Sony Updates AOSP Sources to Android 5.0.1

Just a few days ago, Sony did an utterly fantastic job by pushing out numerous device trees for … more

Stop Your Screen From Turning Off with KeepItOn

We all know the feeling of reading a news article orrather longdocument, when our screen … more

The XDA LG QPair Developer Challenge Voting Has Begun!

It seems like it was just yesterday that weannounced that we had paired up with LGto … more

Major Update for the Sony Smartwatch 2 Brings DND and More

With the wearables landscape now dominated by Android Wear and Pebble, its … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Just in case you're too scared to do it, I've done it for you.

OP mikeeey

21st April 2014, 01:15 AM   |  #11  
Senior Member
Flag Eastanollee Ga
Thanks Meter: 22
 
295 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2007
More
Yeah dunked my first one too, guess what, I'm on my second. ATT warrantied it as the volume up button went wonky, volume going up on it at all times without me pressing the button, then just quit working at all. Phone worked fine for two days, dunked in sink, volume quit. WON'T be dunking this one.
21st April 2014, 02:27 AM   |  #12  
mikeeey's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Everett, Washington
Thanks Meter: 16
 
1,227 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonrobertd

Yeah dunked my first one too, guess what, I'm on my second. ATT warrantied it as the volume up button went wonky, volume going up on it at all times without me pressing the button, then just quit working at all. Phone worked fine for two days, dunked in sink, volume quit. WON'T be dunking this one.

Wow sorry to hear that happened. Did you see any bubbles come out of the phone at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlb3

I have zero plans of dunking my phone, but I'm glad to see that it works as advertised. I've lost 2 phones to accidental water damage over the years, so it is a good piece of mind.

I actually don't plan to submerge mine anymore, I just wanted to do it at least once, and to get a sense of how waterproof it is in case I ever do have any accidents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidelio_o

I check out some porn while in the shower for you guys. You know for testing purposes, and it perform pretty well. No issues. Signal was a little wonky for a few minutes but it's back to normal now. So there's that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

lol, actually when I brought mine in the shower (though unlike you, not for porn), the water hitting the screen was acting as presses to the screen. Made it very difficult to use the phone.
21st April 2014, 02:57 AM   |  #13  
Senior Member
Flag Eastanollee Ga
Thanks Meter: 22
 
295 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2007
More
Nope it was in a case too, but I am almost positive water got it. Although I have changed my mind and will be dunking the second one tonight just because my 14 days are not up and I want to know if it is truely waterproof.
21st April 2014, 11:10 AM   |  #14  
davew41's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter: 49
 
92 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2011
Wash mine every day


samsung galaxy s5 water test: http://youtu.be/Z_nFVgeJU8U
21st April 2014, 03:08 PM   |  #15  
bailey37821's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 24
 
126 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpufrost

The mistake is where I posted MOHM. It should be MMOH.

Conductance is the reciprocal (opposite) of resistance. The unit of measure in resistance is the Ohm and conductance is measured in the Mho. Notice it's Ohm spelled backward? Most meters/standards use Siemens, named after Ernst Werner von Siemens and is expressed as S=Ohm^-1=A/V.

Purest water is an insulator at surprisingly high voltage but its purity doesn't last long with exposure to ambient environments. The Liquipel demos with phones running under water in trays are most certainly done with distilled or deionized water of very high quality. Try doing that with tap water which has a much higher conductance and see what happens. Sea water? Might as well put it out of its misery with a .357.

LOL, agreed. I'm not certain how that conflict stood out to him. It is indeed increased conductivity in your original statement context.
22nd April 2014, 09:42 AM   |  #16  
Member
Thanks Meter: 24
 
84 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey37821

LOL, agreed. I'm not certain how that conflict stood out to him. It is indeed increased conductivity in your original statement context.

DI Water has DECREASED conductivity. It has no electrolytes to conduct charge. It has HIGH resistance. Please refer back to your introductory chemistry class.

I don't think you understand what he was trying to explain. His original post said that high grade DI or distilled water has greater than 18 megohm conductance.

OHM is a unit of resistivity. So a greater amount of resistivity of water is desirable because that means there is an absence of electrolytes. If he meant conductance, it should have actually been a very low number, where less is more desireable. So what he said is in itself a completely conflicting statement unless you replace conductance with resistance in his statement.

Even with his correction of claiming to use the wrong units, DI water conductance would be in Micro Siemens which is much much much less than a mega Siemen. I assume it was a recall mistake and then a mis-correction of the original statement after he looked it up on Wikipedia.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Last edited by amsguitarist; 22nd April 2014 at 09:51 AM.
22nd April 2014, 06:53 PM   |  #17  
Senior Member
Flag Big Country
Thanks Meter: 101
 
413 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by amsguitarist

DI Water has DECREASED conductivity. It has no electrolytes to conduct charge. It has HIGH resistance. Please refer back to your introductory chemistry class.

I don't think you understand what he was trying to explain. His original post said that high grade DI or distilled water has greater than 18 megohm conductance.

OHM is a unit of resistivity. So a greater amount of resistivity of water is desirable because that means there is an absence of electrolytes. If he meant conductance, it should have actually been a very low number, where less is more desireable. So what he said is in itself a completely conflicting statement unless you replace conductance with resistance in his statement.

Even with his correction of claiming to use the wrong units, DI water conductance would be in Micro Siemens which is much much much less than a mega Siemen. I assume it was a recall mistake and then a mis-correction of the original statement after he looked it up on Wikipedia.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

ROFL.

Assume is right.
Of course it's been some 30 years since I've worked in the biz as an engineer.

In any case, at the trade shows ask them what kind of water they have the phone in. Bring a pocket conductance meter with you.

Guess what, they won't cooperate. I recall back in the 90s attending CLEO they did not appreciate nor cooperate with me and my tools. Just as a magician doesn't want someone showing the tricks...
22nd April 2014, 09:40 PM   |  #18  
bailey37821's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 24
 
126 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by amsguitarist

DI Water has DECREASED conductivity. It has no electrolytes to conduct charge. It has HIGH resistance. Please refer back to your introductory chemistry class.

I don't think you understand what he was trying to explain. His original post said that high grade DI or distilled water has greater than 18 megohm conductance.

OHM is a unit of resistivity. So a greater amount of resistivity of water is desirable because that means there is an absence of electrolytes. If he meant conductance, it should have actually been a very low number, where less is more desireable. So what he said is in itself a completely conflicting statement unless you replace conductance with resistance in his statement.

Even with his correction of claiming to use the wrong units, DI water conductance would be in Micro Siemens which is much much much less than a mega Siemen. I assume it was a recall mistake and then a mis-correction of the original statement after he looked it up on Wikipedia.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Was commenting on conductivity as related to the statement on salt water. So evidently I did read the original statement wrong. I assumed he was pointing out the fact that salt water or other impurities in tap water would be conductive. I'll go back and read it again.

---------- Post added at 03:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:24 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey37821

Was commenting on conductivity as related to the statement on salt water. So evidently I did read the original statement wrong. I assumed he was pointing out the fact that salt water or other impurities in tap water would be conductive. I'll go back and read it again.

Yep. I see it now. Just a misunderstanding. I was agreeing with the 1st part of the statement and misread the argument to the DI water part of it. I still agree with the statements idea as a whole.
22nd April 2014, 10:15 PM   |  #19  
Member
Thanks Meter: 24
 
84 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey37821

Was commenting on conductivity as related to the statement on salt water. So evidently I did read the original statement wrong. I assumed he was pointing out the fact that salt water or other impurities in tap water would be conductive. I'll go back and read it again.

---------- Post added at 03:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:24 PM ----------



Yep. I see it now. Just a misunderstanding. I was agreeing with the 1st part of the statement and misread the argument to the DI water part of it. I still agree with the statements idea as a whole.

Yes. The overall statements are correct. Sorry. Didn't mean to be too condescending but I work with chemicals everyday and it's extremely irritating to see misinformation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
22nd April 2014, 10:45 PM   |  #20  
bailey37821's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 24
 
126 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by amsguitarist

Yes. The overall statements are correct. Sorry. Didn't mean to be too condescending but I work with chemicals everyday and it's extremely irritating to see misinformation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

No prob for me. I guess I read it quick and just took in the overall "flavor" of the statement. I did not catch your argument as being specifically for DI water. I do a lot of work with pulling Hydrogen by electrolysis out of water and so knew exactly what he was getting at. I skip over the verbage a lot...like talking about drawing a line in the sand and saying this side is conductive and the other is resistive. Its really all just a measure of conductivity.
Hot and cold; Is it cold or do we actually measure the lack of heat? LOL

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes