Nook HD+ - Not charging Not Powering On

Search This thread

sibot

Jan 5, 2009
Hi,

I seem to have a peculiar problem with my brother's Nook HD+. When I plug it into the wall charger, the device shows a green light, which turns orange and the Nook powers on to show the Nook logo, but all of a sudden it switches off and the light disappears too.

I have tried holding down the power button while the device is plugged in, holding the n and power button down, using another charger, but nothing seems to work.

How can I troubleshoot this?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Sibot

extrem0

Feb 7, 2012
Let it in charge for 1 hour. (orange light) then remove it. Wait like 10 minutes and try to turn it on. Press the power button for 10 seconds. Repeatedly

digixmax

Jan 17, 2011
I'd suggest leave it plugged in and charged with the BN wall-charger for 4-6 hours.

sibot

Jan 5, 2009
Let it in charge for 1 hour. (orange light) then remove it. Wait like 10 minutes and try to turn it on. Press the power button for 10 seconds. Repeatedly
The device is not charging, the orange light does not glow.

Here is what happens after plugging it into the charger - the light turns green for 2 seconds, then orange, the screen comes alive with the nook logo and then all of a sudden, the screen wipes out blank and the charging light also switches off.

I've tried to put it on charge the whole night, tried to turn on the device, hard reset - nothing worked.

boomboxcity

Feb 16, 2010
Had a very similar issue with mine when I first got it. Turned out it was my USB cable, I called Barnes and Noble and they sent me a free replacement.

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using Tapatalk 4

sibot

Jan 5, 2009
Had a very similar issue with mine when I first got it. Turned out it was my USB cable, I called Barnes and Noble and they sent me a free replacement.

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using Tapatalk 4

I've tried using two different USB cables. The other one is from my other Nook HD+, both the cables seem to be working fine on the other Nook.

mathedrivein

Nov 10, 2010
I have the exact same issue with my nook right now. It has cm 10.1 installed. But my screen isn't even flashing on at all. It just charges green for 2 seconds, charges orange for 2 seconds, then goes black. Won't turn on. I've had it charges for like 2 days with no luck. Have you figured out what was wrong with your nook yet? I'm going to get a new cord this weekend I guess. Can't think of anything else to try.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

ifearnogod

Jan 12, 2011
I had the same issue of not powering up. Plug it in get the green ,then yellow, then nothing. tried everything. Well almost everything. My last effort got it going. plugged it into a PC at that point it went green , then yellow, but this time stayed on yellow after about 40 minutes it booted.. I was elated.Hope this helps:laugh:

mathedrivein

Nov 10, 2010
I had the same issue of not powering up. Plug it in get the green ,then yellow, then nothing. tried everything. Well almost everything. My last effort got it going. plugged it into a PC at that point it went green , then yellow, but this time stayed on yellow after about 40 minutes it booted.. I was elated.Hope this helps:laugh:

Thanks! Went to a B&N today and got a new cord. Plugged my nook into the charger at their display booth and it showed the charging screen and the LED stayed orange. I was stoked, so I assumed the cord was broken and I bought a new one. Tried it at home, and same #%^#ing problem: green for 2 seconds, orange for 2 seconds, and then off. No screen boot up or battery charging display. Last resort, plugged it into my computer, and it is keeping the orange LED on (yay), but still hasn't booted. It's been a couple of hours, so hopefully it boots here soon. I'm gonna keep it charging with my computer overnight and see if that fixes the problem. Then (if it ever boots), I'm going to put a new OS on the thing so hopefully I don't have to fuss around with the issue anymore. Thanks Ifearnogod. I also fearnogod.

dougiegillam

Nov 8, 2013
NOOK HD Plus no charge/or power on

Thanks! Went to a B&N today and got a new cord. Plugged my nook into the charger at their display booth and it showed the charging screen and the LED stayed orange. I was stoked, so I assumed the cord was broken and I bought a new one. Tried it at home, and same #%^#ing problem: green for 2 seconds, orange for 2 seconds, and then off. No screen boot up or battery charging display. Last resort, plugged it into my computer, and it is keeping the orange LED on (yay), but still hasn't booted. It's been a couple of hours, so hopefully it boots here soon. I'm gonna keep it charging with my computer overnight and see if that fixes the problem. Then (if it ever boots), I'm going to put a new OS on the thing so hopefully I don't have to fuss around with the issue anymore. Thanks Ifearnogod. I also fearnogod.

Had the same problem with the Grandson's, pressed and held numerous button combinations no luck so sent it back to argos for a complete swap out replacement. Guess what after a couple of days the replacement unit did the same thing. Now i'm tearing my hair out after looking through various forums with no answer i tried the daughters Galaxy note charger and bingo it worked, it appears that the original charger supplied with the nook HD plus is not powerful enough to do the job from a completely discharged state. I've told him not to allow it to go completely discharged and we haven't had a problem since with the nook supplied charger.

NMGxda

Feb 26, 2012
I have the same prob

I have the same problem, but with my Nook HD (not HD+). I used a different adapter at one point because I lost my Nook adapter. This may have caused the problem for me.

doctor_evil

Dec 6, 2010
Gainesville GA
I've got a Nook HD that's acting like this, if I plug it into my computer or into the original charger it blinks green orange green orange, but never powers on. I've held the power button until it starts flashing orange only but it never charges it. When it's connected to the PC it keeps popping up a usb device failed to install prompt so I am thinking that this means the cable is working. I bought a replacement battery to put in it. Hoping that fixes the issue.

I did try it with another usb charger and it changed it's behavior slightly. It would flash green orange then show the N logo then shut off. If I left it on this usb charging adapter it still never would charge it up.

That is why I'm suspecting that it's a bad battery.

I'll get another charging cable next if that doesn't work.

D

Deleted member 2092952

I've got a Nook HD that's acting like this, if I plug it into my computer or into the original charger it blinks green orange green orange, but never powers on. I've held the power button until it starts flashing orange only but it never charges it. When it's connected to the PC it keeps popping up a usb device failed to install prompt so I am thinking that this means the cable is working. I bought a replacement battery to put in it. Hoping that fixes the issue.

I did try it with another usb charger and it changed it's behavior slightly. It would flash green orange then show the N logo then shut off. If I left it on this usb charging adapter it still never would charge it up.

That is why I'm suspecting that it's a bad battery.

I'll get another charging cable next if that doesn't work.

I would go with testing a new cable / wall plug before anything else - but then for the price I would probably just jump on it then chuck it before spending money on a proprietary cable for an aging device.

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
I would go with testing a new cable / wall plug before anything else - but then for the price I would probably just jump on it then chuck it before spending money on a proprietary cable for an aging device.
Aging device? I would try to get a new cable/charger under warranty. Stores will do that if you can show the old one defective.

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using XDA Premium HD app

D

Deleted member 2092952

Aging device? I would try to get a new cable/charger under warranty. Stores will do that if you can show the old one defective.

Its aging to me. Its been out for a long time now. I would go with something newer [then spend money on it] - but that's subjective - so I'm not getting into any debate here.

So they do that with just the cable - that's cool stuff.

lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

doctor_evil

Dec 6, 2010
Gainesville GA
yeah the battery didn't fix the issue. It's still not charging, if I connect the charging cable and adapter while it is turned off it turns it on, flashes green orange a couple of times then goes solid green. It boots up but I'm running on the remaining charge in the replacement battery I put in. visual inspection of the charging jack on the nook HD doesn't show any issues, visual inspection of the cable also doesn't show any issues. I'm going to take it to the closest barnes and noble and hope that they are willing to give me a new charging cable today. I guess we will see. Hopefully a new charging cord will fix the issue.

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
yeah the battery didn't fix the issue. It's still not charging, if I connect the charging cable and adapter while it is turned off it turns it on, flashes green orange a couple of times then goes solid green. It boots up but I'm running on the remaining charge in the replacement battery I put in. visual inspection of the charging jack on the nook HD doesn't show any issues, visual inspection of the cable also doesn't show any issues. I'm going to take it to the closest barnes and noble and hope that they are willing to give me a new charging cable today. I guess we will see. Hopefully a new charging cord will fix the issue.
Make sure you still have stock on it if taking the device to the store. Alternate ROMs void the warranty. Maybe you can just take your charger and cable along with your serial number if the device is not stock. They can test to see if it charges their devices.

slimbean14

Mar 1, 2014
great...

my nook HD have booted on. when i plug it in a DELL's laptop. the light was green -> orange -> and still orange, after few minutes it boot on and install 148update :laugh::good::laugh::good::laugh::good:

Last edited:

modelworks

Feb 16, 2014
The battery not charging and tablet appearing dead other than the led is a common problem with tablets, not just the nook.
In the tablet they use a chip that has a controller integrated to charge lithium ion batteries. The controller has limits that have to fall into a preset range or the controller will not allow charging. If the battery voltage is low enough , the controller will experience a spike in current when the power is connected, that will trigger an excessive current limit in the controller which blocks it from charging the battery. The cycle repeats over and over and it will not charge because it is never on long enough to get the battery voltage higher.

The fix is easy on most tablets including the nook. You have to open up the case , will void warranty, unplug the internal battery and then connect that battery to an external charger for about 20 minutes to get the battery voltage up high enough to stop the over limit from occurring. I have about 6 tablets of various models that wouldn't turn on or charge and all were fixed and working great by doing the above. Actually a way to get tablets cheap if you see some with the same symptoms.

On the nook the wires you need to connect to charge on the battery are any red for + and any black for - . There are I think 3 red and 3 black bunched together on the connector, any one will work. After charging re-attach the battery and it should boot right up. Just be careful about letting the nook get below about 10% charge.

The charger you use can be just about any standard charger that can charge 7 volt lithium cells, the nook has them wired in series , 2 batteries x 3.7 ~ 7.4V.
A good cheap one that takes out having to worry about charger settings is :
TLP-2000-Tenergy-Universal-Charger-3-7V-14-8V

navytron

Oct 30, 2010
:(

Here's my story:

Rooted, running CM11 no problems. Read some comics, decided to download and try out Dragon Age from the play store. I had ~35% battery remaining (hard to tell exactly, circular battery mod). After the game downloaded from the store, I opened the app and it began to download the larger files the game requires. I sat the Nook down while it was downloading and eventually the screen turned off/timed out. I tapped the power button to see where the download was and it would not turn on.

So, as of now, pushing the buttons in any combination for any amount of time does nothing. Plugging the tablet into the wall gives me a green light only (never orange). Holding the power button (and any button in combo) for ~10 seconds kills the green light. Pressing the button again lights the green light. I've left the tablet on the charger for over eight hours, two different times now, no change.

Plugging the tablet into the PC acts the same as above, however the PC also repeatedly gives USB device connect/disconnect warnings (sounds) for a bit.

WTF, any advice?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The battery not charging and tablet appearing dead other than the led is a common problem with tablets, not just the nook.
    In the tablet they use a chip that has a controller integrated to charge lithium ion batteries. The controller has limits that have to fall into a preset range or the controller will not allow charging. If the battery voltage is low enough , the controller will experience a spike in current when the power is connected, that will trigger an excessive current limit in the controller which blocks it from charging the battery. The cycle repeats over and over and it will not charge because it is never on long enough to get the battery voltage higher.

The fix is easy on most tablets including the nook. You have to open up the case , will void warranty, unplug the internal battery and then connect that battery to an external charger for about 20 minutes to get the battery voltage up high enough to stop the over limit from occurring. I have about 6 tablets of various models that wouldn't turn on or charge and all were fixed and working great by doing the above. Actually a way to get tablets cheap if you see some with the same symptoms.

On the nook the wires you need to connect to charge on the battery are any red for + and any black for - . There are I think 3 red and 3 black bunched together on the connector, any one will work. After charging re-attach the battery and it should boot right up. Just be careful about letting the nook get below about 10% charge.

The charger you use can be just about any standard charger that can charge 7 volt lithium cells, the nook has them wired in series , 2 batteries x 3.7 ~ 7.4V.
    A good cheap one that takes out having to worry about charger settings is :
    TLP-2000-Tenergy-Universal-Charger-3-7V-14-8V
    D
    Deleted member 2092952
    Here's my story:

Rooted, running CM11 no problems. Read some comics, decided to download and try out Dragon Age from the play store. I had ~35% battery remaining (hard to tell exactly, circular battery mod). After the game downloaded from the store, I opened the app and it began to download the larger files the game requires. I sat the Nook down while it was downloading and eventually the screen turned off/timed out. I tapped the power button to see where the download was and it would not turn on.

So, as of now, pushing the buttons in any combination for any amount of time does nothing. Plugging the tablet into the wall gives me a green light only (never orange). Holding the power button (and any button in combo) for ~10 seconds kills the green light. Pressing the button again lights the green light. I've left the tablet on the charger for over eight hours, two different times now, no change.

Plugging the tablet into the PC acts the same as above, however the PC also repeatedly gives USB device connect/disconnect warnings (sounds) for a bit.

WTF, any advice?

Light will only be on when screen is on.

Light will initially be green at power off with power applied then turn to orange if needing charge.

The repeated usb connects/disconnects though makes it sound like a bad cable as that is one thing bad usb cables do or a loose cable at one or both sides. Suppose it could be rebooting as well. That still doesn't say why its not showing anything on the device.

Maybe these things get confused when coupled with bad power paths. Maybe its barely charging but since it was plugged in long enough to be fully charged it shows green fully charged when actually it doesn't even have enough charge to do anything. There could be variation based on how bad the path is.

Just a theory based on the posts as well as my experience with a bad/loose kindle cable which somewhat mirrors these posts. It had green light but not fully charged and repeated usb disconnects/connects.