[Q] Q: Chromebooks: HP Chromebook 14 vs. new Samsung Chromebook 2??

16th March 2014, 04:17 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 13

44 posts
More
Hello! My Dell laptop is broken and have decided to get a Chromebook after realizing I don't do much on my previous laptop except web surfing. I do have a Note 3 and Nook HD+ 9in rooted with CM10 installed but sometimes I just have to browse on a bigger screen with a dedicated keyboard for typing. Having full blown Chrome browser instead of the mobile version is great too. So, I need a bit of help trying to decide between the two Chromebooks I've narrowed down to.

Here are the specs for the HP Chromebook 14 (from walmart):

Key Features and Benefits:
Intel Celeron 2955U processor
1.40GHz, 2MB L3 Cache
4GB DDR3 SDRAM system memory
16GB solid state drive
Store 10,000 photos, 4,500 songs or 8 hours of HD video and more
802.11a/b/g/n Wireless LAN
Wirelessly connect to a WiFi signal or hotspot with the 802.11a/b/g/n connection built into your PC
Intel HD Graphics
With HDMI capabilities
Bluetooth
HP TrueVision HD webcam
SD memory card reader
1 x USB 2.0 port, 2 x USB 3.0 ports, 1 x HDMI port, 1 x headphone/microphone jack
4-cell lithium-ion battery
4.07 lbs, 0.81" x 13.56" x 9.44"
Price: $349

Samsung Chromebook 2 (from samsung; will be release in April):

Size: 13.3"
Resolution: Full HD LED Display (1920x1080)
Processor: Exynos 5 Octa (2.1GHz, 2mb L2 cache)
Memory: 4GB DDR3L system memory at 1600MHz
Storage: 16gb e.MMC iNAND embedded flash drive
Camera: 720p HD web camera
Battery life: up to 8.5 hours
Dimensions: 12.72" x 8.8" x x.65"
Weight: 3.09 lbs
Ports: 1 HDMI, 1 USB3.0, 1 USB2.0, MicroSD multi-media card reader, Headphone out/Mic-in combo, DC in
Price: $399.99

Does it look like it will be worth it to spend an extra $50 for the Samsung to get HD resolution and a better processor? I do like the HP's bigger size but at least the Samsung isn't as small as the other Chromebooks (11 inches).

Thanks all!
24th April 2014, 03:40 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 42

108 posts
More
Hi, hope my reply is not too late.

I purchased the HP 14 two months ago and I havent looked back. I am not a big games player but I do use a laptop a lot as I am a teacher and use presentations very often. It took a bit of getting used to working in a different way but I havent used Powerpoint on my laptop for over a month now.

I am more than happy with the HP with long battery life at 7hrs plus, good graphics (although some moan abaout the screen), easy use keyboard and a responsive touchpad.

So, I cant say anything about the samsung but the HP is a nice piece of kit with the 3g built in.

Kev
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
chromebooks
Previous Thread Next Thread

Top Threads in Questions and Answers by ThreadRank