ZArchive Manages Your File Archives

Today smartphones are quite powerful devices that can handle multiple processes at once. In fact, some of … more

Regain Double Tap to Wake Functionality on the Nexus 6

A few months ago, Google announced its newest flagship device, the Nexus 6, alongside … more

Clean Your Recent Apps – XDA Xposed Tuesday

In this day and age, you have quite a few apps installed and running on your Android … more

Android Studio Reaches Release Candidate Status

Android app developers have a few options when comes to Android IDEs. One of the most … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Block Ads *HELP*

OP Veniceee

22nd April 2014, 06:33 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 1

44 posts
I'm trying to block ads on my phone lucky patched didn't seem to get the job done nor did minminguard from xposed. I also updated my hosts file from /etc/ directory and installed adblock plus and ads still come up .. anything I'm missing?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
22nd April 2014, 09:50 PM   |  #2  
Chicago
Thanks Meter: 8

104 posts
More
I have a stock m8 right now but adaway has always worked for me with all the other phones I've had (ie. m7 s4 s3 n5 sgn3) you do have to be rooted however.
22nd April 2014, 10:09 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 33

537 posts
I have tried AdFree, AdAway and AdBlocker and have had no luck with any of them.
23rd April 2014, 01:11 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 44

335 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by eruscool

I have a stock m8 right now but adaway has always worked for me with all the other phones I've had (ie. m7 s4 s3 n5 sgn3) you do have to be rooted however.

Yeah, that worked for me too on my M7. I haven't got around to rooting yet and kind of miss it. I didn't even know half the apps I use have so many ads.
23rd April 2014, 01:52 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 14

140 posts
Assuming you have root.....this is awesome and unobtrusive

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1916098
23rd April 2014, 03:13 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 51

108 posts
More
If your M8 is S-on the ads will always be reverted after about 24 hours. I used all ad-blockers and none seemed to stick for me. I was plagued by this issue until i did the s-off mod
23rd April 2014, 06:24 PM   |  #7  
Flag Connecticut
Thanks Meter: 69

341 posts
More
If you don't want to s-off, or can't, but you are rooted and the ad blocks still don't 'stick' after a reboot simply enable system write (as opposed to read only.) This can be accomplished by using a modified kernel (in the dev section) or there is also a flashable mod for the stock kernel.
23rd April 2014, 11:18 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 8

20 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eruscool

I aways use adaway too. its on fdroid repo if u cant find it. Viper rom has it baked in Im pretty sure.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread