Early Lollipop Ports for Micromax A116 and A117

It feels like it was only yesterday when Google announced the mysterious Android L.After … more

Now Gesture Tweaks Replaces Google Now with Custom Action

On most modern Android devices with software navigation keys, swiping up from the … more

ToqAN Fixes Android 5.0 Notification Bug on Qualcomm Toq

The Qualcomm Toq is probably one of the lesser known smartwatches on the market … more

How to Root and Unlock the Google Nexus 6 on a Mac – XDA TV

In the past, XDA Developer TV Producer droidmodd3rx has shown you how to … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] cleanrom on 10.1 device?

OP jdwhiskeyjack

19th April 2014, 08:31 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Did a search and didn't see anything that seemed overly relevant, so giving up and starting a thread

I got a 10.1 (SM-T520) earlier this week to serve as my personal travel computer (since my company is tightening up restrictions and monitoring on work laptops). I want to root it and get rid of all the crapware, but was busy hunting for an easy way to do that since I haven't done a root/custom ROM previously. I did find the list of bloatware apps to remove in another thread, but the ROM seemed like a faster/cleaner option, plus it would let me learn more.

I found the CleanRom option by scrosler, which seemed pretty ideal, was going to pair with a Nova Launcher. However in reading the thread it was noted here that 10.1 devices weren't supported. However this post seems to contradict that. Is there a definitive answer on whether it will work or not. I'll go try it if it's likely to work, just don't want to brick the thing.

Thanks in advance.
19th April 2014, 08:51 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 20

323 posts
Shame there are no roms for the 10.1... I'm really keen to root my 10.1 and have a slimmed down Android experience.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk
23rd April 2014, 01:46 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 129

860 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dknotty

Shame there are no roms for the 10.1... I'm really keen to root my 10.1 and have a slimmed down Android experience.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

Root and freeze/uninstall bloatware with Titanium Backup. Install Nova to replace TouchWiz. Tablet flies with stock ROM. Then patiently wait for custom ROMs, which will no doubt appear eventually.
23rd April 2014, 06:39 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 19

247 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwhiskeyjack

Did a search and didn't see anything that seemed overly relevant, so giving up and starting a thread

I got a 10.1 (SM-T520) earlier this week to serve as my personal travel computer (since my company is tightening up restrictions and monitoring on work laptops). I want to root it and get rid of all the crapware, but was busy hunting for an easy way to do that since I haven't done a root/custom ROM previously. I did find the list of bloatware apps to remove in another thread, but the ROM seemed like a faster/cleaner option, plus it would let me learn more.

I found the CleanRom option by scrosler, which seemed pretty ideal, was going to pair with a Nova Launcher. However in reading the thread it was noted here that 10.1 devices weren't supported. However this post seems to contradict that. Is there a definitive answer on whether it will work or not. I'll go try it if it's likely to work, just don't want to brick the thing.

Thanks in advance.

I believe Scrosler has already advised CleanRom isnt supported for the 10.1

That being said, I would happily put money towards a rom bounty or similar to "persuade" him to support the 10.1
23rd April 2014, 01:06 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 16

72 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonlad1

I believe Scrosler has already advised CleanRom isnt supported for the 10.1

That being said, I would happily put money towards a rom bounty or similar to "persuade" him to support the 10.1

Given that 8.4 and 10.1 don't even share CPU architecture, I doubt any 8.4 ROM would be adapted to support 10.1 devices. XDA bunched together very different tablets into the same forum and everyone is confused as the result. I've got bunch of 'helpful' advices from 8.4 owners who dominate these forums.
24th April 2014, 12:02 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 19

247 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by netscorer

Given that 8.4 and 10.1 don't even share CPU architecture, I doubt any 8.4 ROM would be adapted to support 10.1 devices. XDA bunched together very different tablets into the same forum and everyone is confused as the result. I've got bunch of 'helpful' advices from 8.4 owners who dominate these forums.

I meant persuade him to develop a specific rom for the 10.1, not add 10.1 support in the 8.4 rom he's already developed.

If we can get a bounty together, he might consider it if he has time/inclination.
24th April 2014, 12:43 AM   |  #7  
keep in mind qualcomm vs exynos

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread