5,604,050 Members 46,127 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Frustrated, bricked - Hipstreet Titan-A

Tip us?
 
Jarod997
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 4
Join Date: Jan 2014
Unhappy [Q] Frustrated, bricked - Hipstreet Titan-A

Hi

I've looked around the XDA Forums, and on various other forums. I have a Hipstreet Titan, I tried to root using the Tasselhof's Root package, and it went reasonably well until I selected the option (#3) to copy over the build.prop file. After that I get the Android logo every boot-up. Factory wipe I guess wiped - I don't really have any way to verify. I pushed a different build.prop on, but that didn't seem to take (or make any difference). For some reason my adb shell (whateverother parms) doesn't work. It returns "- exec '/system/bin/sh' failed: No such file or directory (2) -". So I figure the OS has been toasted. (I didn't have this much trouble rooting my LG Eclypse. :P)

Now, I just need to find an original ROM, or some other slightly modded (rooted would be nice) ROM to get on to my device before I find out how far out my back door I can throw this thing. As this Hipstreet tablet is an off brand (really far off, but hey, I got it free), I haven't been able to find a ROM posted anywhere. Likely I just haven't looked in the right spot yet. Yes, I know, I should have backed up first - but I didn't. As soon as I get an OS working on this, I'll back it up - promise.

I've also tried "adb sideload system.img" using a system image file that comes with the Android ADT kit and the factory recovery mode. That appears to upload the file, reboot the device then report (on the windows terminal) "* failed to write data 'protocol fault (no status)' *". The device reboots into the recovery system screen.

So, if someone would be so kind as to point me to a rom file that will work on this device, it would be most appreciated.

PS this is the Titan rev A, when I got the device (second hand) the Google Play store functioned just fine. The person I got it from is not a techy, so I doubt they applied any root or update to it, so I'm guessing it came already set up.
 
Jarod997
Old
#2  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 4
Join Date: Jan 2014
Ok, let me rephrase simply.

Quote:
Can someone with a working Hipstreet Titan, rooted or not, please send me, or post a link to their ROM?
I know people have this device, and it's quite reasonable to assume that not all of them are bricked, therefore this request is technically feasible. Further, with a number of people posting about this device in technical forums, I know people with technical knowledge own this device.

I would really hate to throw out an otherwise perfectly good tablet.
 
beach9000
Old
#3  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 16
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarod997 View Post
I would really hate to throw out an otherwise perfectly good tablet.
Hi - did you ever resolve this issue?
 
Jarod997
Old
#4  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 4
Join Date: Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach9000 View Post
Hi - did you ever resolve this issue?
Not yet. I had given up for a while. Most of my internet searches kept coming back to the same few articles on this website.

I have a lead on someone who has another Titan, but they live seven hours away - it's been difficult coordinating a meeting.
 
es0tericcha0s
Old
#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 225
Posts: 1,399
Join Date: May 2010

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarod997 View Post
Hi

I've looked around the XDA Forums, and on various other forums. I have a Hipstreet Titan, I tried to root using the Tasselhof's Root package, and it went reasonably well until I selected the option (#3) to copy over the build.prop file. After that I get the Android logo every boot-up. Factory wipe I guess wiped - I don't really have any way to verify. I pushed a different build.prop on, but that didn't seem to take (or make any difference). For some reason my adb shell (whateverother parms) doesn't work. It returns "- exec '/system/bin/sh' failed: No such file or directory (2) -". So I figure the OS has been toasted. (I didn't have this much trouble rooting my LG Eclypse. :P)

Now, I just need to find an original ROM, or some other slightly modded (rooted would be nice) ROM to get on to my device before I find out how far out my back door I can throw this thing. As this Hipstreet tablet is an off brand (really far off, but hey, I got it free), I haven't been able to find a ROM posted anywhere. Likely I just haven't looked in the right spot yet. Yes, I know, I should have backed up first - but I didn't. As soon as I get an OS working on this, I'll back it up - promise.

I've also tried "adb sideload system.img" using a system image file that comes with the Android ADT kit and the factory recovery mode. That appears to upload the file, reboot the device then report (on the windows terminal) "* failed to write data 'protocol fault (no status)' *". The device reboots into the recovery system screen.

So, if someone would be so kind as to point me to a rom file that will work on this device, it would be most appreciated.

PS this is the Titan rev A, when I got the device (second hand) the Google Play store functioned just fine. The person I got it from is not a techy, so I doubt they applied any root or update to it, so I'm guessing it came already set up.
It looks like they made a few different versions of the tablet and it matters also about how much storage as to which firmware you should try. The person here: http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/...re-needed.html was able to load the firmware from another device that was similar. There were some major issues, but better to get it running first and sort that out later I guess. But his link has a bunch of other a13 tablet firmwares. If that is the same as yours, possibly one of them will be enough to boot up.
Need some help, advice, something fixed? Hit me up on Hangouts @ es0tericcha0s and check out my site: http://mobilemojo5280.com for more info!


HTC Droid Eris / Motorola Droid / Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate / Motorola Droid X / LG G2x / HTC Evo 3D (x2) / Samsung Epic 4G Touch (Sprint S2) / HTC Amaze / Samsung Galaxy S3 (International) / Samsung Galaxy Note 2 / Nexus 4 / HTC One / Sony Xperia ZL / Nexus 5 / ?
The Following User Says Thank You to es0tericcha0s For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Jarod997
Old
(Last edited by Jarod997; Today at 02:21 AM.)
#6  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 4
Join Date: Jan 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by es0tericcha0s View Post
It looks like they made a few different versions of the tablet and it matters also about how much storage as to which firmware you should try. The person here: (link manually removed) was able to load the firmware from another device that was similar. There were some major issues, but better to get it running first and sort that out later I guess. But his link has a bunch of other a13 tablet firmwares. If that is the same as yours, possibly one of them will be enough to boot up.
Thanks for the help! I'll have a look at some of those. I'd really like to have a tablet back that doesn't have a 3.5" screen.

So I managed to get LiveSuit 1.11 installed on Win 8-64, yes it IS doable. But, my problem is I can't get the tablet recognized. The Power+Vol boot takes it in to "recovery" mode, (so reports "adb devices") - does this keep it from being able to be used by LiveSuit?

"adb wait-for-device" hangs

In my Device Manager I have Android Device->Android ADB Interface, and Universal Serial Bus controllers->USB Device(VID_1f3a_PID_efe8) with a yellow exclamation.

I know I had "adb wait-for-device" passing fine at one point, but I don't remember what I had to do to get there. :P So much trouble for a free tablet.
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

Wearables Walkthrough: Tasker on the Samsung Galaxy Gear – XDA Developer TV

The future certainly looks like it is full of wearables. … more

WinDroid HTC Toolkit Lets You Root, Unlock, and Flash ROMs on Various HTC Devices

Plenty of users nowadays have more than one mobile device. … more

When Using GitHub, Don’t Skimp on Commit History

GitHub has become the epicenter of most open source development work that is posted … more

Verizon Droid DNA to Receive 4.4.2 KitKat + Sense 5.5 OTA This Thursday

The HTC Droid DNAis Verizon’s close cousin to the JapaneseHTC … more