Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,797 Members 51,992 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Will Odin to 4.3 lock the bootloader?

Tip us?
 
jl2222
Old
(Last edited by jl2222; 23rd April 2014 at 04:16 AM.)
#1  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
Posts: 133
Join Date: Dec 2010
Default [Q] Will Odin to 4.3 lock the bootloader?

When Odin back to stock will it lock the bootloader? Specifically from a unlocked firmware and then Odin to 4.3 image.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda premium
 
skeeterpro
Old
#2  
skeeterpro's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 134
Posts: 912
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by jl2222 View Post
When Odin back to stock will it lock the bootloader? Specifically from a unlocked firmware and then Odin to 4.3 image.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda premium
I should imagine that if you Odin using an OTA or stock tar from your provider then yes, you will lock your bootloader. AFAIK (which, mind you could be in error) the bootloader in the 4.3 OTA locks and deploys KNOX.

To save root I would ODIN stock root ROM or the like from XDA. Better yet install a custom recovery and then install rooted stock.

HTH
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."....A. Einstein
----------------------------------------------------------

Samsung Galaxy Tab S Stock rooted
Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 Civato Flexbeam 4.2.2
Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 6800/OmniROM 4.4
SGS III Stock Rooted TW/Unlocked/4.3
 
jl2222
Old
#3  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
Posts: 133
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeterpro View Post
I should imagine that if you Odin using an OTA or stock tar from your provider then yes, you will lock your bootloader. AFAIK (which, mind you could be in error) the bootloader in the 4.3 OTA locks and deploys KNOX.

To save root I would ODIN stock root ROM or the like from XDA. Better yet install a custom recovery and then install rooted stock.

HTH
Ok thanks. Yeah it may sound weird but my goal is to get one of my phones completely back to stock. Stock recovery, Knox, Bootloader locked etc. I believe I have achieved my overall goal but cannot tell if I have a lock or unlocked bootloader still. When I first started my phone after Odin it showed a splash screen that said custom with an unlock symbol which threw me off. After booting the phone the custom lock splash screen during boot up went away. Kinda weird.
 
skeeterpro
Old
#4  
skeeterpro's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 134
Posts: 912
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by jl2222 View Post
Ok thanks. Yeah it may sound weird but my goal is to get one of my phones completely back to stock. Stock recovery, Knox, Bootloader locked etc. I believe I have achieved my overall goal but cannot tell if I have a lock or unlocked bootloader still. When I first started my phone after Odin it showed a splash screen that said custom with an unlock symbol which threw me off. After booting the phone the custom lock splash screen during boot up went away. Kinda weird.
Yeah. That is odd. Which is why we all take chances of borking our devices when we flash. Crazy stuff can happen. The Custom reference and unlock to me implies you still have a custom recovery and unlocked BL. Either way with the KNOX trip your phone is out of warranty. But then perhaps the person at VZW won't check.

Something I've started to do (suggestion from prdog1) is when I flash I wipe System along with Dalvik and Data. Clears out any "leftovers" from previous flashes it seems.

Just a thought.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."....A. Einstein
----------------------------------------------------------

Samsung Galaxy Tab S Stock rooted
Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 Civato Flexbeam 4.2.2
Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 6800/OmniROM 4.4
SGS III Stock Rooted TW/Unlocked/4.3
 
jl2222
Old
#5  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
Posts: 133
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeterpro View Post
Yeah. That is odd. Which is why we all take chances of borking our devices when we flash. Crazy stuff can happen. The Custom reference and unlock to me implies you still have a custom recovery and unlocked BL. Either way with the KNOX trip your phone is out of warranty. But then perhaps the person at VZW won't check.

Something I've started to do (suggestion from prdog1) is when I flash I wipe System along with Dalvik and Data. Clears out any "leftovers" from previous flashes it seems.

Just a thought.
Yea I was unaware of KNOX until after I Odin to 4.3. So a little worried I tripped it in the process. Also I never Triangled Away before either. Im wondering if I should saferoot her then use triangle away and then Odin one more time.

Yea I also like to wipe system sometimes too. I've noticed most every Rom will wipe system during installation anyways tho.
 
skeeterpro
Old
#6  
skeeterpro's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 134
Posts: 912
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by jl2222 View Post
Yea I was unaware of KNOX until after I Odin to 4.3. So a little worried I tripped it in the process. Also I never Triangled Away before either. Im wondering if I should saferoot her then use triangle away and then Odin one more time.

Yea I also like to wipe system sometimes too. I've noticed most every Rom will wipe system during installation anyways tho.
Well, IMHO it's immaterial resetting with Triangle Away. Since KNOX is tripped and cannot be reversed any VZW employee who happens to looks and discovers the KNOX trip can reject the phone (AFAIK).
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."....A. Einstein
----------------------------------------------------------

Samsung Galaxy Tab S Stock rooted
Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 Civato Flexbeam 4.2.2
Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 6800/OmniROM 4.4
SGS III Stock Rooted TW/Unlocked/4.3
 
jl2222
Old
#7  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
Posts: 133
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeterpro View Post
Well, IMHO it's immaterial resetting with Triangle Away. Since KNOX is tripped and cannot be reversed any VZW employee who happens to looks and discovers the KNOX trip can reject the phone (AFAIK).
Well cross my fingers it passes and they don't check it. Thank for the help.
 
skeeterpro
Old
#8  
skeeterpro's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 134
Posts: 912
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by jl2222 View Post
Well cross my fingers it passes and they don't check it. Thank for the help.

You're welcome. Good luck
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."....A. Einstein
----------------------------------------------------------

Samsung Galaxy Tab S Stock rooted
Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 Civato Flexbeam 4.2.2
Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 6800/OmniROM 4.4
SGS III Stock Rooted TW/Unlocked/4.3

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes