[Q] Root without ROM Upgrade?

Search This thread

SXUsr

Jul 11, 2010
Here =)
NO! How many "I've read all these other guides" threads do we need asking the same question to be told the same answer. If it was possible there would be a guide.

Sent from the app on my Z1C...

LuSiD7

Feb 17, 2013
Athens

Try rooting with Kingroot 4.8.0 (this worked for me)
Then use Replace Kinguser with SuperSu scripts and method (this worked for me).
I then installed XZDual Recovery downloaded from here with no problem (look for the file that reads "Z1C-lockeddualrecovery...)!

That's how I gained root with SuperSU and with Dual Recovery. Then you can flash a ROM for Locked Bootloader without the need to backup your TA and without erasing internal storage so your photos and videos (at least) will remain intact.

P.S. Do this at your own risk. I am not responsible if you mess up with your phone.

levone1

Dec 28, 2014
Another Sony noob here. Last four phones have all been HTC but the Z1C forced me to jump ship!

All the guides I've looked at include the flashing of a different ROM. Is it possible to get root and recovery with locked bootloader but leaving the existing ROM intact?

Thanks guys!!

If you're on factory stock kk, method described above works great. Takes about 2 minutes and you're done. One thing to note is that Kingroot app will show 'root unavailable' message at first. Just ignore it and click root. I just did it myself. Only thing is that I did take the updates in the popup notifications, but only up to kk firmware .108. Don't take any update after that, or you will be on lp, and rooting is a whole different story.