Updated Android Lollipop Preview Images – XDA TV

The Android Lollipop Preview Images are now available! That and much more news is … more

Get a Complete Set of Logs with Andy Log

The importance of proper logging is undeniable. No, we’re not talking about lumberjack work. … more

Try Some Android Lollipop Applications on Your Device

Android 5.0 Lollipop has been officially announced and lucky users of Google Nexus 5 … more

AutoCon Manages Your Connections to Perserve Battery Life

As we’ve talked about in the past, battery life is still somewhat of a sore … more

M8 and OTG?

OP animez

23rd April 2014, 01:24 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Knoxville, TN
Thanks Meter: 90

528 posts
More
Anyone try to connect a flash drive with an OTG cable? I am s-off, perm root with TWRP recovery on stock rom. I ordered a 64gb SD card because my 32gb was getting full. I pulled out the 32gb and put it in a thumb drive type USB adapter and connected it via an OTG cable to transfer everything over but it seemed to be constantly bouncing between being connected and disconnecting. Is this a KitKat issue it something HTC has done?

Sent from my VZW HTC One (M8)
23rd April 2014, 07:14 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 3

36 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by animez

Anyone try to connect a flash drive with an OTG cable? I am s-off, perm root with TWRP recovery on stock rom. I ordered a 64gb SD card because my 32gb was getting full. I pulled out the 32gb and put it in a thumb drive type USB adapter and connected it via an OTG cable to transfer everything over but it seemed to be constantly bouncing between being connected and disconnecting. Is this a KitKat issue it something HTC has done?

Is it one of the SanDisk Mobile Mate adapters? I have had those corrupt cards often; more often than not actually, and had issues with it dropping out like you said. Not just on Android either. Have you tried an actual thumbdrive? I am not positive, but there may be constraints on what file system you use as well. To be safe, try formatting a thumbdrive as fat32 or ext3 and see what happens. If that's stable, try a different adapter.
23rd April 2014, 11:26 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Knoxville, TN

528 posts
More
The adapter is by IOGear and has worked with this setup on other phones. I did a little more experimenting this morning. I tried another 32gb card that behaved the same way, but I was able to mount both a 1gb card and a 16gb thumb drive. Just to see what happened I also plugged in a 320gb USB powered external drive, it powered up and the phone saw it but told me it was blank or used an unrecognized file format. It may be NTFS, I'm not sure.

23rd April 2014, 12:12 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 1

17 posts
Quote:

The adapter is by IOGear and has worked with this setup on other phones. I did a little more experimenting this morning. I tried another 32gb card that behaved the same way, but I was able to mount both a 1gb card and a 16gb thumb drive. Just to see what happened I also plugged in a 320gb USB powered external drive, it powered up and the phone saw it but told me it was blank or used an unrecognized file format. It may be NTFS, I'm not sure.

For ntfs drives I use stickmount and also ntfs mounter. Both free versions and must be used together. Works great

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ll.ntfsmounter

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ire.stickmount
Last edited by sorcerer86; 23rd April 2014 at 12:18 PM. Reason: links added
23rd April 2014, 04:36 PM   |  #5  
Flag Southeastern Pennsylvania
Thanks Meter: 552

2,117 posts
More
My Meenova does *not* work with the M8, although it works with all of my other Android devices. However, an OTG cable does work, and I have accessed USB flash drives on my M8.
23rd April 2014, 09:46 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 78

325 posts
I have one of these with an extra 64gb card and it works well.
24th April 2014, 11:58 AM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Knoxville, TN

528 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer86

For ntfs drives I use stickmount and also ntfs mounter. Both free versions and must be used together. Works great

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ll.ntfsmounter

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ire.stickmount

I tried the stickmount/NTFS mounter combo but it didn't work. I reformatted the drive as exFAT under Windows 7 and it works perfectly now. Transfer speeds are crazy too. I copied 9.8gb of music from the external SD to the drive in about 17 minutes.

24th April 2014, 01:09 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 1

17 posts
Quote:

I tried the stickmount/NTFS mounter combo but it didn't work. I reformatted the drive as exFAT under Windows 7 and it works perfectly now. Transfer speeds are crazy too. I copied 9.8gb of music from the external SD to the drive in about 17 minutes.

Hmm. I use my 64gb transcend USB stick ntfs formatted all the time with no problems.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread