I can change the resolution using "am display-size widthxheight" but this does not persist through a reboot.

Is there a way to set it at firmware level?

I have tried various DPI settings, but I know it must be a resolution change, as I need to be able ot set it specifically to 1280x720.

Not sure what the original resolution is, but changing the DPI lower or higher does not change the fact I cannot view a 1280x720 image, at 100%, without scrolling.

Might it be the case I need to make a system app to run the "am display-size" command on boot?

Trozzul
Old
Thanks Meter 193

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_pablo View Post
Not sure if this is the correct forum, so please move it if need be

I am looking to change the resolution of a tablet, but so it is persitent (I am currently in a position to change the firmware, so maybe a build prop setting or init.rc?)

I can change the resolution using "am display-size widthxheight" but this does not persist through a reboot.

Is there a way to set it at firmware level?

I have tried various DPI settings, but I know it must be a resolution change, as I need to be able ot set it specifically to 1280x720.

Not sure what the original resolution is, but changing the DPI lower or higher does not change the fact I cannot view a 1280x720 image, at 100%, without scrolling.

Might it be the case I need to make a system app to run the "am display-size" command on boot?
its not recommended to change your resolution, i have bricked my galaxy tab before and was luckily able to recover it. what device do you have? hopefully its a first party like samsung otherwise Chinese tablets you shouldn't mess with them, the chip-set is not open source so its easy to brick.
"Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: 'we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.'
"How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
"You must be,' said the Cat, 'or you wouldn't have come here."

Motorola Moto X
Stock KitKat 4.4.4 XT1060
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
Rom: Cyanogemod 11 (4.4.4) P5113

Asus Nexus 7
Stock (4.4.4) Broken Digitizer, any recommendations?
Both Stopped turning on for no reason
Nikon Coolpix s800c
Stock Gingerbread (2.3.3)

JEETU DAS
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Smile helped

this thread helped me alot