Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,130 Members 53,912 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

M8 and OTG?

Tip us?

animez
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 90
Default M8 and OTG?

Anyone try to connect a flash drive with an OTG cable? I am s-off, perm root with TWRP recovery on stock rom. I ordered a 64gb SD card because my 32gb was getting full. I pulled out the 32gb and put it in a thumb drive type USB adapter and connected it via an OTG cable to transfer everything over but it seemed to be constantly bouncing between being connected and disconnecting. Is this a KitKat issue it something HTC has done?

Sent from my VZW HTC One (M8)
By and large, language is a tool for concealing the truth.
George Carlin

fwp
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by animez View Post
Anyone try to connect a flash drive with an OTG cable? I am s-off, perm root with TWRP recovery on stock rom. I ordered a 64gb SD card because my 32gb was getting full. I pulled out the 32gb and put it in a thumb drive type USB adapter and connected it via an OTG cable to transfer everything over but it seemed to be constantly bouncing between being connected and disconnecting. Is this a KitKat issue it something HTC has done?

Is it one of the SanDisk Mobile Mate adapters? I have had those corrupt cards often; more often than not actually, and had issues with it dropping out like you said. Not just on Android either. Have you tried an actual thumbdrive? I am not positive, but there may be constraints on what file system you use as well. To be safe, try formatting a thumbdrive as fat32 or ext3 and see what happens. If that's stable, try a different adapter.

animez
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 90
The adapter is by IOGear and has worked with this setup on other phones. I did a little more experimenting this morning. I tried another 32gb card that behaved the same way, but I was able to mount both a 1gb card and a 16gb thumb drive. Just to see what happened I also plugged in a 320gb USB powered external drive, it powered up and the phone saw it but told me it was blank or used an unrecognized file format. It may be NTFS, I'm not sure.

George Carlin

sorcerer86
Old
(Last edited by sorcerer86; 23rd April 2014 at 12:18 PM.) Reason: links added
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
The adapter is by IOGear and has worked with this setup on other phones. I did a little more experimenting this morning. I tried another 32gb card that behaved the same way, but I was able to mount both a 1gb card and a 16gb thumb drive. Just to see what happened I also plugged in a 320gb USB powered external drive, it powered up and the phone saw it but told me it was blank or used an unrecognized file format. It may be NTFS, I'm not sure.

For ntfs drives I use stickmount and also ntfs mounter. Both free versions and must be used together. Works great

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ll.ntfsmounter

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ire.stickmount

hgoldner
Old
Thanks Meter 518
My Meenova does *not* work with the M8, although it works with all of my other Android devices. However, an OTG cable does work, and I have accessed USB flash drives on my M8.
Verizon Wireless HTC One M8 - Rooted/S-Off
Firmware/ROM: Stock 1.55.605.2
Asus Transformer TF300T - Rooted/unlocked
Firmware/ROM: 10.6.1.27.5 firmware; TWRP; CROMI-X
Nexus 7 FHD (2013) - Rooted/locked - KitKat KTU84L (v4.4.3)
Chromecast - Rooted
Firmware/ROM:: FlashCast; Eureka ROM
Retired devices: HTC Rezound; Nexus 7 (2012); HTC Droid Incredible; Arnova 10 G2

l7777
Old
Thanks Meter 77
I have one of these with an extra 64gb card and it works well.

animez
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer86 View Post
For ntfs drives I use stickmount and also ntfs mounter. Both free versions and must be used together. Works great

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ll.ntfsmounter

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ire.stickmount
I tried the stickmount/NTFS mounter combo but it didn't work. I reformatted the drive as exFAT under Windows 7 and it works perfectly now. Transfer speeds are crazy too. I copied 9.8gb of music from the external SD to the drive in about 17 minutes.

George Carlin

sorcerer86
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
I tried the stickmount/NTFS mounter combo but it didn't work. I reformatted the drive as exFAT under Windows 7 and it works perfectly now. Transfer speeds are crazy too. I copied 9.8gb of music from the external SD to the drive in about 17 minutes.

Hmm. I use my 64gb transcend USB stick ntfs formatted all the time with no problems.