Backing up Android source code ??

OP pauldmps

24th April 2014, 03:44 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Jamshedpur/Bhubaneswar
Thanks Meter: 34

111 posts
More
I downloaded the Android 4.4.2 source code that turned out to be about 14GB with more than 4,00,000 files.

I want to back up the folder in some .tar or zip or similar archive so that I can start fresh if something goes wrong in the working copy. I tried making a .tar.gz archive but it gave file permission errors during extracting and won't extract anymore.

So, how do I go about this ??
24th April 2014, 03:52 AM   |  #2  
Flag Bangalore
Thanks Meter: 888

774 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldmps

I downloaded the Android 4.4.2 source code that turned out to be about 14GB with more than 4,00,000 files.

I want to back up the folder in some .tar or zip or similar archive so that I can start fresh if something goes wrong in the working copy. I tried making a .tar.gz archive but it gave file permission errors during extracting and won't extract anymore.

So, how do I go about this ??

This is what I did in my starting days
I copied all the folders from the source directory to another HDD which was just 80gb... I kept it permanently as my backup HDD...
But while copying don't copy everything at once... Copy in pieces... The 'external, framework n repo' folders are huge... So copy one by one... Or It'll take forever to copy....
But actually backups aren't required... You can always reset any changes you make to any file..!
The Following User Says Thank You to zeetherocker For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th April 2014, 06:01 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Jamshedpur/Bhubaneswar
Thanks Meter: 34

111 posts
More
But what's wrong with archiving ? I get multiple errors of "Cannot create symbolic link".

And how can reset the changes of the entire source code ??
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread