Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,308 Members 48,817 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Already rooted, what to do with Kitkat update notification?

Tip us?
 
libertao
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Posts: 22
Join Date: Nov 2011
Default [Q] Already rooted, what to do with Kitkat update notification?

I am already rooted with xposed installed on Verizon and got the notification for the Kitkat OTA update -- which thread do I follow to safely take the OTA KitKat update? Thanks.
 
acejavelin
Old
#2  
acejavelin's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 432
Posts: 1,479
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bismarck, ND

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by libertao View Post
I am already rooted with xposed installed on Verizon and got the notification for the Kitkat OTA update -- which thread do I follow to safely take the OTA KitKat update? Thanks.
You can just try to take it as long as you have stock recovery installed (TWRP/CWM/PhilZ will cause a soft-brick situation), but depending on what Xposed modules you use and the changes made it could likely fail.

The safest and best way would be to factory restore the firmware via this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2448960, then take the OTA to 12B, followed by the OTA to 24A. The whole process is pretty painless, I did it going from an old CarbonROM build to the latest stock KitKat in about an hour and a half or so.
Current Personal Phone: Google Nexus 4 on Cricket/Aio (Beanstalk 4.4.4 with hells-Core Kernel)
Current Work Phone: LG G2 VS980 on VZW (Official Beanstalk)
Current Tablet: iPad 4 and Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2
Other phones "in the family": HTC DNA, HTC One (M7), Motorola Moto G GPE
Previous/Retired Android Devices: HTC Aria, HTC Incredible 2, HTC Rezound, Samsung Stratosphere, Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nextbook 8P
The Following User Says Thank You to acejavelin For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
mjones73
Old
#3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 766
Posts: 2,762
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: North East, MD

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejavelin View Post
You can just try to take it as long as you have stock recovery installed (TWRP/CWM/PhilZ will cause a soft-brick situation), but depending on what Xposed modules you use and the changes made it could likely fail.

The safest and best way would be to factory restore the firmware via this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2448960, then take the OTA to 12B, followed by the OTA to 24A. The whole process is pretty painless, I did it going from an old CarbonROM build to the latest stock KitKat in about an hour and a half or so.
To add, you can re-root with ioroot25 and if you need a recovery for any reason, use AutoRec to install the latest TWRP. You need to jump through a few hoops to install recovery on KK and it does them for you. If you plan on staying on the stock rom, I would leave the stock recovery.
Matt
LG G2 - VS980 - XDABBEB's VS980 v2.0.0
HTC Rezound - S-Off - Retired
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mjones73 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
acejavelin
Old
#4  
acejavelin's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 432
Posts: 1,479
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bismarck, ND

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones73 View Post
To add, you can re-root with ioroot25 and if you need a recovery for any reason, use AutoRec to install the latest TWRP. You need to jump through a few hoops to install recovery on KK and it does them for you. If you plan on staying on the stock rom, I would leave the stock recovery.
In my opinion, ioroot25 only does a partial root, there is BusyBox installed with SuperSU... I would also recommend doing a manual BusyBox install (Play Store has several free installers) for a "full" root install.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Current Personal Phone: Google Nexus 4 on Cricket/Aio (Beanstalk 4.4.4 with hells-Core Kernel)
Current Work Phone: LG G2 VS980 on VZW (Official Beanstalk)
Current Tablet: iPad 4 and Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2
Other phones "in the family": HTC DNA, HTC One (M7), Motorola Moto G GPE
Previous/Retired Android Devices: HTC Aria, HTC Incredible 2, HTC Rezound, Samsung Stratosphere, Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nextbook 8P
The Following User Says Thank You to acejavelin For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
mjones73
Old
#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 766
Posts: 2,762
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: North East, MD

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejavelin View Post
In my opinion, ioroot25 only does a partial root, there is BusyBox installed with SuperSU... I would also recommend doing a manual BusyBox install (Play Store has several free installers) for a "full" root install.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
I forgot about that, I just used the app store BusyBox installer and it worked great.
Matt
LG G2 - VS980 - XDABBEB's VS980 v2.0.0
HTC Rezound - S-Off - Retired
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mjones73 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes