Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,054 Members 46,040 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Advice on flashing AOSP Rom

Tip us?

Kinotsu
Old
(Last edited by Kinotsu; 23rd April 2014 at 06:48 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Default [Q] Advice on flashing AOSP Rom

Hi, its been almost a year since I flashed a ROM on my device, I'm currently on a Sense 5 ROM, ViperXL 4.2.0 to be exact, and its worked perfect and great and I saw no reason to switch to anything else. After a year though my phones been getting kinda laggy, and I mysteriously have very little Internal Storage, even after deleting almost every single app, I only get about 500mb to 800mb of free Internal Storage to install apps. So I'm looking to try flashing a new rom and starting fresh but I have forgotten alot of my knowledge on flashing and was seeking some help.

I want to try flashing the latest stable Cyanogenmod Build 10.2.1

I have a few questions before I do though,

1. Is it still necessary to downgrade the touchpanel firmware?
2. What version of TWRP do I need? I'm currently on v2.3.3.0 but after doing research, I found out there's new versions. Do I need 2.6.3.0 or 2.7.0.0?
3. Do I need to RUU or am I already good to go?
4. Can I flash the 4.4 Gapps or do I need to flash another version?

Here is my bootloader info:
*** TAMPERED ***
*** UNLOCKED ***
EVITA PVT SHIP S-OFF RL
CID - 11111111
HBOOT - 2,15.0000
RADIO - 1.31a.32.45.16_2
OpenDSP - v33.1.0.45.1128
eMMC - boot
Aug 14 2013, 16:02:22:-1

timmaaa
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 6,298

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinotsu View Post
Hi, its been almost a year since I flashed a ROM on my device, I'm currently on a Sense 5 ROM, ViperXL 4.2.0 to be exact, and its worked perfect and great and I saw no reason to switch to anything else. After a year though my phones been getting kinda laggy, and I mysteriously have very little Internal Storage, even after deleting almost every single app, I only get about 500mb to 800mb of free Internal Storage to install apps. So I'm looking to try flashing a new rom and starting fresh but I have forgotten alot of my knowledge on flashing and was seeking some help.

I want to try flashing the latest stable Cyanogenmod Build 10.2.1

I have a few questions before I do though,

1. Is it still necessary to downgrade the touchpanel firmware?
2. What version of TWRP do I need? I'm currently on v2.3.3.0 but after doing research, I found out there's new versions. Do I need 2.6.3.0 or 2.7.0.0?
3. Do I need to RUU or am I already good to go?
4. Can I flash the 4.4 Gapps or do I need to flash another version?

Here is my bootloader info:
*** TAMPERED ***
*** UNLOCKED ***
EVITA PVT SHIP S-OFF RL
CID - 11111111
HBOOT - 2,15.0000
RADIO - 1.31a.32.45.16_2
OpenDSP - v33.1.0.45.1128
eMMC - boot
Aug 14 2013, 16:02:22:-1
1) You don't need to downgrade your ts firmware.
2) You can use either of those versions you mentioned, some people have had issues with 2.7 not being able to mount the sd card though.
3) No need to RUU, your current firmware is fine.
4) You need to flash the appropriate gapps for whatever Android version the ROM is, you would only flash the 4.4 gapps if you're flashing a 4.4 ROM.

Is there any reason you're not flashing a KitKat ROM though? Support has ended for the lower Android versions now.

Sent from my Evita
OnePlus One | crDroid/AK | TWRP 2.7.1.1

Do not PM me asking for assistance, that's what my Q&A thread is for!
The Following User Says Thank You to timmaaa For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Kinotsu
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Thank you! The only reason I don't want to use a Kitkat rom is because of stability, most I have seen are in beta or have known problems, I'm planning on using this as my daily driver and don't want to come across any issues.

timmaaa
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 6,298

DONATE TO ME
If you're looking for stability, I flashed CM11 and ran it for a day or two, the only reason I flashed something else was a lack of features. I had no issues in the time I ran it.

Sent from my Evita
OnePlus One | crDroid/AK | TWRP 2.7.1.1

Do not PM me asking for assistance, that's what my Q&A thread is for!
The Following User Says Thank You to timmaaa For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]