Android TV Launcher Pushed to Google Play

Over the past decade, the tech universe has seen two drastic and widely contrasting changes with … more

Cyngn, OnePlus, Micromax – The Legal Battle

Recently, a battle has been waging in India over the rights to distribute the commercial … more

Lean Mean Battery Power Saving App Review

We talk a lot about battery topics here at XDA TV. We talk about everything from Power Banks to USB … more

Android 5.1 Possibly Coming February 2015

Google released Android 5.0 just over a month ago, and since then Lollipop has been trying to … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

S5 update coming to AT&T variant?

OP quordandis

22nd April 2014, 04:20 PM   |  #11  
Recognized Developer
Flag Waite Park, MN.
Thanks Meter: 3,582

2,308 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOA Duck

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2721505

I know the qualcomm guys look. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

the sad thing is all those files and scripts wouldn't have provided us any solution to root or unlocking the boot loader, those were qualcomm scripts and files but only for signing the mbr/mbl nothing unfortunatley to do with unlocking it or rooting the device in any manor, the certs may have been helpfull in tricking odin in to believing a custom rom was official is the only thing that i could actually see coming out of that.

and I was a little leary of the member in the first place, he offered no tangible proof that the scripts did anything all he did was list a directory of files, and when he was asked to provide proof that he actually rooted or unlocked a bootloader he refused to respond.
22nd April 2014, 05:20 PM   |  #12  
Flag Dallas
Thanks Meter: 22

386 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by delawaredrew

I'm sure that engineers look at XDA and other developer/user forums out of interest or even as part of the job; but unless something directly affects Samsung or AT&T in a manner that is costing them a significant amount of money I doubt any action is made in response. Remember these are corporations, money/time is not spent chasing a relatively few users who choose modify their phones, even if it is to evade fees and/or modify a locked feature. It just doesn't make a large financial difference.

Apple certainly pursued a cease and desist strategy but I think that was mostly out of a control freak corporate culture. Other than tethering for free,what do rooting and custom ROMs actually cost AT&T or Samsung? We still buy their phones loyally and pay for the service. If it mattered enough they would take greater steps to lock stuff down, or routinely push updates to secure their devices when exploits are found.

Just my take on it - I'm a pretty paranoid dude but not in this regard. We just don't matter much to them.

One thought. Samsung and Apple are both making big enterprise plays. My company in it's BYOD program is pushing Samsung hard over other Android phones because they are more locked down with corporate policies mandating encryption and forbidding rooting/jailbreaking coming soon to my employer, I can see how a locked down phone is more attractive to them and could lead to more sales, not yet.
We're not their only market, and in the grand scheme of things, there may be more money for them going this path.
22nd April 2014, 06:58 PM   |  #13  
Flag south fl
Thanks Meter: 58

310 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoobie-doo

One thought. Samsung and Apple are both making big enterprise plays. My company in it's BYOD program is pushing Samsung hard over other Android phones because they are more locked down with corporate policies mandating encryption and forbidding rooting/jailbreaking coming soon to my employer, I can see how a locked down phone is more attractive to them and could lead to more sales, not yet.
We're not their only market, and in the grand scheme of things, there may be more money for them going this path.

What they should be doing is making business/gov contracted phone deals locked down, and leaving the consumer phones as is, that's what they should be doing. Honestly TW is pretty good now and wouldn't bother me if I couldn't flash a rom (obviously I want to), however not having root and not being able to actually delete (not just disable) bloatware is f'n annoying lol.
23rd April 2014, 02:32 AM   |  #14  
Thanks Meter: 8

26 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOA Duck

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2721505

I know the qualcomm guys look. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Huh thats interesting. I had argued it was worthless since QC hadn't sent a takedown. May have to take another look.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread