FORUMS

XDA Picks: Best Apps of the Week (Apr 17 – 24)

Apps are at the front and center of any smartphone experience, and with over a … more

Glimpse Notifications: Easier Lockscreen Notifications

Lollipop brought a revamp to the lockscreen, taking away custom widgets but … more

What Are the Best Looking Apps on Android?

As more developers are updating their apps with Material Design elements, we’re … more

Cyngn Explained: Who’s Cyanogen, What’s Cyanogen OS?

While Cyanogen, Inc has been the source of many headlines lately, there … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

Block Ads *HELP*

22nd April 2014, 05:33 AM |#1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I'm trying to block ads on my phone lucky patched didn't seem to get the job done nor did minminguard from xposed. I also updated my hosts file from /etc/ directory and installed adblock plus and ads still come up .. anything I'm missing?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

22nd April 2014, 08:50 PM |#2  
Chicago
Thanks Meter: 9

More
I have a stock m8 right now but adaway has always worked for me with all the other phones I've had (ie. m7 s4 s3 n5 sgn3) you do have to be rooted however.
22nd April 2014, 09:09 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 33

More
I have tried AdFree, AdAway and AdBlocker and have had no luck with any of them.
23rd April 2014, 12:11 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 46

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by eruscool

I have a stock m8 right now but adaway has always worked for me with all the other phones I've had (ie. m7 s4 s3 n5 sgn3) you do have to be rooted however.

Yeah, that worked for me too on my M7. I haven't got around to rooting yet and kind of miss it. I didn't even know half the apps I use have so many ads.
23rd April 2014, 12:52 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 19

More
Assuming you have root.....this is awesome and unobtrusive

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1916098
23rd April 2014, 02:13 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 51

More
If your M8 is S-on the ads will always be reverted after about 24 hours. I used all ad-blockers and none seemed to stick for me. I was plagued by this issue until i did the s-off mod
23rd April 2014, 05:24 PM |#7  
Flag Connecticut
Thanks Meter: 74

More
If you don't want to s-off, or can't, but you are rooted and the ad blocks still don't 'stick' after a reboot simply enable system write (as opposed to read only.) This can be accomplished by using a modified kernel (in the dev section) or there is also a flashable mod for the stock kernel.
23rd April 2014, 10:18 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by eruscool

I aways use adaway too. its on fdroid repo if u cant find it. Viper rom has it baked in Im pretty sure.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread