[IDEA] Possible KNOX solution: Hardware Level

OP Aslan01

23rd April 2014, 09:30 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
More
I am no expert but I used to read a lot into resetting/unlocking low-level BIOS passwords/locks/trackers on high security enterprise laptops.
The method was to replace, jump or flash EEPROM chips on the motherboard, sometimes using wires soldered onto specific pins with a flashing device/computer on the other end.
The hardest ones required specific software (probably leaked from the manufacturer) for flashing a modified BIOS binary file to reset locks, or replacing EEPROM chips that matched the unique ID of the rest of the hardware.

If Samsung implements KNOX by using/modifying the hardware on the phones, then a similar hardware level solution might exist.

There's a good chance I am wrong, since the older phones that didn't have Knox got Knox using a software update, but in either case, I think it's going to require a leak from a Samsung insider.
Even then, there's a strong chance Samsung will release an update to disable the leak since the purpose of Knox seems to be to reduce warranty claims and the enterprise customers are just an excuse.

Ultimately, that's bye bye to Samsung for taking this route unless they ALLOW a solution.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hate to reply to myself but for anyone passing by:
I've realised after reading the Galaxy Note 3 forums, it turns out that Knox IS actually implemented and tripped by hardware, the Qualcomm CPU in particular which has eFuses (that Qualcomm call qFuses) that burn out irreversibly when they are tripped. So resetting the counter is pretty much impossible.

This thread is where the main Knox action is going on in the Note 3 Forums, where a bounty is offered to anyone who can find a solution:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2486346

It seems so far that a method to flash recoveries/kernels/roms without tripping the Knox counter is the best possible option.
Last edited by Aslan01; 23rd April 2014 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Update
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread