Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Already rooted, what to do with Kitkat update notification?

OP libertao

23rd April 2014, 02:06 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 10

22 posts
I am already rooted with xposed installed on Verizon and got the notification for the Kitkat OTA update -- which thread do I follow to safely take the OTA KitKat update? Thanks.
23rd April 2014, 04:47 PM   |  #2  
Flag Bismarck, ND
Thanks Meter: 540

1,793 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by libertao

I am already rooted with xposed installed on Verizon and got the notification for the Kitkat OTA update -- which thread do I follow to safely take the OTA KitKat update? Thanks.

You can just try to take it as long as you have stock recovery installed (TWRP/CWM/PhilZ will cause a soft-brick situation), but depending on what Xposed modules you use and the changes made it could likely fail.

The safest and best way would be to factory restore the firmware via this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2448960, then take the OTA to 12B, followed by the OTA to 24A. The whole process is pretty painless, I did it going from an old CarbonROM build to the latest stock KitKat in about an hour and a half or so.
The Following User Says Thank You to acejavelin For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd April 2014, 04:57 PM   |  #3  
Flag North East, MD
Thanks Meter: 807

2,978 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejavelin

You can just try to take it as long as you have stock recovery installed (TWRP/CWM/PhilZ will cause a soft-brick situation), but depending on what Xposed modules you use and the changes made it could likely fail.

The safest and best way would be to factory restore the firmware via this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2448960, then take the OTA to 12B, followed by the OTA to 24A. The whole process is pretty painless, I did it going from an old CarbonROM build to the latest stock KitKat in about an hour and a half or so.

To add, you can re-root with ioroot25 and if you need a recovery for any reason, use AutoRec to install the latest TWRP. You need to jump through a few hoops to install recovery on KK and it does them for you. If you plan on staying on the stock rom, I would leave the stock recovery.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mjones73 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd April 2014, 05:13 PM   |  #4  
Flag Bismarck, ND
Thanks Meter: 540

1,793 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones73

To add, you can re-root with ioroot25 and if you need a recovery for any reason, use AutoRec to install the latest TWRP. You need to jump through a few hoops to install recovery on KK and it does them for you. If you plan on staying on the stock rom, I would leave the stock recovery.

In my opinion, ioroot25 only does a partial root, there is BusyBox installed with SuperSU... I would also recommend doing a manual BusyBox install (Play Store has several free installers) for a "full" root install.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to acejavelin For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd April 2014, 05:42 PM   |  #5  
Flag North East, MD
Thanks Meter: 807

2,978 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejavelin

In my opinion, ioroot25 only does a partial root, there is BusyBox installed with SuperSU... I would also recommend doing a manual BusyBox install (Play Store has several free installers) for a "full" root install.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I forgot about that, I just used the app store BusyBox installer and it worked great.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mjones73 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread