Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,395 Members 47,276 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Google Services wakelock kills battery

Tip us?

anjp
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Google Services wakelock kills battery

Google Services is killing my battery with its incessant wakelocks! How do I get rid of this?

I flashed my phone a few days ago... from ICS to JB 4.1.2.... I also loaded NOPE kernel and overclocked to 850 MHz. I thought it was the overclocking that was killing my battery but it looks like it's some of the google services.... they keep cpu wakelocking the phone while it should be sleeping. I mean come on, 6444 wakes in 15hrs?

I see that it's a common issue but there doesn't seem to be an easy fix. Can anyone walk me through what they did to solve? attached are my battery/wakelock stats for reference
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-04-23-00-04-43.png
Views:	57
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	2703131   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-04-23-00-05-49.png
Views:	49
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	2703132   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-04-23-00-05-42.png
Views:	41
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	2703133  

calinorg
Old
Thanks Meter 42
You can always greenify it (play store -> greenify). Mind it does restart quite often, so it is a real pain, but most of the google apps depend on it. You could also go to google settings on the phone, and in the location section disable location reporting and location history. This is the main battery killer in google services.

P.S. What's the rom you're using on the pictures?

anjp
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I read that turning off both GPS and network location services will help fix this.... but then all my apps become dumb. I'm looking at the Google Services screen in Wakelock Detector (image first post) and I can see the wake count for different functions or programs. e.g. NetworkLocationLocator woke 206 times, but GTALK_CONN woke 1668. Is there any way to disable certain aspects of the Google Services app or is it an all or none scenario?

Quote:
P.S. What's the rom you're using on the pictures?
It's Speed Droid by addictz10 with the Samsung S5 skin (it's called CM11 CM10.2 TouchWiz 5.0 theme in the Store). The first green pic is using Wakelock Detector and the other 2 are the OS Battery screen.

calinorg
Old
Thanks Meter 42
Well, as for gps, you can turn it off, because it is rarely needed for your phone to have that precise information on your whereabouts. As for network location service, don't turn it off, just turn location reporting and location history in google settings (not phone settings). As for gtalk, well, you'll have to uninstall hangouts and to disable/remove google talk to stop that behavior. I don't think that there is a way of stopping certain wakelocks, and I agree that it would be great if it could be done...