Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,000 Members 38,456 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Bricked or power button trouble?

Tip us?

mr. grieves
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Bricked or power button trouble?

A few days ago I looked at my phone and the 'Device Options' menu kept appearing over and over as if someone was holding the power button down. I managed to turn off the phone and since then I haven't been able to get it to reboot. The phone will boot to either the 'SAMSUNG' or 'Samsung Galaxy SIII' logo screens and then the screen goes blank. I can occasionally get the phone to start booting into recovery mode but it turns off before getting to the menu, same thing with download mode. This seems to be getting worse as well, as the first few times I tried to get to recovery mode I could at least get to the menu before it turned off.

The phone will not charge either. I can get the charging indicator (red LED) to come on if I remove battery, plug in USB cable then reinsert battery. However, the battery does not actually get a charge when I do this.

I have tried swapping in fresh batteries, removing SD card, removing SIM card with no effect. I tried taking the phone apart and I can't see any problems with the power switch.

Any ideas on what is going on? I am two months out of warranty. I have ordered a USB jig since I thought it was bricked from a firmware/software issue but now I am wondering if it is actually a power button problem.

The phone is a Rogers Galaxy SIII, not rooted, running stock firmware.

Thanks.

mreadshaw
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I have the exact same problem. Only I'm on CM 11. It will let me boot into recovery and download mode but reboots after about 5 seconds in each.

Larry2999
Old
Thanks Meter 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. grieves View Post
A few days ago I looked at my phone and the 'Device Options' menu kept appearing over and over as if someone was holding the power button down. I managed to turn off the phone and since then I haven't been able to get it to reboot. The phone will boot to either the 'SAMSUNG' or 'Samsung Galaxy SIII' logo screens and then the screen goes blank. I can occasionally get the phone to start booting into recovery mode but it turns off before getting to the menu, same thing with download mode. This seems to be getting worse as well, as the first few times I tried to get to recovery mode I could at least get to the menu before it turned off.

The phone will not charge either. I can get the charging indicator (red LED) to come on if I remove battery, plug in USB cable then reinsert battery. However, the battery does not actually get a charge when I do this.

I have tried swapping in fresh batteries, removing SD card, removing SIM card with no effect. I tried taking the phone apart and I can't see any problems with the power switch.

Any ideas on what is going on? I am two months out of warranty. I have ordered a USB jig since I thought it was bricked from a firmware/software issue but now I am wondering if it is actually a power button problem.

The phone is a Rogers Galaxy SIII, not rooted, running stock firmware.

Thanks.
If it's a stuck power button problem, this is usually indicated by the phone powering on itself once the battery inserted. In most cases, pulling out and replacing the battery would be the only way to power on/off the phone. This doesn't seem quite like what you are describing. Also, a brick is unlikely if you weren't trying to flash any firmware as you mentioned it's stock and not rooted. Sounds like a (not too serious) hardware problem which may require professional attention. If you can manage to get into recovery mode, you may try to do a hard wipe/reset.
The Following User Says Thank You to Larry2999 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kgravelle7k2
Old
Thanks Meter 0
If the s3 comes apart like the s4 open it up, take off the screws and pop the housing off. See if the button under the housing is stuck

Sent from my SPH-L720

mr. grieves
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry2999 View Post
If it's a stuck power button problem, this is usually indicated by the phone powering on itself once the battery inserted..
It usually does do this. I can't see or feel that anything is physically wrong with the power button though,

mr. grieves
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgravelle7k2 View Post
If the s3 comes apart like the s4 open it up, take off the screws and pop the housing off. See if the button under the housing is stuck

Sent from my SPH-L720
I took it apart, the button looks fine, it's not stuck, seems to click normally.

mr. grieves
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks for the input everyone.

Turned out to be the power button. Took it in to a repair shop, they put in a new switch and it is back to normal.