Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,247 Members 46,872 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] [ SOLVED ] [ YP-G70 & YP-G1 ] Three Players, One MAC Address

Tip us?

TrojanDad
Old
(Last edited by TrojanDad; 23rd April 2014 at 11:30 PM.) Reason: problem was solved
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Default [Q] [ SOLVED ] [ YP-G70 & YP-G1 ] Three Players, One MAC Address

I have three SG Players, two 5.0 and one 4.0 that have been having trouble connecting to my home wifi.

The 4.0 is running CM11 (cm-11-20140323-UNOFFICIAL-ypg1) with the Impulse r6 kernel.

One 5.0 is running CM11 (cm-11-20140113-UNOFFICIAL-venturi) with the Jan12 US kernel.

The other 5.0 is running CM10.2 (cm-10.2-20131105-UNOFFICIAL-venturi) with the Nov4 US kernel.

I poked around and discovered that they all have the same MAC address, and the two 5.0 players have the same serial number. I tried various MAC spoofers and changers without any success. I tried wiping and reflashing one of the 5.0 and the 4.0, but the addresses did not change.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to change the MAC addresses?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
toys -
SG Tab 3 10.1 - GT-P5210
SG Player 5.0 - YP-G70
SG Player 4.0 - YP-G1
SG Tab 7.0 Plus - GT-P6210
Kindle Fire v1

Meticulus
Old
Thanks Meter 1,713

DONATE TO ME
For the 5.0 player you need to edit the /vendor/firmware/nvram.txt . There is a line that starts: macaddr=

Make sure it sticks, you got to remount,rw /system before you edit!

You should be able to make up any "valid" mac you want...

Been meaning to fix this but... working on other stuff at the moment.
  • Simply because "A" precedes "B" doesn't necessarily mean that "A" caused "B"
  • Let's work the problem people. Let's not make things worse by guessing.
  • I don't care about what anything was DESIGNED to do, I care about what it CAN do.

Development Projects @ meticulus.co.vu
Carbon ROM for Samsung Galaxy Exhibit / Ace 2e
Carbon ROM for Samsung Galaxy Player 5
Carbon ROM for Hisense Sero 7 Pro
The Following User Says Thank You to Meticulus For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

zaclimon
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,694

DONATE TO ME
As @Meticulus said, the same thing applies with the 4.0, only that the file is /vendor/firmware/nvram_net.txt.
The Following User Says Thank You to zaclimon For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Meticulus
Old
Thanks Meter 1,713

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaclimon View Post
As @Meticulus said, the same thing applies with the 4.0, only that the file is /vendor/firmware/nvram_net.txt.
You path is correct for 5.0 too... typo
  • Simply because "A" precedes "B" doesn't necessarily mean that "A" caused "B"
  • Let's work the problem people. Let's not make things worse by guessing.
  • I don't care about what anything was DESIGNED to do, I care about what it CAN do.

Development Projects @ meticulus.co.vu
Carbon ROM for Samsung Galaxy Exhibit / Ace 2e
Carbon ROM for Samsung Galaxy Player 5
Carbon ROM for Hisense Sero 7 Pro
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Meticulus For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

TrojanDad
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Gentlemen,

Thank you for the help. I was not able to try your suggestions as the computer here at work is locked down.

As both of you mentioned a text file, I looked through the cm-11-20140323-UNOFFICIAL-ypg1.zip file, found and edited /system/vendor/firmware/nvram_net.txt to modify the mac address. After saving the modified .zip file, I flashed it and my 4.0 now had the revised MAC address.

I then took the opportunity to update one 5.0 and the 4.0 to the latest CM11 (cm-11-20140414-UNOFFICIAL-venturi and cm-11-20140421-UNOFFICIAL-ypg1, respectively), after modifying the MAC address for each .zip file.

Thank you for fixing the headset button on the 4.0!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
toys -
SG Tab 3 10.1 - GT-P5210
SG Player 5.0 - YP-G70
SG Player 4.0 - YP-G1
SG Tab 7.0 Plus - GT-P6210
Kindle Fire v1

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TrojanDad For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]