Originally Posted by Jahrern
1. According to Quadrant i have a CPU Frequency of 1512MHz, so by definition that should make it a S4
2. For recovery, im almost 100 percent sure its SuperSU, and heres the details from my bootloader:
VLE PVT SHIP S-ON RL
Mar 15 2012.23:37;23
And yes i used HTC Dev website to unlock it. got some sort of key and everything.
3. The recovery i use atm is CWM 220.127.116.11 the none touch version. Tried the touch version a few times, but it doesnt seem to work for me.
4. For ROM as i mentioned i really like AOSP, and can't really see myself going for a Sense ROM unless there's something really awesome out there. Ive used CM 9 and 10, AOKP, ParanoidAndroid and one of those Pac-man ROMs before, and they have all been decent. But now i want something newer. Preferably something over 4.1.2 as ive had that for probably a year now, and i need SOMETHING new. I dont particularly want anything that isn't as complete as possible. The ROM im rocking now reboots my phone ATLEAST 1-2 times a day, and have some minor Wi-Fi issues. (not really that bad anymore after buying an expensive new ASUS Router)
So those are like my only things when it comes to ROMs. Doesnt need to be as flashy as coming with a completly themed interface and that sorts
OK, I got more info now, maybe some others will step in and give you their opinions and advices. What I can tell
1. SuperSU is not a recovery (you already said you're using CWM)...it's the root program.
2. You have hboot 1.06 the same I had on my device some time ago (not too long ago). It has some advantages and some disadvantages. I'll try to be brief and prsent you all and you can decide what you wanna do.
First some background: S-Of basically means you are able to write to certain partitions on your device, partitions that are normally locked. Most important are the firmware/hboot partition, radio partition and kernel partition. If you are S-On, you cannot write/flash radio or firmware and you MUST flash any kernel via a separate command in fastboot.
Now what makes 1.06 hboot so special...it is behaving like a partial S-Off device even if you are not S-Off. What does this mean? You will be able to flash radios and kernels as any other S-Off user. Only thing you won't be able to flash is the firmware/hboot. On the other hand, all new ROMs require hboot 2.13/2.15 or the leaked 2.16. That means that IF your current hboot allows you to run such a ROM, you won't be able to flash it unless you're editting EVERY TIME the updater-script in the ROM ZIP you're flashing to bypass the hboot check. So things will become little bit complicated.
To avoid all these you should first S-Off then you should upgrade to hboot 2.15. This is the last official firmware and it is supported by all new KitKat ROMs. DO NOT flash 2.16 firmware unless you would like to flash and use Sense based ROMs like MaximusHD.
I made S-Off by using Rummrunner because I found it the simplest way to do it...it's like a one-press-S-Off. If that doesn't work for you, you can try other methods like Facepalm or Moonshine. You can find separate threads for each in Dev section and I'll also link them below
After you made S-Off, next step will be to upgrade your hboot/firmware to 2.15. You can use the flashable ZIP from THIS
thread and you'll find info on how to do it in the thread. I would suggest you to choose the Unbranded 2.15 hboot and that has also the red warning gone (the one you see when start up the device with "This device is for development purposes only...bla bla bla")
For all the above you might also want to check/try a tool that incorporates most of them. You can find it in THIS
Now that you have S-Off and upgraded your hboot, you might want to flash a newer radio. Hint:If you're satisfied with your current signal strength, mobile data and so on, don't flash another radio. Even if in a ROM thread it is recommended or mandatory a certain radio, my advice is to first try the ROM with your current one and only if performance is not satisfactory, flash another radio.You can find radios in tecardo's thread HERE
or if you want the newer radios you can find radio 1.20 HERE
or 1.35a HERE
. One more note regarding tecardo's thread with the radio collection...that thread is old and some info is not updated. Just remember that you must flash ONLY the V6 Sense Radio installer for any ROM you'll be using, being it sense based or AOSP. Also ignore that warning that the procedure is only for hboots below 1.3...at that time there was no S-Off (remember what I've said about the particularities of 1.06 hboot earlier). Now things are different, you're S-Off so you will just need to flash it
Before flashing, you might consider upgrading to a newer recovery. I would recommend you the latest official TWRP 18.104.22.168 that will support flashing anything made for hboot 2.15. If and only if you decide to try sense ROMs based on hboot 2.16, you'll need a different recovery specific for 2.16 and that you'll get from that specific ROM thread. Official TWRP downloads for Ville S4 are HERE
Now youre almost done. You just need to pick your ROM and flash it...pretty difficult task considering how many they are. I tested most of AOSP ones and also some Sense based ones (not the ones for hboot 2.16 tho). I don't want to advice too much here since it could be considered I favour one or another...the truth is I do
and that's normal, but I'd like to be objective
First, all KitKat ROMs are pretty stable. On CM11 there are regular nightlies and there are also less stable or bugged builds but this is expected. So you might try several ROMs to see which suits you most and you can decide by reading each ROM's thread. I'll list some ROMs (not all), the ones that are updated most often and I've tested, in no particular order...in fact I'll list them alphabetically to avoid interpretations
Viper ROM 3.1.3
Sorry for the long post but I wanted to get most in a single place and if you'll have more questions we'll detail them later. Just try something... READ READ READ...each thread contains valuable info about each procedure and step and also the experience of the users. I know it is easier to ask but don't forget it's YOUR PHONE and YOUR INTEREST to see things working on it. So you should make some effort to read and search also