Nexus 5 for $35?

Search This thread

Comet1966

Apr 22, 2011
sevierville,TN
Should I get the Nexus 5 as my upgrade from Sprint for just $35? Just wanting to know if it is worth it, I have the 2013 HTC One and it get's hot whenever I use it, really hot. Does the nexus 5? Thanks!

spinninbsod

May 17, 2013
new york city
The nexus 5 doesent get that hot I guess it depends on what you do with me it almost never gets hot if you are a hardcore it will get hot but the HTC one gets really hot because it s made out of metal my main complaint with the iPhone

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Comet1966

bitdomo

Nov 3, 2011
Göd
Charging+maximum brightness+gaming=hot phone
It is happening for nexus too

Tapatalk-kal küldve az én Nexus 5-el

joannn

Feb 5, 2014
Hotness of nexus5

Should I get the Nexus 5 as my upgrade from Sprint for just $35? Just wanting to know if it is worth it, I have the 2013 HTC One and it get's hot whenever I use it, really hot. Does the nexus 5? Thanks!

Nexus 5 is not only Hot in appearances and by its style but it is also Hot when I

1. Using and browsing internet more than 1 hour.
2. Charging it more than 3 hours.
3. Clicking pictures continuously more than 1 hour.
4. Playing Games.
5. On call more than an hour.
Etc..:crying:

vin4yak

Mar 10, 2013
Mumbai
vinu.info
Pretty much all phones that I have used get hot when I'm gaming, browsing, taking pictures continuously etc...
What I don't understand is why people make a big fuss about it? It's not like it will melt your skin...
If you're rooted, you can use custom kernels to increase throttling but then people will complain that the phone lags.. Lol.

Temperatures ranging between 45-60 are pretty normal and especially when your living in hot places where the room temperature is 25-30*c

Just use your device and forget about the temperatures!

- Sent from an IceCold Hammerhead!

marleyfan61

Aug 19, 2010
Surrey
I'm experiencing pretty much none of that. My N5 only gets hot if I'm doing any CPU intensive gaming. Which I pretty much never do. No issues while browsing or anything else.

To OP. If you're unhappy with your One the N5 is a great phone. Differences to note tho: Sense. If you like it a lot then you will miss it. Speakers. There is no comparison between the speakers on the One and the N5.

Also, the carrier N5's are all 16Gb as far as I know. So be sure that it will be enough storage for you.

I'm incredibly happy with my N5

Last edited:

vwgti18

Apr 28, 2011
Sacramento
Get the nexus 5 but not with sprint they suck. I cant wait till The end of may to go get AT&T. But it does get kind of hot sometimes but not so hot you have to put it down lol.

GSLEON3

Retired Senior Moderator
A device with a body made of metal alloys is ALWAYS going to feel warmer during strenuous operation than a device body fabricated out of plastic or composite materials. Mostly, that is a good thing, for both the device internals & battery life. Metal is a better conductor than plastic & also has a lower "R" value. These factors serve to allow the metallic device to better dissipate the energy transferred to heat, away from the device & into the cooler ambient air. While the exterior of the device may be warmer, the interior components are often cooler & they definitely cool down faster when they do heat up than they would in a plastic bodied device.

As to the question itself. The Nexus 5 can & does heat up like any other device & how noticeable it is, depends on how you use the device. Again, you will not notice the heat as much, but the internals of the device will. The Nexus 5 itself is a worthy device, tho I am using mine less & less as I find more to like about my new HTC M8. I am certain that you could probably find the Nexus 5 online for nearly any carrier for free, if not close. While I am a Nexus 5 fan, you just don't get the same quality in the Nexus line that you do with other flagship devices. GPS drift can be horrible on the Nexus 5 & I don't mean just from my experiences. I belong to a large Ingress group, many of whom use the Nexus 5, nearly all of them suffer from horrible GPS drift frequently. The M8 on the other hand, has been rock steady, gives me better AT&T 4G LTE signal & just all around rocks. HTC isn't providing a free, one time, 6 month screen replacement garuntee because the device is haphazardly thrown together partially based on the lowest bidder to mee the specification outlined by Google. Also, just know the the Nexus 5 battery is mediocre at best & without a lot of trial & error (& some help from Flar2's ElementalX) you are lucky to see 3 & 1/2 hours of screen on time. I was able to get it out to 5 & 1/2 hours, but again, it took a lot of tinkering & thankfully there was a solid kernel with good source available to build from.

One last thing. While you will benefit from regular software updates (which HTC has also made a part of their HTC Advantage program, not too mention they took Google's queue & started releasing modular updates in the form of Play Store service update packs) remember that in 6 months or so, the Nexus 6 will be out. At that time, based on Google's revised support schedule, you could potentially stop seeing updates on the Nexus 5 about 6 months after release. Now I don't expect that to happen, however, if the reports are true, it could, since it sounds like Google is wanting to go away from the Nexus program & stick primarily to GPe devices.

I don't think you'll be disappointed with the N5, but it just isn't the same type of quality as the HTC M7 or M8. Plus, now that there are GPE devices for both HTC models, converting to a GPe device that benefits from a Nexus-like update program is a simple thing.

At any rate, just some food for thought. I loved my N5, but I wouldn't buy it again today. At the end of last year, or even in January or February 2014, maybe, but not now. While you cannot go wrong with the QC SnapDragon 800, the Nexus 5 is primarily lower binned chips & the new 801 takes the same performance & enhances battery life. With only an additional 300mah, right out of the box I was getting nearly 6 hours of screen on time from the M8.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The nexus 5 doesent get that hot I guess it depends on what you do with me it almost never gets hot if you are a hardcore it will get hot but the HTC one gets really hot because it s made out of metal my main complaint with the iPhone

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk
    Charging+maximum brightness+gaming=hot phone
    It is happening for nexus too

Mine get's hot when I start browsing the web. :laugh:

Same here, but only on 3g. I cannot tell anything about LTE/4G, because I have to pay extra money for that network which I do not want to. On wifi the phone stays icecold.

Hotness of nexus5

Nexus 5 is not only Hot in appearances and by its style but it is also Hot when I

1. Using and browsing internet more than 1 hour.
    2. Charging it more than 3 hours.
    3. Clicking pictures continuously more than 1 hour.
    4. Playing Games.
    5. On call more than an hour.
    Etc..:crying:
    yeah mine gets pretty bloody hot after using it continuously for like an hour.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk