[Q] Wifi Calling working but Off Under More Networks (Answered)

Search This thread

Keydas

Apr 16, 2014
Hello,
I've found out that my wifi calling is being used even though I have it off in the settings of the phone. Although it's off I still can select the options under Connection Preferences: Wifi Perfered, Cellular Networkin Prefered and Never use Cell Network (not sure if that matters or not). I choose the 2nd option and noticed dropped calls around the outer edge of my wifi. But wifi calling is turned off. How do you permanently turn this feature off?

I do use wifi when I'm within my wifi area. But had no idea that wifi calling was still being used when set to off. Do I have to disable wifi all together?

Last edited:

Keydas

Apr 16, 2014
Ok. I've found out that this is known issue doing more a search online. The only fix is to disable wifi altogether. There have been other suggestions but none of them fix it. I've heard that exchanging the sim chip that disables wifi calling might work but haven't heard anything consistent with that fix.

I'm just perplexed by this. This is a great phone yet whenever you enable wifi you enable wifi calling regardless if it's off. I just don't get how something like this would be considered a standard feature when other phones just don't do that by default. If I didn't stumble upon this information I would have never guessed that it was the main cause for my dropped calls.

:confused:

Last edited:

Keydas

Apr 16, 2014
NP, I have to wonder if this is really a standard none controllable feature on the phone or if the carrier can disable it?. If wifi calling is controllable on the phone and you can turn it on or off jet remain on then I have to wonder what other external force is keeping it on when you turn it off?
Did the maker just simply forget to remove the ability to control wifi calling because turning it off simply doesn't work.
or
Is this something that the carrier did
or
Is this something with the sim chip

:confused:

Another thing I've found that seems to be related to this. If you try to access your acct while Wifi is enabled it suppose to switch from wifi to 4G but it doesn't (and you can't access your account in tmo. while in wifi. Perhaps different software updates were used but it was seamless back then on a different phone.

Keydas

Apr 16, 2014
This brings up another interesting observation. Once wifi is enabled you can't auto enable your 4g network when it's needed. IE: You can't review your acct for one. Is there a way to make sure that your phone has 4G LTE priority whenever wifi is enabled?

Keydas

Apr 16, 2014
I don't know also how to prioritize the 4G LTE over wifi, good observation.

Update, I was able to use an old version of my account (which was used on an older phone) and was able to confirm that it is programed to disable wifi connection and activate the 4g services while using the my acct app without having to disable wifi manually. A message even popped up to tell you so. And once you exited the my acct app it would restore your wifi connection from 4g. So it is controlled via the program itself.

So it begs the question, why doesn't the newer version not do this? This now looks like 2 separate issues with wifi and wifi calling.

Keydas

Apr 16, 2014
Verify if Wifi Calling is still enabled even though you have it disabled

I just found a way to verify if wifi calling is still enabled even though you have it disabled on the Note 3. Here is what you need to do.
1. Make sure that wifi calling is disabled
2. Make sure that wifi is already enabled and in use
3. Stand right next to your wifi router
4. Make a call
5. Listen to hear any wired sounding ringback (the sound you hear to let you know that a call is actually ringing the recipients phone).
6. If you do notice a wired sounding ringback complete the call and stay on the line for about 30 seconds or so.
7. Disable wifi while on the call.
8. Once disabled did your call drop?

This is what I did in order to verify if wifi calling is still enabled even though I have it disabled on my phone. :eek:

I'm not going to say it's happening to every one. Nor would I suggest it's a bad feature for those who need wifi calling. I just don't understand why I'm forced to use wifi calling when I fully capable of using my 4g network.

Last edited:

CravingMender9

Jun 6, 2011
Charlotte
www.rahulisola.com
I just found a way to verify if wifi calling is still enabled even though you have it disabled on the Note 3. Here is what you need to do.
1. Make sure that wifi calling is disabled
2. Make sure that wifi is already enabled and in use
3. Stand right next to your wifi router
4. Make a call
5. Listen to hear any wired sounding ringback (the sound you hear to let you know that a call is actually ringing the recipients phone).
6. If you do notice a wired sounding ringback complete the call and stay on the line for about 30 seconds or so.
7. Disable wifi while on the call.
8. Once disabled did your call drop?

This is what I did in order to verify if wifi calling is still enabled even though I have it disabled on my phone. :eek:

I'm not going to say it's happening to every one. Nor would I suggest it's a bad feature for those who need wifi calling. I just don't understand why I'm forced to use wifi calling when I fully capable of using my 4g network.

Can you check and tell if you still have signal (bars) when you are connected to WiFi? Or does it become blank (0 bars)?

CravingMender9

Jun 6, 2011
Charlotte
www.rahulisola.com
Reactions: Keydas and Lorettaa

Keydas

Apr 16, 2014
Rahulisola, thanks for the link. I was able to fix the issue by doing a factory reset. Not sure what caused it but now I can disable wifi and the call stays connected. Although I found it odd that wifi calling was forced enabled during the reset while I was setting up the wifi network. Disabling it after the factory reset setup did prove it was really off this time. I also noticed that I'm not seeing "HD Voice" which I know assume is related to wifi calling. As I've seen HD Voice whenever I was within my wifi range during a call.

Also, Lorettaa thanks for looking into this as well. I really don't know what caused the problem but I'm glad it's fixed now :). No more of pitched ring backs while making a call. And no more odd echo voices when talking. And most importantly no dropped calls.

Last edited:

CravingMender9

Jun 6, 2011
Charlotte
www.rahulisola.com
Rahulisola, thanks for the link. I was able to fix the issue by doing a factory reset. Not sure what caused it but now I can disable wifi and the call stays connected. Although I found it odd that wifi calling was forced enabled during the reset while I was setting up the wifi network. Disabling it after the factory reset setup did prove it was really off this time. I also noticed that I'm not seeing "HD Voice" which I know assume is related to wifi calling. As I've seen HD Voice whenever I was within my wifi range during a call.

Also, Lorettaa thanks for looking into this as well. I really don't know what caused the problem but I'm glad it's fixed now :). No more of pitched ring backs while making a call. And no more odd echo voices when talking. And most importantly no dropped calls.

Glad that it is solved. Usually I always do factory reset 1st and ask anyone with problems to do that too. My bad, I assumed you had already done it. Must be some other thread. Too much work catching up on me ;)

Anyways, enjoy your fixed Note 3 :)

Top Liked Posts