FORUMS

3D Printable Mobile Microscope? Nexus 7 Discontinued – XDA TV

The Nexus 7 2013 has been discontinued on the Google Store! That and … more

Which Lockscreen Security Type Do You Use?

From pattern locks to the controversial face unlock, there are a number of different ways you … more

Xposed 3.0 Alpha 3 Released

A new alpha for the Xposed framework is out and brings several bug fixes. You’ll only need to flash … more

XDA Recap: This Week In Android (Apr 18 – 25)

Here in the digital XDA newsroom, we spend our days pouring over an average of … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

M8 and OTG?

23rd April 2014, 01:24 AM |#1  
animez's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Knoxville, TN
Thanks Meter: 99
 
More
Anyone try to connect a flash drive with an OTG cable? I am s-off, perm root with TWRP recovery on stock rom. I ordered a 64gb SD card because my 32gb was getting full. I pulled out the 32gb and put it in a thumb drive type USB adapter and connected it via an OTG cable to transfer everything over but it seemed to be constantly bouncing between being connected and disconnecting. Is this a KitKat issue it something HTC has done?

Sent from my VZW HTC One (M8)
 
 
23rd April 2014, 07:14 AM |#2  
Member
Thanks Meter: 3
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by animez

Anyone try to connect a flash drive with an OTG cable? I am s-off, perm root with TWRP recovery on stock rom. I ordered a 64gb SD card because my 32gb was getting full. I pulled out the 32gb and put it in a thumb drive type USB adapter and connected it via an OTG cable to transfer everything over but it seemed to be constantly bouncing between being connected and disconnecting. Is this a KitKat issue it something HTC has done?

Sent from my VZW HTC One (M8)

Is it one of the SanDisk Mobile Mate adapters? I have had those corrupt cards often; more often than not actually, and had issues with it dropping out like you said. Not just on Android either. Have you tried an actual thumbdrive? I am not positive, but there may be constraints on what file system you use as well. To be safe, try formatting a thumbdrive as fat32 or ext3 and see what happens. If that's stable, try a different adapter.
23rd April 2014, 11:26 AM |#3  
animez's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Knoxville, TN
Thanks Meter: 99
 
More
The adapter is by IOGear and has worked with this setup on other phones. I did a little more experimenting this morning. I tried another 32gb card that behaved the same way, but I was able to mount both a 1gb card and a 16gb thumb drive. Just to see what happened I also plugged in a 320gb USB powered external drive, it powered up and the phone saw it but told me it was blank or used an unrecognized file format. It may be NTFS, I'm not sure.

Sent from my VZW HTC One (M8)
23rd April 2014, 12:12 PM |#4  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by animez

The adapter is by IOGear and has worked with this setup on other phones. I did a little more experimenting this morning. I tried another 32gb card that behaved the same way, but I was able to mount both a 1gb card and a 16gb thumb drive. Just to see what happened I also plugged in a 320gb USB powered external drive, it powered up and the phone saw it but told me it was blank or used an unrecognized file format. It may be NTFS, I'm not sure.

Sent from my VZW HTC One (M8)

For ntfs drives I use stickmount and also ntfs mounter. Both free versions and must be used together. Works great

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ll.ntfsmounter


https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ire.stickmount
Last edited by sorcerer86; 23rd April 2014 at 12:18 PM. Reason: links added
23rd April 2014, 04:36 PM |#5  
hgoldner's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Southeastern Pennsylvania
Thanks Meter: 666
 
More
My Meenova does *not* work with the M8, although it works with all of my other Android devices. However, an OTG cable does work, and I have accessed USB flash drives on my M8.
23rd April 2014, 09:46 PM |#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 99
 
More
I have one of these with an extra 64gb card and it works well.
24th April 2014, 11:58 AM |#7  
animez's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Knoxville, TN
Thanks Meter: 99
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer86

For ntfs drives I use stickmount and also ntfs mounter. Both free versions and must be used together. Works great

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ll.ntfsmounter


https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ire.stickmount

I tried the stickmount/NTFS mounter combo but it didn't work. I reformatted the drive as exFAT under Windows 7 and it works perfectly now. Transfer speeds are crazy too. I copied 9.8gb of music from the external SD to the drive in about 17 minutes.

Sent from my VZW HTC One (M8)
24th April 2014, 01:09 PM |#8  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by animez

I tried the stickmount/NTFS mounter combo but it didn't work. I reformatted the drive as exFAT under Windows 7 and it works perfectly now. Transfer speeds are crazy too. I copied 9.8gb of music from the external SD to the drive in about 17 minutes.

Sent from my VZW HTC One (M8)

Hmm. I use my 64gb transcend USB stick ntfs formatted all the time with no problems.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in Verizon One (M8) Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting by ThreadRank