Learn More About Linux with Linux Man Pages

Linux is quite a powerful and very configurable operating system. Thanks to some user-friendly … more

Detect, Avoid IMSI-Catcher Attacks with Android IMSI-Catcher Detector

Privacy is always an important topic, as well as a delicate one to … more

Materialized LeanDroid Fights Your Poor Battery Life

Battery life has always been one of the biggest problems facing most Android devices. … more

Bump! Workaround for the LG G3 Locked Bootloader – XDA TV

The LG G3 is a power house device. It’s been a favorite of many people. … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Solved]Software Brick or Hardware?

OP Toni10

23rd April 2014, 06:47 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 37
 
79 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2010
More
Hello,
today my phone freezed in the Notification panel, while i was checking a new mail.
Then I have performed a "battery pull" with Power and VolUp, since that the screen is black.
The last thing i has done before, was to install the Xposed Framework over the installer App.

The strange is that the phone seems to boot and I can connect to the PC.
I have access to the device via adb and fastboot.
It is possible to boot into the Bootloader and even in Recovery (TWRP).

I can't believe that the Screen is dead after a Software freeze, that would be a strange coincidence.

The last 10 hours i have researched the internet for a solution, without success.

I have found this Thread, but no way to restore a nandroid without access to TWRP GUI, because of the black screen.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2715901

I tried to reflash the original firmware, erase cache and to reflash the Recovery,
but the Screen remains black.

My Device: ROM: ARHD5.0

(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 3.16.0.00
(bootloader) version-baseband: 1.15.213315
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main:
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-OFF
(bootloader) serialno: SH435XXXXXX
(bootloader) imei: 35XXXXXXXXXXXXX
(bootloader) imei2: Not Support
(bootloader) meid: 00000000000000
(bootloader) product: m8_ul
(bootloader) platform: hTCBmsm8974
(bootloader) modelid: 0P6B10000
(bootloader) cidnum: HTC__102
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 0mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: off
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: ab0efa49
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0

Can someone help me?

Maybe with a instruction, how to restore a Nandroid without accsess to TWRP GUI on the device.

best regards, Toni
Last edited by Toni10; 25th April 2014 at 12:05 PM.
23rd April 2014, 08:17 PM   |  #2  
strikerdj2011's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Galashiels (Scotland)
Thanks Meter: 173
 
571 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni10

Hello,
today my phone freezed in the Notification panel, while i was checking a new mail.
Then I have performed a "battery pull" with Power and VolUp, since that the screen is black.
The last thing i has done before, was to install the Xposed Framework over the installer App.

The strange is that the phone seems to boot and I can connect to the PC.
I have access to the device via adb and fastboot.
It is possible to boot into the Bootloader and even in Recovery (TWRP).

I can't believe that the Screen is dead after a Software freeze, that would be a strange coincidence.

The last 10 hours i have researched the internet for a solution, without success.

I have found this Thread, but no way to restore a nandroid without access to TWRP GUI, because of the black screen.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2715901

I tried to reflash the original firmware, erase cache and to reflash the Recovery,
but the Screen remains black.

My Device: ROM: ARHD5.0

(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 3.16.0.00
(bootloader) version-baseband: 1.15.213315
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main:
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-OFF
(bootloader) serialno: SH435XXXXXX
(bootloader) imei: 35XXXXXXXXXXXXX
(bootloader) imei2: Not Support
(bootloader) meid: 00000000000000
(bootloader) product: m8_ul
(bootloader) platform: hTCBmsm8974
(bootloader) modelid: 0P6B10000
(bootloader) cidnum: HTC__102
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 0mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: off
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: ab0efa49
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0

Can someone help me?

Maybe with a instruction, how to restore a Nandroid without accsess to TWRP GUI on the device.

best regards, Toni

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2718130 they might be able to help u
23rd April 2014, 08:47 PM   |  #3  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 37
 
79 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by strikerdj2011

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2718130 they might be able to help u



I saw that topic, but thought that would be a service where you have to send it to the UK.
I've checked the Thread again.

Thank you for Reply!

Best regards, Toni
24th April 2014, 02:17 AM   |  #4  
mr.dj26's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 14
 
220 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2010
the only thing I can think of is the RUU, I dont know if it will work on an unlocked bootloader :|

im not sure if there's an RUU already for the m8.

hope someone can provide a better solution

---------- Post added at 01:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:14 AM ----------

ops.. you did try flashing the stock firmware.
24th April 2014, 06:30 AM   |  #5  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 37
 
79 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.dj26

the only thing I can think of is the RUU, I dont know if it will work on an unlocked bootloader :|

im not sure if there's an RUU already for the m8.

hope someone can provide a better solution

---------- Post added at 01:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:14 AM ----------

ops.. you did try flashing the stock firmware.

Yes, I have full accsess via adb and fastboot and the System boots up.
Flashing the Stock Firmware.zip that matches the Rom, which is posted at xda, was one of the first things I've done.
Now I'm looking for a way to return it to Stock, since RUUs are not available at the Moment.

Any Ideas?

Best Regards, Toni
24th April 2014, 11:20 AM   |  #6  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 37
 
79 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2010
More
Ok, since the system boots up,i could check my M8 with:

adb shell screencap -p /sdcard/screen.png
+
adb pull /sdcard/screen.png

It is working, so it is no Software Brick.
The Screen is dead, but fortunately the Touch is working.

In the next step I copied my own Stock Nandroid 1.12.401.17 to the internal SD, to /TWRP/Backup/SHXXXXXXXXX.
Then I've managed to restore the Nandroid, blinde with my M7 beside.
Now the M8 is Stock with 1.12.401.17 and 1.54.401.5 Firmware.

Which Stock-Recovery I have to flash, for 1.12.401.17 or 1.54.401.5, or it dosen't matter at all?
->I've Found the answer in the FaQ in this Thread:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2701376



I've figured out, that it is definitely a hardware failure of the display.
With the ADB screencap I was able to operate the device over the touch.
In this way I was able to reset it completely back to stock, including Locked Flag (probably).
Now it's on the way back to the distribution company.
@MOD
The Thread can be closed.

Thanks!

Best regards, Toni.
Last edited by Toni10; 25th April 2014 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Solved
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes