Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Can you just patch a stock ROM to be rooted if you have S-OFF? Or use OTA updates

OP Cyber Akuma

23rd April 2014, 10:34 PM   |  #11  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Birmingham, AL
Thanks Meter: 2,183

4,003 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Akuma

Thank you for the detailed response, It's a great help when people also explain why something does or doesn't work in some way.

So basically, to summarize, for a Sprint M8 I can only use the official dev unlock, and even the temporarily root methods don't work, but after I use the dev unlock I can run firewater to get S-Off?

I am going to have to install a rom with root access after I use the dev unlock though and not be able to rely on the Stock rom through aren't I? I can still get a rom that is 100% the stock rom, just with root access though, right?

Would I have to worry about anything or an OTA resetting me to S-ON? Especially if it can fix the exploit that currently allows for S-Off?

Yes, use HTC Dev to unlock, install a custom recovery, then flash SuperSU for root access. You can then use Firewater to gain S-off. You can stay on the stock ROM, just be warned that you'll get update notifications if you aren't on the latest OTA update. Having said that, you won't be able to install said update unless you reinstall the stock recovery.

Sent from my HTC device
23rd April 2014, 11:33 PM   |  #12  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 3

205 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinZ28

Having said that, you won't be able to install said update unless you reinstall the stock recovery.

It's only the recovery that matters? Not the S-Off or having Dev unlock or anything else? And only for installing a stock update, not running it after it's been installed?

Isn't that easy to flash and re-flash? Can't I just easily re-flash back to a stock recovery, install the OTA, then flash back?

Oh, and can I lose S-Off in a future update or something this way? Or is it permanent once applied? (Although I know you can hex-exit the bootloader to make it look like it's still S-On, not sure if I want to do that since it sounds extremely risky).
24th April 2014, 01:37 AM   |  #13  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Birmingham, AL
Thanks Meter: 2,183

4,003 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Akuma

It's only the recovery that matters? Not the S-Off or having Dev unlock or anything else? And only for installing a stock update, not running it after it's been installed?

Isn't that easy to flash and re-flash? Can't I just easily re-flash back to a stock recovery, install the OTA, then flash back?

Oh, and can I lose S-Off in a future update or something this way? Or is it permanent once applied? (Although I know you can hex-exit the bootloader to make it look like it's still S-On, not sure if I want to do that since it sounds extremely risky).

It's that easy, yes, and no, you can't lose S-off by applying an OTA update. Take a look at the thread in the link below for more info:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2720558

Sent from my HTC device
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread