Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,607 Members 52,683 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Backing up Android source code ??

Tip us?

pauldmps
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 34
Default Backing up Android source code ??

I downloaded the Android 4.4.2 source code that turned out to be about 14GB with more than 4,00,000 files.

I want to back up the folder in some .tar or zip or similar archive so that I can start fresh if something goes wrong in the working copy. I tried making a .tar.gz archive but it gave file permission errors during extracting and won't extract anymore.

So, how do I go about this ??

zeetherocker
Old
Thanks Meter 844

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldmps View Post
I downloaded the Android 4.4.2 source code that turned out to be about 14GB with more than 4,00,000 files.

I want to back up the folder in some .tar or zip or similar archive so that I can start fresh if something goes wrong in the working copy. I tried making a .tar.gz archive but it gave file permission errors during extracting and won't extract anymore.

So, how do I go about this ??
This is what I did in my starting days
I copied all the folders from the source directory to another HDD which was just 80gb... I kept it permanently as my backup HDD...
But while copying don't copy everything at once... Copy in pieces... The 'external, framework n repo' folders are huge... So copy one by one... Or It'll take forever to copy....
But actually backups aren't required... You can always reset any changes you make to any file..!
---IF I HELPED THEN JUST PRESS THE DAMN BUTTON.. IT MAKES ME FEEL GUD---

The Following User Says Thank You to zeetherocker For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

pauldmps
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 34
But what's wrong with archiving ? I get multiple errors of "Cannot create symbolic link".

And how can reset the changes of the entire source code ??