Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,692 Members 40,142 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] cleanrom on 10.1 device?

Tip us?
 
jdwhiskeyjack
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 2
Join Date: Apr 2014
Default [Q] cleanrom on 10.1 device?

Did a search and didn't see anything that seemed overly relevant, so giving up and starting a thread

I got a 10.1 (SM-T520) earlier this week to serve as my personal travel computer (since my company is tightening up restrictions and monitoring on work laptops). I want to root it and get rid of all the crapware, but was busy hunting for an easy way to do that since I haven't done a root/custom ROM previously. I did find the list of bloatware apps to remove in another thread, but the ROM seemed like a faster/cleaner option, plus it would let me learn more.

I found the CleanRom option by scrosler, which seemed pretty ideal, was going to pair with a Nova Launcher. However in reading the thread it was noted here that 10.1 devices weren't supported. However this post seems to contradict that. Is there a definitive answer on whether it will work or not. I'll go try it if it's likely to work, just don't want to brick the thing.



Thanks in advance.
 
dknotty
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 20
Posts: 307
Join Date: May 2011
Shame there are no roms for the 10.1... I'm really keen to root my 10.1 and have a slimmed down Android experience.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk
 
smalis
Old
#3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 129
Posts: 860
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by dknotty View Post
Shame there are no roms for the 10.1... I'm really keen to root my 10.1 and have a slimmed down Android experience.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk
Root and freeze/uninstall bloatware with Titanium Backup. Install Nova to replace TouchWiz. Tablet flies with stock ROM. Then patiently wait for custom ROMs, which will no doubt appear eventually.
______________________________
Nexus 5: Beanstalk 4.4.249 with ElementalX-0.24+ kernel [KK 4.4.2]
Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1: Rooted Stock (KK 4.4.2]
Chromecast: Eureka-ROM 1.1
 
jonlad1
Old
#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 18
Posts: 233
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwhiskeyjack View Post
Did a search and didn't see anything that seemed overly relevant, so giving up and starting a thread

I got a 10.1 (SM-T520) earlier this week to serve as my personal travel computer (since my company is tightening up restrictions and monitoring on work laptops). I want to root it and get rid of all the crapware, but was busy hunting for an easy way to do that since I haven't done a root/custom ROM previously. I did find the list of bloatware apps to remove in another thread, but the ROM seemed like a faster/cleaner option, plus it would let me learn more.

I found the CleanRom option by scrosler, which seemed pretty ideal, was going to pair with a Nova Launcher. However in reading the thread it was noted here that 10.1 devices weren't supported. However this post seems to contradict that. Is there a definitive answer on whether it will work or not. I'll go try it if it's likely to work, just don't want to brick the thing.



Thanks in advance.
I believe Scrosler has already advised CleanRom isnt supported for the 10.1

That being said, I would happily put money towards a rom bounty or similar to "persuade" him to support the 10.1
 
netscorer
Old
#5  
Member
Thanks Meter 16
Posts: 72
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonlad1 View Post
I believe Scrosler has already advised CleanRom isnt supported for the 10.1

That being said, I would happily put money towards a rom bounty or similar to "persuade" him to support the 10.1
Given that 8.4 and 10.1 don't even share CPU architecture, I doubt any 8.4 ROM would be adapted to support 10.1 devices. XDA bunched together very different tablets into the same forum and everyone is confused as the result. I've got bunch of 'helpful' advices from 8.4 owners who dominate these forums.
 
jonlad1
Old
#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 18
Posts: 233
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by netscorer View Post
Given that 8.4 and 10.1 don't even share CPU architecture, I doubt any 8.4 ROM would be adapted to support 10.1 devices. XDA bunched together very different tablets into the same forum and everyone is confused as the result. I've got bunch of 'helpful' advices from 8.4 owners who dominate these forums.
I meant persuade him to develop a specific rom for the 10.1, not add 10.1 support in the 8.4 rom he's already developed.

If we can get a bounty together, he might consider it if he has time/inclination.
 
Brendo
Old
#7  
Brendo's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 509
Posts: 2,328
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Brisbane, Australia

 
DONATE TO ME
keep in mind qualcomm vs exynos
Samsung Galaxy S IV (i9505) | 16GB
[ROM: Stock KK 4.4.2 | XXUFNC9 | MODEM GSM/LTE: XXUEML4/XXUFMC9 | BL: PRE-KNOX | K: ADAM | RECOVERY: PhilZ]
DOMINATION | XPOSED

OTHER DEVICES:
 
Google Nexus 5 | 32GB
Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 (P7310) | 32Gb
[ROM: CM10.2 | CPU: 1.4ghz]
Samsung Galaxy TabPro 10.1 LTE (T525) | 16Gb

Pebble (Kickstarter)
Galaxy Gear (Null_)
Gear Live ()
Google Glass (Explorer)

--------
My Android Downloads

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

Browse the Internet with the Innovative Atlas Web Browser

For the most part, Chrome, Firefox, and Dolphin Browser have no real rivals among … more

Choose from Over a Thousand Battery Styles with 3Minit Battery Mod

The battery style in stock Android looks pretty dull. It doesn’t … more

Organize Your Cloud Storage Files with Unclouded

Cloud storage services like Dropbox or Google Drive have grown in popularity dramatically … more

XDA Xposed Tuesday: Blur Your System Notification Panel – XDA Developer TV

Listen, we love innovative applications and modules that … more